IGNORED

Auxillary Mirrors

MBrockman5

Can anyone recommend some decent, yet inexpensive auxillary mirrors? I've started to realize that the factory fairing mirrors are not very convenient and now I'm looking to add a set to my handle bars for some better rear visibility, but I'm limited in budget.

I added some K1200RS mirrors to mine,...can't remember where I bought them, but I'm frugal so they couldn't have been very expensive.

Something like this (not my bike):

image.png.d79ebb1ca5ee421567c121b06b072e10.png

• Like 1

I got these off ebay, not sure what the cost but they are BMW mirrors.  Weren't that expensive, less than 100.  Not perfect shape but good enough till I find something better.

l7nochH.jpg

Ok. Is there anything I need to remember when buying mirrors? (i.e. bolt length, diameter, thread type, etc)

I really like the "oval-ish" shape of the K1200RS mirrors. I think they'd provide the largest field of view compared to round mirrors.

11 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

Ok. Is there anything I need to remember when buying mirrors? (i.e. bolt length, diameter, thread type, etc)

I really like the "oval-ish" shape of the K1200RS mirrors. I think they'd provide the largest field of view compared to round mirrors.

If you get the k1200 mirrors, nothing to remember, they'll slide right in the holes that are already there.

11 hours ago, MBrockman5 said:

Morning  MBrockman5

The K1200RS mirrors look good & fit OK.  Only slight problem is that for some riders they don't adjust out quite far enough in stock form. They were designed for the  K1200RS handlebar angle not the 1200RT angle. They are close & for most riders work OK but some can't quite keep them adjusted out far enough.

The bases of the  K1200RS mirrors  only fit the handlebar pockets in a specific way to that part is pretty well fixed. The upper mirror  stem is mounted to the lowed mount on a swivel type base & those are clocked to each other with a locating spring/ball/depression.   

The upper ball socket at the mirror head is also limited in the adjustment outward.

If you have bar spacers (up & rearward) those usually allow a little more 'out' adjustment.

On my personal 1200RT I have the K1200RS mirrors but had to re-work the lower mount locating depression hole to allow the mirrors to move out far enough for me.

Not a deal beaker,  just something to be aware of the possibility.

23 hours ago, EvilTwin said:

I got these off ebay, not sure what the cost but they are BMW mirrors.  Weren't that expensive, less than 100.  Not perfect shape but good enough till I find something better.

l7nochH.jpg

Those look like GS mirrors, I had them on my RT they worked great.

I have the ovalish on my 06 RT. As Dirtrider mentions, some like to have them a bit more to the outside than the factory detent allows. I count myself in that group, so what I did was drill another pair of 'detent' holes so the mirrors would stay in a slightly more outward position.

Here you can see they are offset just slightly.

4383.thumb.jpg.4ced65bd5790d20704cda43917d7f604.jpg.9ca7ce042f330d62f4f80e904281d20a.jpg

And the second set of indents I drilled so the 'balls' on the upper mirror would sit in the holes.

4386.thumb.jpg.e3025e29497d0dd995c99a6c7776abfc.jpg.944328f08e783f6885738c4261145f09.jpg

If you get these mirrors and decide you want them to point outward more, before drilling the second set of detents, I would suggest first rotating the mirror on the base several times with a little downward pressure - so the the balls will lightly score the lower plate where you will be drilling the detents. The scoring - think of it as tracing a circular line - will create a guide for where to drill your detent.  I hope that makes sense?

Here's a link to an old thread (2009) about this, so links may be broken, but there is some useful discussion about the round and ovalish mirrors.

• 4 weeks later...

One good thing about adding the extra mirrors, I adjust the fairing mounted mirrors for checking the blind spot at the 4:00-5:00 and 7:00-8:00 positions.

• 3 weeks later...