IGNORED

Hertz rents BMW motorcycles

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta
40 minutes ago, catskill said:

To rent a R1250RT in Las Vegas is $155 per day. It's a little pricey.

I remember paying >$100 per diem for a HD years ago in LV and again in SL.  It's the $2k hold on your cc for damages that can bite.  At least that's what I experienced.

I will save my bike rentals for overseas.  I rented (hired) a 2019 1250 RT from London to Wales.  For next June in Rome, Italy I may use another bike hire (not Hertz) with the stipulation to return it on Sunday, though all they have is the 1200 RT, not the 1250.  (Hum bug)  I may look into using Hertz, that has the 1250 RT  .  I have some time to decide.  Thanks for reminding me about Hertz; I use them frequently on the car side.

On 9/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, wbw6cos said:

For next June in Rome, Italy I may use another bike hire (not Hertz) with the stipulation to return it on Sunday, though all they have is the 1200 RT, not the 1250.  (Hum bug)  I may look into using Hertz, that has the 1250 RT  .  I have some time to decide.  Thanks for reminding me about Hertz; I use them frequently on the car side.

Before riding away from the moto noleggio on your bike, you might want to verify with the rental location that they are actually open on Sunday to receive your rental return.  In Italy, if you do an online booking for a rental ending on Sunday, that is no guarantee that anyone will be there.  I owned and operated a touring business in Italy and have had this happen to clients of mine who had booked a car rental with Hertz.  It also happened to me when trying to return a car to Budget in Torino on a holiday.  My rental agreement clearly had the holiday as the return date, but the rental location was closed.   This isn't much of a worry at airport rentals if you can get a bike there, but in town rentals are often closed. 

4 hours ago, RPondaRoad said:

Before riding away from the moto noleggio on your bike, you might want to verify with the rental location that they are actually open on Sunday to receive your rental return.  In Italy, if you do an online booking for a rental ending on Sunday, that is no guarantee that anyone will be there.  I owned and operated a touring business in Italy and have had this happen to clients of mine who had booked a car rental with Hertz.  It also happened to me when trying to return a car to Budget in Torino on a holiday.  My rental agreement clearly had the holiday as the return date, but the rental location was closed.   This isn't much of a worry at airport rentals if you can get a bike there, but in town rentals are often closed. 

Thanks for the feedback.  I have made contact with a few bike hires and specifically inquired about Sunday returns.  Yeah, they told me that 10 months out they cannot confirm if they will have a volunteer to come in and collect the bike.  Some places have key drops and I will have to roll the dice if I leave it to be checked in when they open the next day.

I just checked and for an RT for a week renting and returning to Riverside CA it is $784 which is not bad at all.   I have rented about 5 times from Harley when they had the Harley Corporate rental program and was very pleased and this is comparable to the best rate I got through Harley. 

John Ranalletta
On 9/16/2019 at 12:48 AM, RTinNC said:

I just checked and for an RT for a week renting and returning to Riverside CA it is $784 which is not bad at all.   I have rented about 5 times from Harley when they had the Harley Corporate rental program and was very pleased and this is comparable to the best rate I got through Harley. 

Rent in Riverside, a leisurely ride up the coast to the UN.  A leisurely ride to Riverside thru the back country and a 3-hour plane ride home.  Hmmmmm....

9 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Rent in Riverside, a leisurely ride up the coast to the UN.  A leisurely ride to Riverside thru the back country and a 3-hour plane ride home.  Hmmmmm....

Here's one possibility for you:  15N>138W>Lone Pine Cyn>2W>210>5>126>150>33>58>229>41>1>Old Creek Rd>Santa Rosa Rd>1.  This is assuming UN in somewhere close to Cambria.  Haha, hopefully it'll be on Moonstone Beach.

• 2 months later...

Oh wow!  The only two US cities where you can rent a BMW is Lost Wages and, of all places,  Riverside, (freaking) CA.  Some choices!  About the last place I would ever and I do mean EVER rent a motorcycle much less be caught dead is southern California!  Just the thought is enough to make my old Oregonian bones just ache.

1 hour ago, JamesW said:

Oh wow!  The only two US cities where you can rent a BMW is Lost Wages and, of all places,  Riverside, (freaking) CA.  Some choices!  About the last place I would ever and I do mean EVER rent a motorcycle much less be caught dead is southern California!  Just the thought is enough to make my old Oregonian bones just ache.

Pick up a bike in Riverside, and in a few hours you can be in California's Gold Country in the Sierras.  You can play on Angeles Crest Highway inside of an hour, and then take a very nice backroad route put together by our own MrDuck north through the foothills to get to Oakhurst, at the south end of 49.

A bigger catch is that the closest place you can fly into is Ontario, 15-20 miles away depending on route.

Hi Bill,  Now if we could just get Californians to see the light and stay there especially when they retire then we could get some peace and quiet around these parts again especially in summer months.  You need to work on this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/10/2019 at 6:13 PM, wbw6cos said:

I will save my bike rentals for overseas.  I rented (hired) a 2019 1250 RT from London to Wales.  For next June in Rome, Italy I may use another bike hire (not Hertz) with the stipulation to return it on Sunday, though all they have is the 1200 RT, not the 1250.  (Hum bug)  I may look into using Hertz, that has the 1250 RT  .  I have some time to decide.  Thanks for reminding me about Hertz; I use them frequently on the car side.

Check with HPMotorrad Rentals We've rented from them in Milan, they delivered the bikes to our hotel. They have offices all through Italy, including Rome. https://www.hpmotorrad.rentals/en/negozi

• Like 1

Thanks PatM, I ended up using hpmotorrad rental.  I am picking the bike up in Rome as we will spend a few days there then will head out to Fano, with an overnight stop in Assisi.

Ciao'

Zippy in San Diego rents bikes.  Last time Moshe came out, we rented a few bikes for the weekend.  I got the BMW 1100 RS.  Fun ride.

Looks *very* loosely affiliated with Hertz Car Rental Agency.

Can't log in with your Hertz Gold Plus number, can't use reward points.

Each location seems to be near a BMW Motorrad dealership. Would not surprise me if Hertz didn't just latch onto an existing dealership's rental service and just put some marketing glitz around it. I know BMW Las Vegas has been renting out bikes for years.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:13 PM, wbw6cos said:

Thanks PatM, I ended up using hpmotorrad rental.  I am picking the bike up in Rome as we will spend a few days there then will head out to Fano, with an overnight stop in Assisi.

Ciao'

Great! Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2019 at 10:09 PM, Stir said:

Zippy in San Diego rents bikes.  Last time Moshe came out, we rented a few bikes for the weekend.  I got the BMW 1100 RS.  Fun ride.

Googled Zippy in San Diego without success....more info please. 

NGreenSxrambler

I am so glad that we are getting more options to rent on travel. It seems to be BMW for now, I'm sure Hondas are next. Everyone should  check out TwistedRoad.com for rentals also. It is a cool peer to peer rental service that I have rented from in Chicago, Phoenix, and Austin.

They are all good for all bikers!

Nick

On 12/4/2019 at 4:11 AM, mickeym3 said:

Googled Zippy in San Diego without success....more info please. 

It seems they have changed their name.  It's now "Renty Car Rental"  Their website isn't loading for me.  But there is a phone number.

M

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/30/2019 at 2:15 PM, JamesW said:

To each his own. There is some great country in Southern California. Never lived there, I grew up in Alaska and lived in Northern California for a long time, but I have spent a lot of time in Southern California. It isn't all LA and overcrowded beaches. There are great mountains and deserts to the east.

• Like 1

To the east?  Just a lot of hot burned out wasteland and sucked dry as in the Owens Valley.  If someone told me I had to choose between CA and jail for the duration I'd pick jail.  So long as it isn't in CA.  And now I'll tell you what I really think...:rofl: 

• Like 1