IGNORED

Ewan and Charley plug in?

Whip

It seems the third “Long Way ...” could have a new twist.

Long Way Up

This could backfire on Harley?

Or this info is not correct?

Will they be charging the bikes with generators?

is it April fools in September?

I apologize in advance for the pessimistic attitude but this is a joke. Three fossil fuel support gas (diesel!) hogs just so this “eco friendly” farce can happen. 

Harley must be willing to try anything to generate a "spark" :/ with the LiveWire. Seems like the wrong venue if a lot of off road is involved, to me. They should have given this thing a facelift and rolled the dice. 

Harley-Davidson-pan-america-1260-adventu

On 9/9/2019 at 7:59 AM, Rinkydink said:

I apologize in advance for the pessimistic attitude but this is a joke. Three fossil fuel support gas (diesel!) hogs just so this “eco friendly” farce can happen. 

I was thinking the same thing, until I realized that even a gas-powered trip will involve several chase vehicles for the camera crew, gear, mechanics, spare parts, etc.  None of these sorts of trips (video entertainment) involves unplanned actual adventure, it's all scripted with sufficient support staff and gear to make it seem spontaneous.  In that regard, lugging a bunch of charging gear around is no better or worse than any other sort of filmed 'adventure'.

Yeah, I'm getting old and cynical too.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Antimatter said:

I was thinking the same thing, until I realized that even a gas-powered trip will involve several chase vehicles for the camera crew, gear, mechanics, spare parts, etc.  None of these sorts of trips (video entertainment) involves unplanned actual adventure, it's all scripted with sufficient support staff and gear to make it seem spontaneous.  In that regard, lugging a bunch of charging gear around is no better or worse than any other sort of filmed 'adventure'.

Yeah, I'm getting old and cynical too.

True, but....the all fossil fuel endeavors generally aren’t preaching “we are saving the world” while on their hedonistic trips. Envious? Hell yes I am. 

I’ve become my father. A curmudgeon in training

This reminds me of my childhood when busses in Texas use to connect to overhead wires with some device on the top of the bus.  When they needed to change cardinal heading...like going north on one street and then turning west on the next street....they would have to get out and move the wire contraption to a different set of overhead lines.

I remember thinking that seemed really weird because my slot cars didn't need to do that to change track direction.

Two lost Chicago icons--a Pulaski Road trolley bus and The Buffalo (1973)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

True, but....the all fossil fuel endeavors generally aren’t preaching “we are saving the world” while on their hedonistic trips. Envious? Hell yes I am. 

I’ve become my father. A curmudgeon in training

I think the message is actually 'Buy this HD bike'. 

Let me emphasize that this is neither a criticism of anyone, or a snide comment - but isn't it interesting how polarizing electrical vehicles have become?  As an aside, if electrical motorcycles could be purchased for what I buy used gas-powered bikes for, I'd definitely have one for commuting.  I have a 40 mile round trip commute, and my parking garage at work has level 2 plug-in stations.  The thought of no oil changes or valve checks, and only tires, belt/chain, brakes and brake fluid is mighty tempting. 

Threadjack over. 

You probably wouldn’t have many brake pad changes either with regen/“engine” braking, and direct drive or an in-hub motor would get rid of those chain requirements as well. ...pretty soon it could just be tires!

On 9/9/2019 at 5:59 AM, Rinkydink said:

I agree.  But then my grandmother said the same thing back in 1912:  "Sure, that gas-powered auto-mobile looks like fun, but when there's work to be done, give me my horse and plow every time."  So you gotta start somewhere.  Eventually, dead dinosaur juice will go the way of the horse and plow.  Mind you, they're still around, but mostly as a hobby.

• Like 2
On 9/11/2019 at 9:19 AM, Antimatter said:

I think the message is actually 'Buy this HD bike'. 

Let me emphasize that this is neither a criticism of anyone, or a snide comment - but isn't it interesting how polarizing electrical vehicles have become?  As an aside, if electrical motorcycles could be purchased for what I buy used gas-powered bikes for, I'd definitely have one for commuting.  I have a 40 mile round trip commute, and my parking garage at work has level 2 plug-in stations.  The thought of no oil changes or valve checks, and only tires, belt/chain, brakes and brake fluid is mighty tempting. 

Threadjack over. 

Don't forget the cost of new batteries at some point.  My aunt had a hybrid Lexus for several years and it began  doing od things, took it to the dealer and it was diagnosed as bad rechargeable batteries and the entire set had to be replaced.  It was out of warranty and EXPENSIVE.  About a year later she was rear-ended by a pickup that totaled her hybrid, new batteries and all.  Remember, these are not off-the-shelf type batteries, either.  Gotta believe someone will come along with aftermarket battery kits sooner or later, but they will still be EXPENSIVE, too.  You'll be wishing for the "good ole days" of "oil changes or valve checks".

• Like 1

Loved the first Long Way Round.  Been meaning to watch the Long Way Down.  Have no desire to watch this HD commercial that's probably less about the ride and more about electric bikes.  Guess even they can Jump The Shark.  Only being able to go 70-95 miles between charges is gonna be a lot of stops.  This show won't be about the ride or the adventure, but about the electric charging.  No thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
John Bentall

In the UK, we have Tesla Superchargers and Ecotricity chargers. The difficulty is that the Ecotricity chargers do not always work, whereas the Tesla ones seems to be 100 reliable. 

Moral of the story: not only does the infrastructure need to be in place, but it needs to as reliable as a fuel pump. 

• Like 1