IGNORED

Things you find in your attic

ltljohn

When I was on the Sara and the Kennedy, I'd get up on Vulture's row to try and take some happy snaps of the 14's, A7's, A6's,...hell, any bird launching,....with the blast gate up, it shot the heat straight up to the row,....I'd say to my self, "take the heat, take the heat, take the heat", then duck down 'cause I couldn't take the heat.

• Like 2
Joe Frickin' Friday

The pic of all the 3.5" floppies struck a chord.  Software started to get big before storage media did.  Back in the mid-90s I installed Microsoft's Visual C++ (a programming software package).  It came on a stack of twenty 3.5" disks, which took maybe an hour of babysitting to fully install.  And of course, with only 1.44 megabytes of capacity on each disk, that was less than 30 megabytes total, whereas software packages today are measured in gigabytes.  Certainly there's more functionality today, but not that much more.  

:5146:

43 minutes ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The pic of all the 3.5" floppies struck a chord.  Software started to get big before storage media did.  Back in the mid-90s I installed Microsoft's Visual C++ (a programming software package).  It came on a stack of twenty 3.5" disks, which took maybe an hour of babysitting to fully install.  And of course, with only 1.44 megabytes of capacity on each disk, that was less than 30 megabytes total, whereas software packages today are measured in gigabytes.  Certainly there's more functionality today, but not that much more.  

:5146:

We're still finding Bernoulli's

image.png.e8c38574c560eccbe3952916c988750f.pngimage.png.3b513e2d7c3da96cb2b17cd44652c43f.png

And 10" floppy's at my work

image.png.8c090b3408b37634534448aeaba5ab75.png

Some of the young'un's ask "What's that?"  I simply reply, "one song"

Along with hard drives with 10" aluminum platters, some slightly smaller platinum platters and still maintain a small assortment of data reels for historical data

18 hours ago, Living the Dream said:

MARDET,.....hopefully, I didn't buttstroke you during a security alert:18:

image.png.f842a74c95d8db7708e6669edf4ce13d.png

Not a chance I was smart enough get against the bulkhead preferably behind some kind electrical box.  I did see a JO get run over once though.  If I remember correctly MARDET birthing was on the 3rd deck stbd side just aft of the fwd mess decks.

23 minutes ago, ltljohn said:

Not a chance I was smart enough get against the bulkhead preferably behind some kind electrical box.  I did see a JO get run over once though.  If I remember correctly MARDET birthing was on the 3rd deck stbd side just aft of the fwd mess decks.

Yep,...it's all that "failure to follow simple instructions" thing, but we, at least me, sucked the bulkhead during fire drills/alarms. 

On the Sara, we put a whole formation of you guys on the non-skid once,......they had their dress whites on,......and we caught hell for that one.  We did a security alert during the Christmas dinner with all the family members on the mess decks too,.......caught hell for that one as well with Marines running across tables, loud guttural yelling, with rifles and shotguns out,.....women and children were screaming,......it was funny at the time.

Yes, that was our location.  Somebody before me documented his time on Big John,.....notice the weapon we were most proficient with in the lower right corner,.......ugh,...doing blue tile.

image.png.8d879b4a616378c3ee86557fedf76d55.png

7 hours ago, ltljohn said:

Oh yes, if you are not busy you can always handle a buffer or a needle gun.

....or an un-rep line.   

Do any of you guys recall un-rep training/fueling off of Norfolk along side the USS Canisteo AO-99?  The time frame was between '85 - '86.  Seems like I remember doing an un-rep with the Kennedy.  One of my step-cousins was a QM on the JFK, maybe around "83 or so.  He used to get restricted to the ship quite frequently, possibly for fighting.

16 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

....or an un-rep line.   

Do any of you guys recall un-rep training/fueling off of Norfolk along side the USS Canisteo AO-99?  The time frame was between '85 - '86.  Seems like I remember doing an un-rep with the Kennedy.  One of my step-cousins was a QM on the JFK, maybe around "83 or so.  He used to get restricted to the ship quite frequently, possibly for fighting.

Possibly, I got to the JFK in August of "86 made the next 2 cruises.

• Like 1
On 9/11/2019 at 10:56 PM, Living the Dream said:

And 10" floppy's at my work

image.png.8c090b3408b37634534448aeaba5ab75.png

Some of the young'un's ask "What's that?"  I simply reply, "one song"

That would probably be an 8" floppy, not a 10". Many years ago I had an 8" floppy drive connected to a Model I TRS-80, as well as a couple of 5.25" drives. Currently I'm sorting through a large trove of 3.5" floppy disks, many of them original software distribution disks.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the nanosecond wire handed out by Grace Murray Hopper at one of her talks. No 80-column punched cards, either, but a small stack of 96-column cards from the System/3. Also a small pad with 6 squares of real core memory, a Sinclair Executive calculator, S360 reference card, flowchart templates, as well as various other old paraphernalia. Have now worked with and used computers for about 53 years.