IGNORED

2009 rt1200 vs 2004 1150RT

christianf

Now I have two options and I am not sure if the difference is worth the added expense between a 1150 rt from 2004 at 2500$ or a 1200rt from 2009 at 4500$ both in good condition. 

Many advice on maintenance/issues to be ready for?

thank you I am ready to jump on either one but the price of the 1150 is hard to beat unless the 1200 is that much better

Please advise me

23 minutes ago, christianf said:

Now I have two options and I am not sure if the difference is worth the added expense between a 1150 rt from 2004 at 2500$ or a 1200rt from 2009 at 4500$ both in good condition. 

Many advice on maintenance/issues to be ready for?

thank you I am ready to jump on either one but the price of the 1150 is hard to beat unless the 1200 is that much better

Please advise me

Evening christianf

Test ride them both, the answer will be pretty evident, at least it is to me.

The 2009 was the best of the hexhead bike series with most early 1200 problems solved or engineered out.

The 2004 was about the best of the 1150 series so that is a plus. The 2004 twin spark engine was a noticeable improvement.

Brakes are a lot better as far as feel & operation go on the 2009 1200 bike. Transmission gear ratios are better thought out  & more evenly spaced on the 1200RT.

If the 1200 has cruise control (most do) then THAT is WELL worth the entrance fee as that is a very nice feature (especially if you ride long distances)

Go ride them both__

I’ve owned both of these bikes. Both are the best of their model. That said, your decision will be how much $$ do you want to spend. The 1200 is much better and has no whizzy brakes. If you can afford it and it checks out mechanically get the 1200. 

Currently have 2009 RT Hexhead.

Had a 2003 RT until I tried to take it to the end of Burr Trail and Notom-Bullfrog Road.  That didn't work out too good... :jaw:

loVed the lines of the earlier vintage, but... that's where it stops. 

1200 is better handling, better response, less 'top-heavy' of a feel, and it has integrated cruise control. Plus an improved final drive, better wiring on the HES, great brakes without the whizzy grabby shit.

However, keeping with the German Beta testing philosophy you'll be subject to a cracking rear wheel flange, possible fuel strip (most likely) malfunction (several time over) and a cracked fuel pump mounting flange... that should get ya started.  But, I like the bike...

YMMV

Good luck with your decision. 

• 2 weeks later...

That’s it, i finally found the bike! I am the proud owner of a gorgeous 2004 1150RT 60K miles in perfect conditions. 

After 25+ years not riding I am back on the road. 

I am so happy and I wanted to thank all who responded during my search. Thank you and I hope to see you guys and gals on the road

Spoiler
Spoiler

7242755B-4A30-4442-83AF-9D78E8463A34.jpeg

FE511300-EA36-462B-B12F-7F3B81CFD6DB.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Congrats!!  BEAUTIFUL bike!!

And WELCOME BACK to riding!!  IDTST. 

Lots of things have changed, tires, suspension, fuel injection, on and on.  Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful members here with answers and advice.