IGNORED

R1200RT-P Aux ports and other questions

Trojan Soldier

Trojan Soldier

I've purchased an R1200RT-P 2007 model, running order with exception of the fuel strip which I already have a replacement for.

This bike has the Aux battery still fitted, all UK Police gear has been removed, no visible cut cables at all.

I've been lead to believe the front auxiliary port would recharge the main battery using a BMW battery charge (Which I have). The rear auxiliary port would charge both main and auxiliary battery. 

As far as I can detect using a meter neither of the aux ports put out any power - tested with the bike running.

Yes I can of course wire/connect directly to the batteries, I could also wire auxiliary ports directly to the battery with fuses etc.

What I'd like to do is actually find out why these aux ports don't work, if there is any type of short the can bus would shut them down, that I know. Attached are pictures of under the rear seat.

So here are the questions:

1. How can I go about tracing the aux port fault?

2. If I start unwinding the tape around the rear cables will I eventually find a plug that I can disconnect to remove the access police wiring?

3. Should I do number 2 above or leave it?

4. Tell me about can bus resistor terminators? What are they? where should they be? How do I know if I need one?

5. I have an aux battery where will I find a live feed?

6. Is the aux battery circuit output separate from the can bus?

7. There is a big green 6 pin plug and a big white 6 socket female.....should these be plugged into each other?

8. Was this additional rear cables put on my BMW or are they attached and taped up later when vehicles put into service?

For those that might notice I've converted the bike back to civilian.

Regards

Neil 

Cables1.jpg

Cables.jpg

1 hour ago, Trojan Soldier said:

I've purchased an R1200RT-P 2007 model, running order with exception of the fuel strip which I already have a replacement for.

This bike has the Aux battery still fitted, all UK Police gear has been removed, no visible cut cables at all.

I've been lead to believe the front auxiliary port would recharge the main battery using a BMW battery charge (Which I have). The rear auxiliary port would charge both main and auxiliary battery. 

As far as I can detect using a meter neither of the aux ports put out any power - tested with the bike running.

Yes I can of course wire/connect directly to the batteries, I could also wire auxiliary ports directly to the battery with fuses etc.

What I'd like to do is actually find out why these aux ports don't work, if there is any type of short the can bus would shut them down, that I know. Attached are pictures of under the rear seat.

So here are the questions:

1. How can I go about tracing the aux port fault?

2. If I start unwinding the tape around the rear cables will I eventually find a plug that I can disconnect to remove the access police wiring?

3. Should I do number 2 above or leave it?

4. Tell me about can bus resistor terminators? What are they? where should they be? How do I know if I need one?

5. I have an aux battery where will I find a live feed?

6. Is the aux battery circuit output separate from the can bus?

7. There is a big green 6 pin plug and a big white 6 socket female.....should these be plugged into each other?

8. Was this additional rear cables put on my BMW or are they attached and taped up later when vehicles put into service?

For those that might notice I've converted the bike back to civilian.

Regards

Neil 

Afternoon  Neil 

I can answer a few of your questions but probably not all of them (police bikes are a real PAIN as they are not all the same (wiring wise) as different departments use or have different electrical requirements).

Your aux sockets (if still ZFE controlled) will shut down with a short or too much circuit load as they have no physical fuse to protect them (circuit protection is electronic inside the ZFE module). But we don't know at this time if they are still ZFE (computer) controlled or have been converted to battery direct or ignition direct with a hidden fuse. The aux sockets are not on the CanBus but their output & input is monitored by the ZFE module & the ZFE is on the CAN.

Personally I wouldn't waste the time messing with them as  the ZFE control was rather low current  (5 amps early 1200 bikes & 10 amps later 1200 bikes). Best bet  is to just convert them to 15 amp fused battery direct.  

The CanBus terminating resistors are used on the  ends of any wire harness that HAS an open CAN  connector (either due to a component being removed or never being installed). Things like the alarm connector,  tire pressure controller (if removed or nonexistent), radio termination, anything that is or was on the CanBus but is now removed. The termination resistor is used to  prevent back EMF from entering the CAN system  through the open connector & disrupting the CAN signal. As a rule a missing CAN terminator will NOT shut down the CAN but can effect smooth functioning.

The CanBus has nothing to do with the battery feeds or other higher amp circuits (it is ONLY the communication protocol that the onboard computers & modules use to communicate with each other)

It is a lot like the phone line coming into your house,  you use it to commutate  with other phones, if it is hooked into a computer in your home & that computer controls your lights then someone at a remote location could use the phone line to control you lights but there is no direct connection between your phone line & the main power feed to your house.

You need someone that has converted a police  bike JUST LIKE YOURS  to work with you to help you identify the problem areas as you try to address them.

I have not done any full conversions to the 1200 police bike myself but have worked on a few & it seems that every problem was a problem of it's own & had to be fully researched to find a remedy.

One thing I can say, is that the 1200 police bike is very complex in it's wiring with little specific info on each particular motorcycle (some generic police diagrams but not much specific per a departments motorcycle).

So if you try to ask too many random questions in a single  post you will scare  a lot of help away due to  the intertwined complexity of the many issues.  

As you can see by my response I only have partial answers for some of your requests.

Your best bet to get the credible answers that you need is to ONLY ask a single specific question, or a related question, in each new post as that allows full attention that one  problem area.  Ask too much at once & you could get nothing usable back.

Ask a single or related  question & you might get someone to take the time & effort to look the answer up for you (you haven't got a large audience for help on 1200 police bike conversions)

On the Authorities bikes we serviced, we just installed the SAE connectors on both main and aux batteries for use with Battery Tender chargers. 

It sounds like the OP has info pertaining to the 1100-1150 Authorties bike charging ports. 

Anyway some of the Officers got creative in using the Aux battery SAE wire just hanging there and used it to power heated vests or socks with a long coiled cord at DUI checkpoints when it was cold (for us) as our department per tradition still uses the ineffective knee high unlined leather boots year round. MP3 players started sprouting up as well.

Trojan Soldier

Thank you both for your responses, I have to admit wiring up the aux sockets directly seems to be the way to go and to put separate SAE connectors for battery maintenance. The bike at the moment stands for several months at a time as I'm posted overseas.

Tri70 you could well be right regarding the charging ports information being related to the older models. 

I think I'll just seal the ends of all the exposed plugs/sockets to prevent water ingress and do a few direct connections :)

Thank you.