IGNORED

Suburban Machinery DB1 footpeg lowers (Down & Back)-any experience?

paRTy

Curious to know if anyone has used the Suburban Machinery footpeg lowering kit that puts pegs Down and back (not forward), for the r1200rtw.

DB1 is model number

Thinking of trying a pair as I like my legs bent a bit.

thx in advance.

LEFT0682DB1.jpg

AndyS, I get what you're saying because the pegs do in fact allow unbending of the legs by 1.4".

...But, these particular pegs also put you feet (back 1"), compared to the other peg lowering set, which in turn puts your legs (froward 3'4") from standard.

That's what I meant by liking my legs bent. More of a "sporty feel" I suppose? Other way makes me feel like being on a bagger to a degree. Legs to much extended forward.

They are great, I wish I put them on earlier then I did.  I found the need to also change the brake pedal http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-600&pID=121 .  I like the pedal, even if you don't add the lowering kit I'd consider adding the brake pedal.  The folks at Suburban are wonderful.  I don't have any problem in the twisties at speed.

Jay

thx strataj..........did you put on the DL1(lower and back), or the DL3(lower and forward)? If you did use the DL1, did you have any issues with the kickstand hitting the footpeg at retraction? 

Just making sure we're talking the same peg lowering kit.

thx

Hello paRTy,

These were not available or I didn’t find them when I was looking for lowering pegs. I ended up with the Wunderlich kit, which does move them forward as well as down. I weigh around 250 in street clothes, ride w factory top case loaded with maybe 15 lbs of stuff in it, and preload set at rider plus luggage. 

I mention all of this as I do occasionally touch the peg feelers down in turns, mostly in slower tight turns where I flick the bike over, in case you had not considered this. When I am riding aggressively, I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs (vs arch), so touching down occasionally is not a problem for me. 

The one other factor that played into my choice of Wunderlich is the additional part (a plate with screws) that moves the brake pedal down to the right height, as there is no way to adjust factory brake pedal height. 

Illium Works makes an adjustable brake pedal for $195.   http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-600&pID=121.

Also I noticed the Suburban Machine website says the DB1 kit is not in stock. Since this kit moves the pegs back about 1”, unless you have large feet, or move the shift and brake lever “extensions” (the part that contacts your boots) back, they might be easier to miss when you shift or brake. 

Hope this helps some. 

Paul

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, paRTy said:

thx strataj..........did you put on the DL1(lower and back), or the DL3(lower and forward)? If you did use the DL1, did you have any issues with the kickstand hitting the footpeg at retraction? 

Just making sure we're talking the same peg lowering kit.

thx

My bad it is the DL3, the kickstand doesn't hit and can be lowered.

Jay

I went with the Knight Design lowered footpegs. 

I simply cut off some of the rear master cylinder threaded pushrod to allow the stock brake pedal to be used and adjusted to fit nearly the same as it did with the stock pegs. 

I installed them on My 18 RT, I love them, you do have to replace the brake petal with Illium and adjust the shift lever, but they are great!

• Like 1

As a follow up.......I did buy and try this particular peg lowering kit. The DB1 kit.

They are very well made; fit the bike very well, and I absolutely loved the position they put my feet in. Terry at Suburban Machinery was top notch with communication and helping on some questions.

But, unfortunately, they did not allow the kickstand to fully retract. I also have an Ilium foot stand enlarger which pretty much made it impossible to use the lowering kit. Did not want to give up the enlarger, or grind down an already too small foot on kickstand.

Too bad, I really did like them. Glad I tried to feed the curiosity though.

Will try the Knight Design next.

That photo looks like the system I used on my '14.

I really liked them.,,, they were the first mod I added since I had them on my '05 and liked the comfort there too.

• 3 weeks later...

Started this thread a few weeks ago so wanted to update for those interested in footpeg lowers - 3rd party.

Since then, I did acquire a set of the KnightDesign peg lowers. Installed and did a 150 mile ride today.

Must say.......I really like them. Felt different because they actually don't seem like 3rd party. Hang straight down (to me) like oem and they match the bike perfectly.

Welcome relief for the knees but still feel sporty enough in twisties. Made a huge difference for me anyway. Not even sure I need to adjust shifter or brake pedal. Yes, I could, to be all that much better, but really not that far off to be a concern...yet. We'll see.

All in all, a really nice addition that I believe I will actually keep and I've tried a few different versions of peg lowers. This being the best (for me). 6' 175

Thanks to all that chimed in.