IGNORED

2014Rrt problems?

Johnnymac

Hi all

first post

thinking of buying a 2014 Rrt with 30,000 miles.it has the full suite of electronics. Have these bikes been reasonably reliable or do they have some major issues. All the electronics kind of worry me because I am a bit of a Luddite.

Thanks for any info

john

JMac… I have a 2014.  It was the 8th one in the US and 1st in Texas.  You may have read when they first came out there was a shock problem which BMW did a recall for and fixed.  Some reports of leaking water around the weep hole for the water pump.  The only major issue I've heard about is one most recently posted here.  One of the folks lost the alternator.  It is a major repair as the engine has to be pulled.  It was posted the repair/replacement was $3500.  It was also reported BMW changed the first edition alternator to one with a more robust stator mid year ( I think) 2014.  That's all I've heard about and I watch this forum regularly.  There may be some smaller things but that is the only major thing.  The 2014 engine was actually in the 2013 GS's so BMW had some time before it went in the RT.

Someone will give better info here shortly on the alternator change over date and possibly other things.  For me...it's been the most trouble free bike I've ever owned.  It also hits all my buttons.  Would I buy it again....absolutely yes in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your hunting.  If you find what you want, examine all service records and maybe pay someone for an inspection.

My 2014 is within a few miles of 50,000. Rear tire sensor is acting up. That is the ONLY thing that has not been perfect on this bike. Best bike I have ever owned and I don't think I am jinxing myself saying that. They seem to be much better than some/most of the previous BMW's!

• Like 1

Welcome to the group.

Generally speaking the Waterhead (K52) motor and drive train has proven to be reliable.  Other than the rear shock recall issue there have been a few specific unit issues but nothing endemic.  I have not read about a lot of issues with the electronics and electrical systems which seems to be limited to Bluetooth pairing rituals for linking the bike, GPS and head sets together, or dealing with CAN bus compatibility installing third party electronic accessories.   MTBF on electronics are likely in the decade plus range and these bikes are still a bit too young for that kind of stuff to show up.

16 minutes ago, hopz said:

By Leaking around the Weep Hole... do you mean this?

Yup, the dealer fixed it snap, snap... never recurred. Kinda liked the color though...

Morning Hopz

That is cheating to actually fix the leak.  On the BMW 800 bikes BMW just added a retrofit nipple & drain hose to the water pump vent hole to route the leak away from riders  observant eyes. (later 800 bikes came from the factory with the diverter hose already on the vent hole).

800GS water pump drain hose.jpg

The coolant leak issue, which I never had, has not had a post in quite a long time? I am in the camp of running and watching to see if it goes away first. But we did have quite a few concerned owners there for a period of time. I wonder if they got better or once owners realized not to panic we are not hearing as much?

23 hours ago, hopz said:

The other option is just put a small cork in it... just sayn'

Morning Hopz

Problem with doing that is that drain hole is there for reason, if that hole wasn't needed then BMW wouldn't have put it there.

That hole is a relief hole in case the primary water pump seal leaks (or seeps)  as it seems to do on some.

If that hole gets plugged then the seeping coolant can go positive pressure in the cavity  then find it's way past the  inner seal then into the crankcase oil (not a good thing to happen).

Basically that hole gives any seeping/leaking coolant a passage out of the engine rather than into the crankcase oil. 

Picked up 2014 this morning.. felt pretty comfortable considering I drove 33 miles without a break 😂.

going to take some time to figure out all the electronics. But WOW, compared to my LT this RT goes. Handles pretty good and lite compared to the LT, I think I am going to like it.

does anyone know of a source for some higher/ wider passenger foot rests?

Thanks, john 

Just as a footnote to my leak photo...

That was the only issue I ever had on the '14. Zero, zip, nada.... with many miles on it and some great long trips. It Started with a mere hint at the go-button and got great mileage. The Nav 5 worked every time even if the Driver didn't update the maps all that often. Still had the original battery when sold in 2019.

FYI

My '16 has had two warranty issues.

First was the weeping coolant (a lot) which was fixed by the dealer replacing the water pump at 2k mi -- no weeping since.

Second problem was a valve cover leaking oil at 10k mi, leaving little puddles on my garage floor. After replacing the valve cover gasket it soon leaked again. The valve cover edge was found to be distorted so the cover was replaced. No leaks since.

1 hour ago, Johnnymac said:

Can you charge the battery thru the auxiliary port on the fairing with the key off?

Yep, as long as the charger is Canbus compatible!