IGNORED

Anybody using Bose noise cancelling earbuds?

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

My second set of molded plugs are tube-type and they suck bilge water.  The sound is as if it's coming from an empty oil drum.

I saw a YouTube video by a webbikeworld guy who raves about the Bose sound-cancelling earbuds he uses with his Cardio Scala unit.

If you're using them, lemme know what you think of them and which model you use.

TIA

This is not directly relevant to your use, but I received a pair of the QC 30  Bluetooth earbuds. I’ve pretty much only used them on the bike and have been very happy with them. I don’t know how much of the hardware crosses over between the two sets. 

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, szurszewski said:

This is not directly relevant to your use, but I received a pair of the QC 30  Bluetooth earbuds. I’ve pretty much only used them on the bike and have been very happy with them. I don’t know how much of the hardware crosses over between the two sets. 

Thanks.  I need the corded earbuds to plug into the Cardio unit to communicate with another.  

I wont travel on a plane without mine, had em about 10 years or so.  The sound is fantastic although with 20 years in the infantry that's not a great point of reference.  Never tried them under a helmet, they seem a little bulky for that and mine have a small box where the plug in that is apt to get in the way.  

I bought a set at BestBuy.  I tried to use them under my helmet but they just stuck out too far for me so I don't know how effective they are. I took them back.  BestBuy has an interesting process.  You can't open stuff in the store and try on.  You have to buy it first.  Then if you want to return it you can. I think they have a no excuse return policy for something like 30 days. I  have other Bose noise cancelling products and they work great for their intended use.  I had a couple break and Bose took care of the issue even though the warranty period had expired.  

13 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Thanks.  I need the corded earbuds to plug into the Cardio unit to communicate with another.  

Yes - understood - I just thought I'd chime in to say the noise canceling and sound quality work well on my set, and that they fit fine under both my primary helmets. I don't know if they use the same NC tech, but I thought you might. 

If you're looking at the QC20 MikeB60 brings up a good point - the NC box is very close the plug, so you'd need some way to secure that (or maybe use an extension?).

1 hour ago, John177 said:

Are these allowed in road transport at all?

In the US the laws vary from state to state and many have provisions for one ear piece to be worn, but largely they are probably not legal for use under a helmet in both ears. 

From a practical standpoint I find the NC earphones actually make it easier to hear the sounds that you need - horns, sirens and other such sudden/sharp noises. What they cancel is mostly the lower frequency recurring/droning noises like engine/exhaust, wind, tires on pavement. I find them a great reducer of fatigue when riding. (Took a trip from the PNW to San Diego on a friend's R9T with a very loud Aprovik (sp?) pipe recently and the NC earphones worked a treat!)

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I bought a set at BestBuy.  I tried to use them under my helmet but they just stuck out too far for me so I don't know how effective they are. I took them back.  BestBuy has an interesting process.  You can't open stuff in the store and try on.  You have to buy it first.  Then if you want to return it you can. I think they have a no excuse return policy for something like 30 days. I  have other Bose noise cancelling products and they work great for their intended use.  I had a couple break and Bose took care of the issue even though the warranty period had expired.  

Yep.  Just did that dance at BB and decided to walk.  The new Bose earbuds have the microphone perpendicular to the part that inserts in ear, making it stand out too far.  Older versions, like the one on Webbikeworld have a smaller stick out.

John Ranalletta

Ok, so, anybody using a new comm system with speakers attached to helmet interior.

I'm thinking an investment in new Packtalk Slim units with speakers makes more sense.

TIA

Late to the party. I did buy a pair of the Bose from the Bose dealer - with the understanding that I could bring them back. Been 2 years probably now, but what I recall was that by themselves, the noise cancelling was great at home. Would be nice on a plane, etc. I did not find the audio to be "all that" and my ear buds provided better sound, IMO.

On the bike - which was my intended use - they failed. I think the processor gets confused by the wind noise and resulted in 'popping' - a far cry from the living room experience. As others have noted, it's a bit of a trick with the bulk of the unit, and I am certain the battery would not last a full day of riding.

John Ranalletta

Bot a pair of Shure SE215SPE Special Edition Sound Isolating Earphones with Single Dynamic MicroDriver.  

They're a bit fiddly getting to stay in place when applying helmet, but man o man what a difference.  I'd loaded 5 Queen albums on the iPhone and took a short ride this morning.  So much better than the bilge-sucking tubes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 12:11 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Bot a pair of Shure SE215SPE Special Edition Sound Isolating Earphones with Single Dynamic MicroDriver.  

They're a bit fiddly getting to stay in place when applying helmet, but man o man what a difference.  I'd loaded 5 Queen albums on the iPhone and took a short ride this morning.  So much better than the bilge-sucking tubes.

From your post, I ordered the same ones, and I like them.  I don't have to have the volume at max and the isolating does knock out the vast majority of the wind noise.

• Like 1

I have, and have tried many times to use, some Shure SE210(?) earbuds. They sound great....when you get them inserted correctly and do not knock them out of place when putting on your helmet.  Then there is the plugging them in. There is no comparison in sound quality, but I either use the bikes speakers or my in helmet speakers. Have not been taking the ear buds with me on trips. Bugs the crap out of me when one of them sort of comes loose and I have to stop to fix it. 

John Ranalletta

Terry,

Bought some Radians Custom Molded Earplugs putty from Amazon

image.png.c4b293596776d19c2efad7074ea429ef.png

Inserted the Shures and Ruth mixed/inserted the soft putty around the Shures.  Not as good as professionally done, but it works and it's relatively inexpensive.  If you try it, order an extra Radians.  The key is to get the putty to surround the Shure as the putty does not adhere to the Shure so it has to girdle it.

image.thumb.png.126fc54149abc67a25967e3dcb21700d.png

• 1 year later...
John Ranalletta
On 9/17/2019 at 9:30 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Terry,

Bought some Radians Custom Molded Earplugs putty from Amazon

image.png.c4b293596776d19c2efad7074ea429ef.png

Inserted the Shures and Ruth mixed/inserted the soft putty around the Shures.  Not as good as professionally done, but it works and it's relatively inexpensive.  If you try it, order an extra Radians.  The key is to get the putty to surround the Shure as the putty does not adhere to the Shure so it has to girdle it.

image.thumb.png.126fc54149abc67a25967e3dcb21700d.png

This approach was a fail.  The putty did not adhere to the buds.

I've arrived at a very acceptable solution.  As I prefer to wear a LD Comfort liner, I insert the Shure buds, slip on the liner which keeps the buds in place while the helmet is put on.  It works very well for me.

image.png.dfb4d9453c2ed9c6a0545cff9af1ab3b.png

• 1 month later...

As a long time SENA user, I'm intrigued by this subject. I've tried different types of earplugs/buds and most cancel out the noise I want, but of course, I have to crank up the music full blast to hear anything. (SENA 20s EVO with Shoei RF1200).

Ideally, I would like to see SENA or the other guys develop a noise cancelling system with their comm systems. I know they have the helmet, but I like my Shoei. :)