IGNORED

What is this plug ?

greenrider

1 minute ago, greenrider said:

Can anyone tell me what this plug is?

Hope to get a book for this motorcycle soon. 

1211 r1200rt

Thanks in advance. 

Afternoon greenrider

What color are the wires going into it?  Might be for a 2nd horn.  

3 hours ago, greenrider said:

The wires are brown and white

Afternoon greenrider

Now I'm not sure as white isn't a horn wire color. (is it white with a colored stripe on it?) The brown is a pretty standard ground color so that is used on a lot of connectors.

I will have to look when I have access to my newer wire diagrams  (white wire color is used a lot for lighting)

This bike came with the GPS. 

So you think it's for an additional gps or any other accessory. 

Do think I could use this for my two 3.5watt led lights or just to activate a relay?

3 minutes ago, greenrider said:

This bike came with the GPS. 

So you think it's for an additional gps or any other accessory. 

Do think I could use this for my two 3.5watt led lights or just to activate a relay?

Afternoon greenrider

I'm still not convinced that is a GPS connector as the OEM GPS connector is a 3 wire connector. Plus a white wire isn't typically a 12 B+ or 12v ign B+  on a BMW motorcycle.

I can't say it isn't usable but just saying be darn sure it is what you think it is before connecting to it.

The issue is what is the white plug pluging into?

This black plug is the factory harness end -; that's on a camhead RT. 

20190902_175759.thumb.jpg.289e4e9486b7141e35fed20f95923f1b.jpg

6 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

The issue is what is the white plug pluging into?

This black plug is the factory harness end -; that's on a camhead RT. 

Evening Dave

That's a good question as it looks like the black connector end (in his original picture above) has no wires going into the black connector side. (looks like a blanking plug).

But to be fair I have junk laptop with me so everything looks blurry  to me (or maybe its the afternoon beers).  

I can't tell where the GPS is wired into.

It doesn't have any fuse block. 

If it does I sure can't find it. It isn't under the seat. 

Hi greenrider,  

On my bike the brown - white wired plug you show seems to be coming from the GPS cradle and the audio system on the bike plugs into it.  There are two plugs coming from the GPS cradle, I'm guessing what you are looking at is the audio output wires from the GPS cradle.  If you don't have the factory radio system on the bike then this would be capped like shown in your picture according to my GPS cradle installation manual.

12 hours ago, greenrider said:

I can't tell where the GPS is wired into.

It doesn't have any fuse block. 

If it does I sure can't find it. It isn't under the seat. 

Morning greenrider

Your GPS cradle plugs into the connector just below the one that you have pictured (3 wire Red/Purple/Black).

I do believe that StobyRT has properly identified that other connector as my wiring schematic shows a brown wire/ white wire in a white connector with a black blanking cap as the other wire harness pig tail coming out of your GPS cradle (it isn't identified as audio in my schematic but that sure makes sense).

GPS plugs.jpg

Must be so - my camhead does not have the factory audio system, and while my 06 Hexhead does have the factory radio/cd, that is a different system entirely and does not have the additional plug either.

My 2012 with audio has a similar plug, used for 'audio out'. Some use this connector for a wired connection for headset to audio. Originally designed for 'rear' speakers I believe.

2 hours ago, GordonB said:

My 2012 with audio has a similar plug, used for 'audio out'. Some use this connector for a wired connection for headset to audio. Originally designed for 'rear' speakers I believe.

Afternoons Gordon

The connector that "greenrider" pictured is a direct lead-out FROM his GPS cradle (single pig tail comes out of the GPS cradle, then it splits into 2 pig tails,  a 3 wire (GPS power in) & that 2 wire that he pictures.

That couldn't be for a rear speakers as it is only 2 wires (no way to get Left & Right channels out of 2 wires).

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2019 at 8:39 PM, dirtrider said:

Afternoons Gordon

The connector that "greenrider" pictured is a direct lead-out FROM his GPS cradle (single pig tail comes out of the GPS cradle, then it splits into 2 pig tails,  a 3 wire (GPS power in) & that 2 wire that he pictures.

That couldn't be for a rear speakers as it is only 2 wires (no way to get Left & Right channels out of 2 wires).

If the bike has a GPS and audio, the 2 wire plug feeds into the audio unit. Instructions from the GPS will then mute the audio music.

Get the Haynes manual and all will be clear. It has a wonderfully detailed wiring diagram that's more than worth its cost for its clarity (the BMW DVD doesn't even have a wiring diagram!). I don't have it here with me but, having recently tapped the GPS lead for power, I can confirm the GPS power lead has three wires (I don't know why there are three).

30 minutes ago, Pappy35 said:

Get the Haynes manual and all will be clear. It has a wonderfully detailed wiring diagram that's more than worth its cost for its clarity (the BMW DVD doesn't even have a wiring diagram!). I don't have it here with me but, having recently tapped the GPS lead for power, I can confirm the GPS power lead has three wires (I don't know why there are three).

Afternoon  Pappy35

The third wire is the VSS__ (Vehicle Speed Sensor), or  (Vehicle Speed Signal),  depends on what BMW tec sheet you are looking at. 

• Thanks 1