IGNORED

The great dispersion has begun

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

We’ve begun the process of “reducing our footprint” and getting the place ready to sell. 

A guy pulled out of our place this morning with my welding table, hydraulic press and belt sander. Got a couple more big pieces, tool boxes, welders, etc to shed.  I’d like to find a person who is starting a business or could use some of the stuff to get a leg up on the future.  Advrider used to have a donation deal for vets.  I’ll look see. 

Ruth is steadily taking household stuff to Goodwill and recycle 

thought i’d Be sad to see the stuff go but am not. Time to move on down the road. 

• Like 5

Good for you

We made a mass purge this spring and still another one to go as we downsize from two homes to one.   And yes it was a good feeling to get that stuff out of our life.  We had rules to maximize the purge.  Did we use the item in the last year?   Will we use it in the next year?  Does it have significant value?  If the item got a 3 no score it was gone!!!   I still need to get rid of the stuff on eBay or other site for some item too valuable to trash or donate

The funny thing is that this move will leave me a 30'x40' pole barn garage "play" space.  Too bad my pole barn is 8 hours one way to your location, as I would love to take some of those tools off your hands even though I do not fit your preferred buyer profile.

John Ranalletta

I've got 3 welders and a couple of full tanks (mig/tig).  A few tool cabs full of tools and assorted junk filling up the drawers.  Not sure what I'll do with the Gerstner box.  

GOPR0175.JPG

GOPR0174.JPG

GOPR0172.JPG

G0010151.JPG

Those old Gerstner boxes are becoming collectable. I just took all the nickel hardware off mine,  soaked it in evapo-rust, refinished the wood, and it now looks like a piece of furniture. Very cool.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, taylor1 said:

Those old Gerstner boxes are becoming collectable. I just took all the nickel hardware off mine,  soaked it in evapo-rust, refinished the wood, and it now looks like a piece of furniture. Very cool.

This one was in pretty rough shape.  I did replace a bunch of the nickel adornments and refinished the wood.  Some are all oak, but this one has oak drawer fronts and cheaper pine on the the bigger parts.  I didn't redo the felt or the handle on top.

It's a keepsake. Likely will go to a grand kid if he wants it.  

Got a toolbox full of hand tools I bought from a friend's father that'll likely go to Habitat for Humanity.  They can use most kinds of hand tools for their volunteer crews.

• Like 1

Good for you for downsizing.  My folks lived in the same house for 42 years, and kept a mountain of junk knee - chest deep throughout the house.  We're still dealing with it, long after they're gone.  I've gone through all the emotions:  Shock, bewilderment, disbelief, hopelessness.  Now I'm just annoyed.  (I must admit, I knew that stuff was there, but the shock comes in where you start digging through it, and realize the sheer volume of it, the stupidity of what's in there, and how long it's gonna take to get rid of it!)

I've been putting my own garage sale items on ebay for over a decade.  Not once have I felt remorse for getting rid of the stuff.  Quite the opposite, really - It's liberating.  I just wish my folks could have understood that (for both our sake!).

Every so often, we go through the purge and sell or donate items that we no longer use or have not used in some time.  Moving every threeish years with Uncle Sams Misguided Children taught me not to travel heavy or keep a heavy footprint, so, we purge.......less is more.  I don't want my kids to have to sort through a massive amount of "throwaways". 

I have a friend of mine that borders on being a hoarder.  He has stuff that hasn't been used in 20-25 years, yet "there may be a need", he has Windows 95 machines that he keeps "because they still work".  When his mother died, they spent weeks going through her "near hoarder" house.  When I bring that up to him, he says "well, my kids will sort it out after I die",......I know his kids, they don't want any of that junk.  A riding mower that's been in the yard for 15+ years that he doesn't want to get rid of because he'll "get 'round to it" one day to fix.  I keep telling him, just 'cause you have space doesn't mean you need to fill it.  Oh, and he has all the time in the world as he retired last year.  Ask him what he did all week and the answer is the same "piddled around",.......yet nothing accomplished.

We’ve downsized twice, and I don’t miss the things we shed. However, crap continues to build up, regardless of where we are. Thankfully, there’s a Goodwill not far from here. I periodically load up the back of the Jeep and haul it there. Super easy.

The challenge we now face is not going too crazy at our cabin. It’s kind of a hodge-pudge, furnished with mostly second-hand or clearance sale furniture. We have made arrangements for the whole shebang to be taken over by our son, and part of the strategy has to be to not leave him with a mess, so we endeavor to keep it simple there. 

John Ranalletta
9 minutes ago, Mike said:

We’ve downsized twice, and I don’t miss the things we shed. However, crap continues to build up, regardless of where we are. Thankfully, there’s a Goodwill not far from here. I periodically load up the back of the Jeep and haul it there. Super easy.

The challenge we now face is not going too crazy at our cabin. It’s kind of a hodge-pudge, furnished with mostly second-hand or clearance sale furniture. We have made arrangements for the whole shebang to be taken over by our son, and part of the strategy has to be to not leave him with a mess, so we endeavor to keep it simple there. 

The first step to recovery from hoarding is DON'T BUILD A BARN!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Who would ever be that stupid?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 9/5/2019 at 7:23 AM, Mike said:
On 9/5/2019 at 7:19 AM, John Ranalletta said:

Who would ever be that stupid?

And some are so hopeless they just build another barn when it is full.   Need any Rickman parts? He has them somewhere in one of the barns!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
John Ranalletta
On 8/31/2019 at 9:10 PM, John Ranalletta said:

We’ve begun the process of “reducing our footprint” and getting the place ready to sell. 

A guy pulled out of our place this morning with my welding table, hydraulic press and belt sander. Got a couple more big pieces, tool boxes, welders, etc to shed.  I’d like to find a person who is starting a business or could use some of the stuff to get a leg up on the future.  Advrider used to have a donation deal for vets.  I’ll look see. 

Ruth is steadily taking household stuff to Goodwill and recycle 

thought i’d Be sad to see the stuff go but am not. Time to move on down the road. 

The great dispersion continues.  Welders went to a young man starting a new business.  Gerstner box with gauges and mics went to a tool maker.  Tools I've had for decades left with young men just starting their collections.   Dealing with buyers is interesting.  Some are pricks trying to get stuff for free.  Some like the young man and tool maker were deeply appreciative and expressed their appreciation.  They drove away with more than they thought they were buying.  The tool maker, a Reed #104 vise and the young man, a box of assorted accessories, welding jackets and leather aprons.

A 1000 lb safe gets picked up today.  With that, my garage shop is empty.  All of the big stuff sold, given away or tossed, including a vintage Ducati faring that elicited zero interest (giveaway) on Ducati restoration forums. It was broken up and put in recycle.

Many trips to Goodwill, recycling center, St. Vincent de Paul leave the stuff we're keeping and moving.  Solid cherry dining room table/chairs and solid oak cabinets that cost $3k in '82 linger on Facebook marketplace & Craigslist at sub $300 prices.  Kids don't want them and can't move them if they did.  The reality is most of what we own is near worthless at resale.  No surprise.

There's a certain freedom that comes from shedding all this stuff.  Yes, I still filled a 10'x20' storage space (mostly with GS on the trailer).  The stuff in storage made the first cut.  Much will not make the second cut and move to new quarters. 

I think it's only a fool who measures his value in terms of his possessions.  I've been foolish.

image.thumb.png.e8e0bed57c44fd8af873f3f30ff20e94.pngimage.png.02bf0e4e71b55e4b0234ad13b12a134a.png

• Like 2
John Ranalletta

This 1050 lb safe just went away with its new owner.  It took 3 of us to tip it over and slide it on a pair of 4x4's over the trailer's dual axles.  The guy says he's going to drag it through his house to its final resting place.  NFW!

image.thumb.png.c24c57f7dc4d03ab5e77c0baba32f480.png

Please come to my house :)

Doing the same thing since retiring in April.  The wife and I have been though all the closets and have rid ourselves of all things not used.  Amazing how much stuff we had.  The house and storage is large so it wasn't cluttered...but sill a lot.

I recently did the same thing you are doing in my hangar.  That was hard.  I gave away a lot of good things.  Next up is the room above the garage.  It's about 500sq ft and is mostly filled with remote control airplanes and associated gear.  I'm gong to donate all but a couple of them to a local flying club.  It's thousands of dollars and building time over many years.  I just gave away a 108 inch wingspan cub with a 3hp chainsaw motor on it....that was hard.

In the spring the boat goes.  Trying to simplify life.  Maybe the airplane too but that will be super super hard.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

John:  your story has inspired me to begin the process of shedding the clutter...thank you!   Both of my daughters are in the "minimalist" mode, and sorting thru all my stuff would just be a burden they don't need.  I, too, have been foolish!  JB

• Like 2

One of our neighbors are hoarders, both of them.  Every time i look over the 6' privacy fence between our properties i get rid of something of my own.  They are in their 70's and at least 80% of their property is covered in junk...  I have been selling and donating some of my antique engines and farm tools over the last few years trying to get them into responsible hands while i have choices.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta

The move to an apartment is just days away.  I look around the empty space of our house and wonder if I'll ever buy another.  One storage space is filled the GS on trailer, basement and garage stuff.  Another, air conditioned space, is filled with house stuff that won't fit into the apartment which is 1/2 the square footage and a few rooms short of the house.

Apartment living means not having the space our house has not only for stuff but for activities.  No yard that needs tended.  No garage filled with tools to spend hours on tune ups, oil changes, hobbies, etc.  No weekend runs to the big box store for maintaining or upgrading grounds or building.

A financial adviser I follow on UTube recently said a house is an expense, not an investment.  After nearly 18 years here and having bought/remodeled/sold a bunch of houses over my lifetime, I agree.  None of us is brave enough to create a ledger to track the time and money we spend cutting grass, fixing drains, repainting, etc.  

I might buy another house or condo because the rental market may not suit my needs, but if I do, the new place will be as maintenance free as can be.  I'm thinking a concrete house with steel roof, finished concrete interior surfaces.   Home ownership provides freedom an apartment or congregate living does not.  Like anything of value, that has a cost.

• Like 3

I have a cousin that did a similar thing (actually very similar). He was a retired mechanic and always had a thousand projects going on in his garage. Anyway, they sold the house about eight years ago and have been renting an apartment in town. (Expensive BTW)

Now my thought on this is, they're dumping all their homes equity into someone else's pocket. Maybe their kids suck? :dontknow: :grin:

John Ranalletta
25 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I have a cousin that did a similar thing (actually very similar). He was a retired mechanic and always had a thousand projects going on in his garage. Anyway, they sold the house about eight years ago and has been renting an apartment in town. (Expensive BTW)

Now my thought on this is, they're dumping all their homes equity into someone else's pocket. Maybe their kids suck? :dontknow: :grin:

Life choices have consequences.  Had a house to sell in 1982 in a small town just after Int'l Harvester laid off 10,000 employees.  Luckily, my employer bought the house. Most of our houses sold quickly.

Each person chooses what winds their spring.  Personally, just owning stuff doesn't wind mine.  I know I get bored quickly and easily with new toys.  Snowmobile, motorcycle, new corvette, welders, etc.  Fun to think about having.  Not so much fun when they clutter life.  Everything we possess becomes a burden.  Some enjoy bearing the burden, but it's a burden nonetheless.  YMMV

Also, when you're in the last quarter of the game, your perspective changes.  Maybe not precisely to this point, here's a video (NSFW) that resonated with me, not only about the season but about life, generally. 

1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

The move to an apartment is just days away.  I look around the empty space of our house and wonder if I'll ever buy another.  One storage space is filled the GS on trailer, basement and garage stuff.  Another, air conditioned space, is filled with house stuff that won't fit into the apartment which is 1/2 the square footage and a few rooms short of the house.

Apartment living means not having the space our house has not only for stuff but for activities.  No yard that needs tended.  No garage filled with tools to spend hours on tune ups, oil changes, hobbies, etc.  No weekend runs to the big box store for maintaining or upgrading grounds or building.

A financial adviser I follow on UTube recently said a house is an expense, not an investment.  After nearly 18 years here and having bought/remodeled/sold a bunch of houses over my lifetime, I agree.  None of us is brave enough to create a ledger to track the time and money we spend cutting grass, fixing drains, repainting, etc.  

I might buy another house or condo because the rental market may not suit my needs, but if I do, the new place will be as maintenance free as can be.  I'm thinking a concrete house with steel roof, finished concrete interior surfaces.   Home ownership provides freedom and apartment or congregate living does not.  Like anything of value, that has a cost.

I love reading your posts on this subject and know what you're attempting to accomplish...I wish you peace with it all!  

While living in Colorado in 2004, I decided that I needed to find a place in which to "retire".  Trying to land in the middle of one daughter in south Florida and one in New Orleans, I landed in an old stomping ground in east-central Alabama and built a modest log home there.  Purposefully, I only removed enough trees to get the house and driveway in place, so have no grass to cut, only leaves to blow off the decks and drive.  I'm more at peace with myself and with life than I've ever been.

• Like 1

My wife has informed me that she wishes to be buried out back of our house, so I doubt we'll ever move unless there's a medical issue that forces us to.  While we've been remodeling, we've always added extra studs in walls so we can add grab handles and other stuff for making older age easier to deal with.  That, and we'll probably always have dogs, which adds a challenge to apartment living.   Another added bonus is that locally (Minneapolis and St. Paul MN) have some really high rental costs, so much so that that break-even for owning is much closer even when you factor in your time for mowing, painting, and maintaining.  An acquaintance of mine use the term 'condo' to mean hiring help to do various chores around the house, something that I think I'll be willing to do in the coming years.    I might change my mind, but I've lived in the same house for 27 years now, and have never had that 'is the grass greener' thing. 

John Ranalletta
40 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

My wife has informed me that she wishes to be buried out back of our house, so I doubt we'll ever move unless there's a medical issue that forces us to.  While we've been remodeling, we've always added extra studs in walls so we can add grab handles and other stuff for making older age easier to deal with.  That, and we'll probably always have dogs, which adds a challenge to apartment living.   Another added bonus is that locally (Minneapolis and St. Paul MN) have some really high rental costs, so much so that that break-even for owning is much closer even when you factor in your time for mowing, painting, and maintaining.  An acquaintance of mine use the term 'condo' to mean hiring help to do various chores around the house, something that I think I'll be willing to do in the coming years.    I might change my mind, but I've lived in the same house for 27 years now, and have never had that 'is the grass greener' thing. 

Well, I suppose that's as good as some I know who have urns with ashes of loved ones on the mantle place.

There are so many variables for each of us to consider that no one has the answer for another.  We love our house.  When we bought it in 2002, I sent a picture (below left) to my son.  He jokingly said he recognized the house from the show, "Cops".  It was a total mess and that was it's attraction for me.  I spent the previous 3 years resurrecting an old 2-story home and grounds.

As I look around the place, I experience pride and regret and relief.  Pride that we turned this sow's ear in a silken purse.  Pride in the fact that we did most of the working except framing, electrical and drywall.  Each oak floor board, every linear foot of trim and molding was painted, measured, cut and fitted in place.  We installed all the doors, kitchen cabinets and bathroom fixtures by hand.  So, it a way, the house is a monument to persistence and attention to detail. 

image.thumb.png.c22f2e977bfa3d1574f4893ffd7605d5.pngimage.thumb.png.86d56e9a80d9d9a54bbe54e12fa57dc1.pngimage.thumb.png.2f95a0fc9c93082c255c7e5563489917.png

A young family is moving in next week.   The four kid's feet will pound the floors.  The house has a "run-around" meaning they can run in circles through the kitchen, dining room, hallway and a bedroom.  Their stuff and their noises will fill the rooms.  In spring, they'll play on expansive lawns.  I wish them well.

I have few talents, but I enjoy and need to be building stuff.  I especially like to resurrect stuff.  When the house "resurrection" was complete, I took to rebuilding motorcycles (Ed's Blackbird, Ron's 2005 GS, '74 Ducati) and found that keeping and riding them was less satisfying than getting them back on the road.  I sold the first two immediately after rebuilding - neither for a profit but likely at break even or a bit less.  

In the more introspective moments, I ask, "What can I resurrect?" "What needs rebuilding?"  The answer in the past has always been a thing, e.g. house, motorcycle and I built infrastructure (garage, shop, tools) to support that.  Now, absent the infrastructure but still possessed of the need to (re)build something, I'm wondering if I have the skills to help (re)build people instead.  We'll see. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Now that’s something to think about right there. I still want a GSA or maybe the new Tiger, though. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, TEWKS said:

Now that’s something to think about right there. I still want a GSA or maybe the new Tiger, though. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

Go for it.

• Like 2

My dad was a 35 year builder / pilot of  R/C aircraft, when he died my sister contacted some of his fellow pilots in his phone list.

She asked if there was any intrest in his shop, one said he was familier with his hanger.... well the  club came by one saturday and STUFFED her pockets with US Greenbacks... the panter and laughter and stories they told of the ol'man (died at 98) was priceless

She had no idea of the value, but they were more than fair.

• Like 3

My father in law, in his 80's enjoy's cutting grass.  He cuts his, two neighbors, then loads up the rider and push mower and does five acres of three of his kids homes. (no his kids aren't lazy, they just know dear old dad enjoys this)

I kinda follow the same.  I enjoy hopping on the rider, putting the earmuff/headphones on, and riding for three+ hours cutting my yard (no edging, I use roundup for that), my wife occasionally jokes that she married her dad (only in that aspect).

Additionally, the wife and I both like doing the home maintenance thing (tearing down walls, adjusting room sizes, total re-adjustments).  Our winter project is to add a closet in the dead space above the  stairs to the basement (that won't take long, so we'll find something else to destroy).

This current house was supposed to be a downsize for the house and upsize for the yard, but it ended up both.  We went up 1k sqft in house and up five acres (plus the three more that we purchased last year, and we're looking at another three more for a buffer behind us).

As far as "stuff", we do not believe in the "just because I have space I need to fill it" mentality, so we only keep the essentials and purge our "unused" items every so often.

Dream, you're funny, I only cut the grass because the city ordinance demands it and I like my neighbors (mostly), and working on the house takes away from riding time or drinking time, remodels and minor upgrades only happen when the wife gets very insistent. Luckily, she grew up in a house under constant construction, so she's not a big fan of the mess and inconvenience 

But, she does tend to collect stuff without purging, so that's the next big thing on the list of things to do. She thinks people want it, so it should be sold or gone through by the kids (they really don't want it) but it's mostly clutter. Oh well, if that's the worst thing I have to deal with, I'm ok with that. She lets me ride whenever I want, even told me my bike was getting old and I should get another. She's a keeper!

John Ranalletta

The house sale closed on Thursday and the proceeds are tucked away in savings. 

We just spent our fourth night in the apartment.  Things are getting sorted out; pictures being hung; drawers filled, closets organized.  This 2-bdrm unit is more than enough space though a 3rd, small sewing room would be a plus if it were more than a temporary spot for us.

Feels a little confining, but this morning, as the day started, I realized my patterns are no different here than when in the house.  The main difference we talked about is that, in the house, one can always find "busy" work or chores to fill the schedule.  In the apartment, there are few chores other than keeping the place in order, swept and clean.

Need a hobby that doesn't require a garage, basement or yard.    

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

The house sale closed on Thursday and the proceeds are tucked away in savings. 

We just spent our fourth night in the apartment.  Things are getting sorted out; pictures being hung; drawers filled, closets organized.  This 2-bdrm unit is more than enough space though a 3rd, small sewing room would be a plus if it were more than a temporary spot for us.

Feels a little confining, but this morning, as the day started, I realized my patterns are no different here than when in the house.  The main difference we talked about is that, in the house, one can always find "busy" work or chores to fill the schedule.  In the apartment, there are few chores other than keeping the place in order, swept and clean.

Congrats on the house closing..."it's never over 'til it's over".  I can imagine your mental process of "what do I do now?"....I'm still stuck on getting down to actually getting my basement de-cluttered.  If you get totally bored, come help me do what you did. :old: 

3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Knitting and needlepoint are good hobbies.    :grin:

I don't know where Ruth's sense of humor falls on the Juvenile scale but you could toss a piece of cheddar and see where it leads! :rofl:

John Ranalletta
59 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I don't know where Ruth's sense of humor falls on the Juvenile scale but you could toss a piece of cheddar and see where it leads! :rofl:

Well, I just don't know what to think about that.  Seems to fall somewhere between a very bad practical joke and child abuse.  Why not heat the cheese and have even more fun?

28 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Why not heat the cheese and have even more fun?

I think room temperature is your goal. ;) Yeah leaning more towards a bad practical joke, especially if it didn't make you chuckle just a bit. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile & back on subject.....right before Christmas, I got an urge to organize my linen press, only to find out that what I REALLY needed was to purge it of unused items.  So going to Goodwill (or similar receptacles) are:

32 Tee shirts

1 cotton sweater

1 mock turtleneck shirt

1 pair of sneakers (they weren't in the linen press, but got caught up in the moment)

10 pair of socks

I'm asking for help...if you see me looking at Tee shirts, please drag me away and remind me why!  :4617:

18 hours ago, bimmer2 said:

Meanwhile & back on subject.....right before Christmas, I got an urge to organize my linen press, only to find out that what I REALLY needed was to purge it of unused items.  So going to Goodwill (or similar receptacles) are:

32 Tee shirts

1 cotton sweater

1 mock turtleneck shirt

1 pair of sneakers (they weren't in the linen press, but got caught up in the moment)

10 pair of socks

I'm asking for help...if you see me looking at Tee shirts, please drag me away and remind me why!  :4617:

For me, all t-shirts have a life-cycle.

1.  Wearable in public

2.  Wearable at home

3.  Windshield/helmet face-shield cleaning rag

4.  Bodywork cleaning rag

5.  Chain cleaner/wiper

6.  Floor cleaner/wiper

7.  Trash

Recycle, reuse. 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Antimatter said:

For me, all t-shirts have a life-cycle.

1.  Wearable in public

2.  Wearable at home

3.  Windshield/helmet face-shield cleaning rag

4.  Bodywork cleaning rag

5.  Chain cleaner/wiper

6.  Floor cleaner/wiper

7.  Trash

Recycle, reuse. 

There's a point at which mine just simply disappear.  It's about the same time they are the most comfortable.

• Like 1

so in August of this year, I have started a similar process.  Different reason, my son came back home to live with us while he attends college.  so I need to make a small studio apartment in my basement.  My basement has 25 years of junk, tools, & motorcycle gear.  The basement is 26 X 36 and I have carved out a 26 x 22 section for his small studio setup.  So that means 25 years of stuff must be culled and organized into a 26 x 14 area.  First to go was 7 file cabinets.  then 30 years of bank statements, personal files, and tax returns all went to a bonded shredding company.   I have a 15-20 year pool table that has been a 'work bench" for the last 7-8 years.  That goes next.  Once that is gone then the cement floor needs to be mopped, cleaned, stained and sealed.  Then a nice piece of carpeting and the area will be ready for his murphy bed, couch,  efficient kitchen and desk.

I am a tool hoarder, (my wife uses a different term) and that is my next goal.  eventually my goal is one storage rack 16' x 16" x 8'.  that will hold all my little stuff.  then Two tool boxes 5'x2'x5' will hold all my tools.  In addition I have really come to the conclusion that Home Depot rental is the way for me to go.  It costs a little more, but they do all the maintenance and all I have to do is use the tool and clean it.  Need a good chain saw, Home depot, need a tree branch trimmer, Home Depot, need some cement finishing tools, Home Depot.  they have sod rollers, aerators, tillers, post hole augers and power washers.  Even have portable generators.  So now I just rent all that stuff when I need it. 

I have almost a one acre lot.  So I am even thinking about hiring a lawn company to do the bulk mowing.  I will still do the trimming and edging ( those tools are small and easily stored away) and just let a lawn company come in and do the bulk mowing.  for right now my son does the bulk mowing, so for this year and next while he is living at home and attending college I am good to go. but come April 2022 I think I will hire a lawn company.

Overall I will spend a little more on rental costs, but the amount of time I get back will be worth it.  And not having lots of equipment sitting around that only gets used 2 or 3 times a year will free up  a ton of space.

My goal is to have all this done by June this year.  My biggest issue is actually doing the work.  as I clear stuff out and seem to get more space and free time, I want to fill it with riding :-)  I really need to keep focused and get it 100% done so I really have the free time come April when riding season and Track season will pick  up. 

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, randy said:

I have almost a one acre lot.  So I am even thinking about hiring a lawn company to do the bulk mowing. 

image.png.ebf3099b73d30c86e34ae7b7a2ed3b42.png

Those tools make my mouth water! There are so many people here who could use fine tools, but the cost of shipping is atrocious unless sent in a container. Just toolboxes to organize things are at a premium here, let alone quality tools.

I downsized immensely when I moved to Africa permanently. Sold, trashed, gave away some lovely things to friends and relatives. I still miss some of them...but not many. I still have eight times more "stuff" than the average family here!

so an old generator that started and idled, but would not go to full power was picked up by a retired gentlemen who is starting a small engine repair service.  He wanted it to practice on.  The pool table was picked up.  I have a 2200psi washer with a Honda 5hp engine that I cannot even get $50.00 for, so I guess I will move it to the free category and it will be gone.  Really thought it was worth 50.00 bucks :-)

next is a little more cleaning and junk removal and my Son's studio apartment will be ready for a moping, then a sealing and finally some carpet.  On the bad side, 25 years of stuff is now all piled into the left over 14x26 area and I can barely see what I need let alone get to anything.  That area is next.  Probably pitch 50% of it, and then hopefully better organize the rest so that the space is still useful going forward.

I currently have a motorcycle lift in that area and  I really want to keep it, but unless I make some difficult choices concerning other tools, it is not looking good.  We will see.  The purge continues.

• Like 1

Divorce/loss of home has helped tremendously on getting rid of non essentials. I’m still not through by any stretch of the imagination. I also own a Handy bike lift that retails for close to $2k and nobody would buy it. I have decided to keep it for my limited maintenance chores. 

yes, it seems lift tables have a limited market.  my table is a cheap HF unit.  But I bet I could not get 100.00 for it.  to heavy and the average motorcycle rider could not move it, and probably does not have an area big enough to set it up.  I am hoping my purge/consolidation process allows me to keep mine.  I do wish I had purchased a better quality lift.  It works great on 600cc track bikes, but heavier/longer  RT, K1300 etc bikes seem to overwhelm it.

Around here, used Handy bike lifts get snatched up as fast as they come to market. HF lifts, not so much, they can be had for $299 new, used doesn't hold much value.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, randy said:

yes, it seems lift tables have a limited market.  my table is a cheap HF unit.  But I bet I could not get 100.00 for it.  to heavy and the average motorcycle rider could not move it, and probably does not have an area big enough to set it up.  I am hoping my purge/consolidation process allows me to keep mine.  I do wish I had purchased a better quality lift.  It works great on 600cc track bikes, but heavier/longer  RT, K1300 etc bikes seem to overwhelm it.

I bought this Handy lift from our failed local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealership. I also purchased the last bike they sold. The lift was used in the showroom only to display the latest models. It has a aluminum diamond plate cover and I added a wheel vise. Too much $$ invested to just give it away. I’ve moved it twice now and it is no easy task.