IGNORED

Firstgear ADV Air Mesh Jacket and Rover Air Mesh Over Pants Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Firstgear Air Mesh Jacket and Pants Intro

If you’re looking for a mid-priced, protective, versatile, comfortable four-season ADVenture styled mesh jacket and pant combo, check out Firstgear’s offerings. Specifically, their ADV Air Mesh Jacket and Rover Air Mesh Over Pants. On a recent west coast riding/camping trip, I had the opportunity to put combo to the test in varying environments.

The ADV Air Mesh Jacket

Firstgear AirMesh jacketOn the outside there’s a total of five useful pockets: two rectangular-shaped vertical zippered chest pocket; near the front at the waist are two more Velcro waterproof pockets; in the small of the back below the waist belt is a large zippered pocket for stowing the waterproof rain jacket or thermal liner (Interestingly, Firstgear claims that the waterproof liner can either be worn outside the jacket or inside.); concealed on the inside of the outer shell there are two Velcro access pockets on each side of the main zipper; and one is designed for a smartphone and the other for important documents.

Also, on the outside, around the shoulder area, are black Molle-inspired straps for small accessory pouches. The waist is adjustable and the sleeves can be cinched via two Velcro take-ups on each arm which I found useful in achieving a proper fit. The main zipper (all zippers are YYKs) is of the two-way style. A thermal liner that kept me warm while riding around the snowy areas of Crater Lake and along the higher elevated portions of the eastern Sierras.

In the warmer Mojave Desert region, the mesh kept a wonderful flow of air to vent heat from my body while still protecting me with armor inside the jacket. A Microfiber-lined collar reduced the chances of ending up with a chaffed neck. Around the Velcro handcuff area, you can adjust the thickness with the gusseted zipper, depending on how thick the jacket has become due to the layers of warm/waterproof articles you have on underneath.

For safety, Firstgear chose the pliable yet protective KNOX Microlock CE-approved armor for the shoulders and elbows. The back armor is an okay PE back pad. However, I’d suggest upgrading it to a thicker, more protective version.

The Rover Air Mesh Over Pant

Firstgear AirMesh PantsDesigned for over pant use, you’ll find ample space to wear just your underwear or multi-layer streetwear and/or thermals. I found switching from the bare minimum to wearing both the waterproof layer and thermal liner convenient with the color match buttons.

The waist is adjustable using the side adjusters via a Velcro strap system, and secures with a snap and hook closure system. I really liked the extra-long side leg two-way zipper for both ease in putting on or taking off, but also to have the ability to lower the upper zipper for increased airflow.

The pants come with four zippered storage pockets, two hand pockets in the traditional location near the hips that aren’t waterproof and two above the knees which are. For added comfort, the crotch area comes with a well-designed stretch panel that provides less restriction and more comfort, while the articulated elastic knee panel produces a comfortable riding experience.

Just as the jacket comes with both a waterproof liner and a thermal liner, so does the mesh over pant, giving you a true four-season riding option. For safety, there are abrasion-resistant panels at the knees and butt as well as reflective accents. Also, along the butt are anti-slip pads for each cheek.

As with the jacket, Firstgear uses the KNOX Microlock CE armor at the knees and hips. In case you haven’t heard, KNOX brand armor isn’t affected by the ambient temperature as other types of armor are. They even remain pliable in colder climates.

Overall, when it comes to comfort, protection, and versatility, I found the Firstgear ADV Air Mesh Jacket and Rover Air Mesh Over Pants to be on par with more expensive brands and backed by a five-year manufacturer’s warranty. I wouldn’t hesitate to view them as a contender for a RTW trip.

Firstgear-USA.com

MSRP: ADV Air Mesh Jacket: $329.95 I Rover Air Mesh Over Pants: $259.95

PROS:

• All-day comfort
  • Decent protection
  • True four-season adjustability

CONS

• Lack of color options especially for the pant
  • Inferior back pad

Where to Buy:

ADV Air Mesh JacketRevzilla btn

Rover Air Mesh Over PantsRevzilla btn