IGNORED

GS wheel/rim compatibility across the years

Kerry in Mpls

Kerry in Mpls

I picked up a 2016 R1200GS earlier this year. Intent is to use it primarily as a road touring machine. I have put road tires on it for best performance for that purpose. However, in the future I might want to occasionally hit some unpaved fire roads etc. So I am considering buying a spare set of rims and putting more off-road oriented tires on them so I can swap rims/tires as needed. If I were to look for used GS rims, is there a range of years I should target to fit on my '16?

Not a 100% on this but think you'll need to stay with the Wethead rims. Which are the 2013s' through present on the GS, and 2014 through present on the GSA. If you're talking light off road, IMO an easier option is to find a more in the middle tire that will work on both street and dirt roads. You'll lose a little on both ends but sometimes those inviting dirt roads pop up out of nowhere. :dontknow:

Kerry in Mpls
17 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Not a 100% on this but think you'll need to stay with the Wethead rims. Which are the 2013s' through present on the GS, and 2014 through present on the GSA. If you're talking light off road, IMO an easier option is to find a more in the middle tire that will work on both street and dirt roads. You'll lose a little on both ends but sometimes those inviting dirt roads pop up out of nowhere. :dontknow:

Yeah, I agree that a multipurpose tire is probably most the practical solution. I just like to know my options, even the less practical ones. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

Wethead are wider than previous GS rims. The cost of the of a spare set of wheels ain't cheap. If you want to do a direct swap out,  you need to consider the extra cost of brake rotors and sensor ring. Good 80/20 tire will get you what you need without giving handling.

Alan

Kerry in Mpls
On 8/27/2019 at 8:41 PM, Foot said:

Wethead are wider than previous GS rims. The cost of the of a spare set of wheels ain't cheap. If you want to do a direct swap out,  you need to consider the extra cost of brake rotors and sensor ring. Good 80/20 tire will get you what you need without giving handling.

Alan

Good point on rotors and sensor ring. The cost really adds up.

OK, I am convinced it is more practical to change tires maybe a bit more often, rather than have a second set of wheel/tire assemblies.