IGNORED

Driftin' - June 10-13, 2021

Mike

Folks...In an effort to avoid confusion, I’ve merged the threads related to this event. Please note the new (current) dates of June 10-13, 2021. AFAIK, it’s a ‘go,” so please consider joining us. 

This will be a no-cost, maximum-fun endeavor in some beautiful riding country.

As you muddle through this combined post, you’ll see that Mike the Moderator is hosting at his rustic, run-down cabin in SW Wisconsin, aided by Steve Knapp and Mitch “Joe Friday” Patrie. We’re trying to keep this true to the original BMWST credo of keeping it simple, cheap, and tons-of-fun.

Somewhere in this thread you’ll find a link that Steve has posted to “register.” We’re not gonna kick anyone out who doesn’t register, but it’ll be helpful to know roughly how many people to expect for our pathetically poor level of planning. This is the link to the registration page: REGISTER HERE FOR DRIFTIN’

Also, please take a moment to look at the attached Informal Guide I’ve put together. It tells you a bit about the location and the event. Being a nervous lawyer I’ve added a paragraph called “Legal Stuff” that basically says that you assume all liability for any loss, injury or death that befalls you:

LEGAL STUFF: Driftin’ is an informal non-profit event organized by unpaid volunteers. The activities involved, such as motorcycling and camping, involve inherent risks of property loss or damage, personal injury or (God forbid) death. By participating in this event, you acknowledge that you are a social guest of the organizers of this event and of Borah Borah Trust, and by participating you agree to hold them harmless for any loss, injury, or death arising out of this gathering, and to fully indemnify those parties for any lawsuit or claim you, your heirs or assigns might assert.

——— 

GANG, WE’RE MOVING THIS TO NEXT JUNE.

As much as it pains me to do this, it looks likely that the pandemonium pandemic currently impacting us will make it difficult to host the event next month.

So, the dates are now June 10-13, 2021. I’ll follow up with more information, but the basics remain the same—free, informal, fun.

My sincere apologies. I hate making this decision, but it seems the best. In the meanwhile, I will try to do a short-notice, even less formalized something here later this year. Keep your eyes open.

This is just coming together, but Mitch Patrie, Steve Knapp, and I are planning to host a very informal gathering at our place in the Driftless Zone of SW Wisconsin on June 11  - 14, 2020. The address is 13040 Borah Ridge Road, Prarie du Chien, WI 53821.  I've run this past Whip and tried to avoid conflicts with other big events.

We'll work out the details and post them here, but it'll be a chance to ride, camp, and just have a grand old time . . . without much of an agenda.  I've got space for maybe a dozen tent campers or so. Or, if you prefer, there's a beautiful state park (Wyalusing) within 5-6 miles of here. There's an old-fashioned motel just down the road (Captain's Cove); it's old-school, but inexpensive. If you want something a little more upscale, the nearby town of Prairie du Chien offers several hundred motel rooms, ranging from "I could never bring my wife here" to "Pretty darned nice."

We have a firepit, a halfway workable bathroom in our "barn," a wood pellet grill, and enough pavement to park a bunch of bikes. Whether there are five or fifty, we should be able to survive it. But, here's the deal--it's gonna be pretty informal. We'll toss together a group meal one night, but it will not be a Michelin 3-star experience.

Oh, the riding: there are hundreds of miles of great twisty paved roads here that wind through valleys and atop bluffs.  We'll put together a couple of route recommendations, but it's pretty hard to go wrong.  I'll explore some GS options, too.

RSVP here.

Official GPS route file here.

fullsizeoutput_ef58.jpeg

Driftin' 2021 Informal Guide.pdf

Edited by Mike
Added link to GPS route file and attached updated Informal Guide
  • Like 5
  • Mike featured this topic

If you're one who plans early, the little motel just at the bottom of our ridge is the Captain's Cove Motel. As I mentioned, it's far from modern, but immaculately kept. I stopped in a few minutes ago and spoke with the owner, Harry. He said his room rate is $80/night and that he plans on keeping that rate  through next year. If you make a reservation, tell Harry or Kit that Mike sent you.

Wyalusing State Park is the nearby state park I mentioned. If you want a few more amenities than are offered at Borah Borah (our cabin), if if you're bringing an RV, it offers incredible views, electrical hookups (at least on some sites), and shower facilities.

If you'd like a little more information about the town of Prairie du Chien and tourism, the Chamber of Commerce website offers tourism information and links to over 30 lodging options. PDC is the second oldest city in the State, and was visited by Marquette and Joliet on their voyage of discovery in 1673. The name Prairie du Chien derives from the French word, chien, a reference to the Fox indian chief, "Dog," who controlled the prairie where the city is now found.

I'm watching this with a wary eye, Mike.  I'll have to see how the rest of this year unfolds, but it might make the schedule next year.

• Like 1

A couple photos of the venue. It’s totally country. The Barn is gonna be HQ. The grassy area just beyond, the campground. 

10749AA1-9953-4EEB-96D6-0C24C84B05EE.jpeg

1F9CA044-0067-485C-933E-F0D5D33C5A36.jpeg

69339D0B-566A-4E06-BEEB-4F597DA95B9E.jpeg

1 hour ago, Foot said:

Sounds like a river road trip! Hopefully the Mississippi river doesn't flood again!

We've put Steve...who works for Google...in charge of weather, so I'm sure everything will be fine.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

I emailed the hotel and got this response. 

E16AACFF-C586-4BA4-A8F2-13AAB5B79C7A.png

I guess they're old school! Harry seems like a nice guy.

This little motel hosts a lot of fishermen and canoeists. They also offer canoe and kayak rentals for those interested. 

2 hours ago, Foot said:

Sounds like a river road trip! Hopefully the Mississippi river doesn't flood again!

Maybe go around Ferguson this time.:3:

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Bud said:

Found this while mucking around the web today.

https://driftlessroadadventures.com/

Includes downloadable GPS files for each of the rides. Free

Sample route, crooked roads

wisconsin-triangle-pic-2.jpg

An excellent resource! I’ve talked to them about modifying a few routes to start/finish at our place. I’ll post the details once that happens. 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
5 hours ago, Mike said:

I guess they're old school! Harry seems like a nice guy.

This little motel hosts a lot of fishermen and canoeists. They also offer canoe and kayak rentals for those interested. 

Mike,

I wasn't at all put off by his response; so, hope that's not how it's read.  Just thought I put this out so other interested attendees would have the info.  

3 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Mike,

I wasn't at all put off by his response; so, hope that's not how it's read.  Just thought I put this out so other interested attendees would have the info.  

I didn't read it that way. I guess I was just a wee bit surprised they do it manually (I guess). However, it is a very small operation--eight rooms, I believe--so I imagine they have to keep their costs low.

John Ranalletta
1 hour ago, Mike said:

I didn't read it that way. I guess I was just a wee bit surprised they do it manually (I guess). However, it is a very small operation--eight rooms, I believe--so I imagine they have to keep their costs low.

Any body else wanting a room there can get in line behind me....

• Like 1

I remember ten years ago coming across the country I was having a great time riding the roads around  Trempealeau.  Camped in the Perrot State Park, in the rain... Enjoyed all the lettered roads DD, XX,A, AA TT, VD, W, T etc.  Got me thoroughly confused...  I'd do it again... :thumbsup:

Plus there's Spring Green!

• Like 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 9/2/2019 at 8:00 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Mitch,

Sorry about the leg.  Nobody told me.

Don't feel bad, nobody told me either.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LBump said:

I remember ten years ago coming across the country I was having a great time riding the roads around  Trempealeau.  Camped in the Perrot State Park, in the rain... Enjoyed all the lettered roads DD, XX,A, AA TT, VD, W, T etc.  Got me thoroughly confused...  I'd do it again... :thumbsup:

Plus there's Spring Green!

Spring Green is a nice destination, a little more than an hour from Borah Borah, much of the ride along the Wisconsin River. It’s also the home of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin, a World Heritage Site.  

I’ll work on a list of possible destinations, but we’re very close to Effigy Mounds National Monument, the Upper Mississippi National Fish and Wildlife Refuge, and a number of other sites of historic and natural significance. 

The Kickapoo River, not far from here, is believed by some geologists to be the oldest river in the world. And, the Driftless Zone itself is of tremendous natural significance, home to species and geological features found nowhere else. 

• Like 1

Now that was a very informative film, Thanks Mike! :thumbsup:

A very special and geological sensitive are for sure.  I hope it's totally preserved... 

2 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Hmmmm....this is only about 1200 miles away. Compared to the UN, it could be 900 miles closer depending on final location........

Do ‘em all!

Never say never. The 2019 UN was 1900 miles away for me and I made that. Never been to the Wisconsin area. 

I do have a business to run. But it is getting easier to tell customers I won't be back for a week or so.......

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mike said:

Do ‘em all!

Actually, trying to be a little serious...I ran the timing by Larry. It’s almost impossible to avoid every conflict, but I ended up with this timing for a couple of reasons—

-Generally, it’s a good time of year for riding here. The heat and humidity of summer haven’t yet made an appearance. Kids are out of school, and there aren’t any holidays that might keep people from traveling. 

-With the Un happening in July, it doesn’t have to be an either/or for anyone. This is going to be even more Un than the Un: show up, hang out, have a ride or two. 

-It turns out that Mitch and Steve will likely be available on these dates to pitch in. 

• 2 weeks later...

While most of us will be focused on the roads, I thought that some might be interested in spending a few hours fishing. If you're inclined to strap your waders to the back of your motorcycle, the Driftless is one of the top fly fishing destinations in the world, with over 13,000 miles of designated trout streams in the Wisconsin portion alone. I have a friend who's a professional guide; if you're interested, I can connect you.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/trout-fishing-driftless-area-midwest/

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Yeeha Stephen said:

Well.... this may be something that would entice Yeeha! Stephen out from under his rock!

:lurk:

I hope so! We’ll keep it nice and easy...just about friends and riding. 

I just rolled into the Wisconsin estate a couple of hours ago, and I can’t wait to share this fantastic area with friends. Three gents on GS’s rolled by as I was unloading the Jeep. 

Put it in my calendar.   Whether I come out of the MKE area or the North Woods makes it a shorty trip.  In any case the Driftless Area is a gem of a place in Wisconsin

It would be great to finally meet some of the folks here in the flesh.

I’ve done some checking on hotels, and there is quite a range of prices, some over $200/night. So far, apart from the Captain’s Cove (mentioned above), the least expensive modern hotel is the Microtel, with room rates starting the low $80 range: https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/microtel/prairie-du-chien-wisconsin/microtel-inn-suites-prairie-du-chine/overview

I’ve also secured a block of rooms at a very nice new hotel in downtown Prairie du Chien, the Riverfront Hotel, under the reservation code “BMWST”. It’s notably more expensive, but with excellent accommodations overlooking the Mighty Mississippi. These rates include tax and breakfast, and there is a nice bar and restaurant with outdoor seating:

Standard King (2): $188.44 per unit 

Standard Queen: (8): $199.59 per unit

Their website is www.waterfronthotelwi.com tel. 608.380.1021.

Additionally, there is a block of rooms available at the Microtel under the reservation code "BMWST". The rate--available if you book the three nights, Thursday through Sunday--is $95/day for rooms with two queen beds. They serve a hot and cold breakfast buffet. If you book for fewer days, the rate will be higher.  This block of rooms is being held until April 27, 2020, but the manager (Bethany) suggested you book earlier if possible, as they expect June to be busy. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/microtel/prairie-du-chien-wisconsin/microtel-inn-suites-prairie-du-chine/overview

The Microtel is located on Hwy 18 and most dining options are not walkable. The Waterfront is located downtown, and a couple of good restaurants are very close. They are, respectively, 5.5 and 8.5 miles from our Driftin’ HQ. 

To give you a bit better flavor of the differences, the Microtel offers fairly basic accommodations and is located on the US Highway that cuts through town. Apart from being close to the best restaurant in town (The Black Angus), not much else is walkable. The Riverfront Hotel is more luxurious, has a bar onsite and will have a restaurant open by the time of our event.  It's located a very short distance (across the street) from two good restaurants and a great coffee shop, as well as some shopping (though those options are limited).

We've put together an informal guide (Version 1) for those who are thinking of joining us. This is a work in progress, and we will add more information over the next few months, so check back occasionally. This contains some info on the venue, local accommodations, and other info you might find helpful. If there's anything you'd like to see included in it, let us know.

We will be adding information on routes and destinations in the area.

Note that this guide contains information on the two hotels where we've secured blocks of rooms under a group rate, as well as other places. It's a popular tourist area, so there are many other options if these don't suit you. However, you'd be wise to think ahead, lest you find the "No Vacancy" sign  hung on the door. There are links within this document to help you connect to some of the businesses.

Again, there will be no charge for Driftin'. We'll put together a group meal, something casual, and will invite those who are so inclined to toss something in the hat to help cover those costs. If you're brave enough, you can camp on site.

Driftin' 2020 Informal Guide.pdf

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for doing this for the rest of us.

I might be able to provide some Makers Mark fudge to go with the meal.

Looking forward to Driftin in SW Wisconsin.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bud said:

Thanks for doing this for the rest of us.

I might be able to provide some Makers Mark fudge to go with the meal.

Looking forward to Driftin in SW Wisconsin.

That would be a great addition! Don’t put yourself out if it’s a problem, but I’m sure it would be appreciated by the Drifters. 

• Like 1