Mike

Driftin' - June 10-13, 2021

Mike
22 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Who is planning to stay at Captains Cove motel down the hill?  I currently have a reservation but may also have my camping gear with me.

Captain’s Cove is an old-style motel, but I stayed there a couple of times back when we were building the cabin and found it to be clean and comfortable.  It’s roughly a mile from our place.  

For those who might be interested in being in the town of Prairie du Chien, there are a lot of options that are around 5-7 miles from Driftin’ HQ. https://business.prairieduchien.org/list/ql/lodging-62

The River District and Waterfront hotels are probably the nicest, and they’re in the downtown area of town.  The River District Hotel has a nice rooftop bar with a basic food menu. The downtown has a couple of good places to eat, but most of what you’ll find are bars that offer little more than burgers and pizza. The Blackhawk is the exception, with a pretty broad menu. 

Closer to us, on Highway 18, I’d probably go with the Microtel or the AmericInn. The latter is close to the Black Angus, which offers the best food in town...by a wide margin. However, they’re only open for dinner.

The only camping that’s reasonably close (other than our lawn) is at Wyalusing State Park, which is six miles away. The park offers some stunning vistas of the Mississippi and Wisconsin River valleys.

With respect to both motel/hotel and camping options, I’d suggest booking now if you’re even halfway certain of joining us. This is a popular tourism area, and it can be difficult to find lodging if you wait to reserve. Also, you might just be able to snag a lower room rate now...some of these businesses seem to be offering pretty attractive rates at the moment to attract guests, after having suffered a disastrous year in 2020.

syntorz

I'm reserved at the AmericInn Thur-Sun. Not sure if I'll ride over on Thur and join the group for Fri, or perhaps ride part way on Wed eve in preparation for Thur AM. I guess that'll depend on weather and schedule of the grand festivities...

If anyone is wanting a riding partner from the SE WI (MKE area) or points in between Iet me know.