IGNORED

Driftin' - June 10-13, 2021

Mike

realshelby

Don't apologize! Regardless of how this years event went, I know that you put work and time into setting it up. I had plans to attend. 

You cannot ask for more! Thank you. 

I still have no idea what to think about travelling. I do not think I want to stay in motels, try to find something to eat while on the road. 

Wife may be retiring soon. We will likely take the motorhome on a trip or two. That is about the only way to stay secluded in today's world!

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wanted to bring this back to the top, to remind everyone that June 10 - 13, 2021 is the new date. I’m guessing that most of you, like I, had to cancel much of your life this year. I’m looking forward to resuming some semblance of a normal life.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Endobob said:

Thats for the update.  If there is a vaccine and I can get one, I should be able to attend.

I've got at least one good long distance ride left ... could be interesting ... but definitely depends on covid vaccine / environment at the time.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2020 at 4:26 PM, chrisolson said:

I've got at least one good long distance ride left ... could be interesting ... but definitely depends on covid vaccine / environment at the time.

Wait...what?  You back in the saddle again?

6 minutes ago, graydude said:

Wait...what?  You back in the saddle again?

Why, yes .... 

IMG_0987.thumb.JPG.cdc47af65e4c18d23ac00c9b3ea906f2.JPG

Its little brother ... an FZ6 instead of FZ1 ... a bit lighter and lower ... but I miss the torque of the 1000

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Good morning, all. It seems like a good time to restart the discussion. I’m ready to start planning (again) for this mostly informal get together, which was postponed from last year. 

Here’s the general lay of the land:

-June 10-13, 2021

-13040 Borah Ridge Rd., Prairie du Chien, WI 53821. It’s very close to the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers

-The get together will center (sort of) around our shack in SW Wisconsin. We’re about five miles outside of the city of Prairie du Chien, WI.  I’ll again identify a hotel or two, and share what group rate they may offer. If you want to get cracking early, Captain’s Cove Motel is at the base of our ridge. It’s a clean, well maintained place, but is an old school motel. Nothing fancy.

-We’ll have space for around a dozen tent campers here if no one is a space hog. Facilities other than a Porta-potty, water, and a shower serviced by a very small heater are pretty minimal (Fair warning: we’re on a gravel road that can be somewhat busy in the summer; you’ll possibly get a bit dusty). Wyalusing State Park is nearby and offers beautiful camping sites.

-Mitch Patrie and Steve Knapp are part of your Unofficial Hosting Crew. Mitch has put together some routes. The riding around here is excellent.

-On the last night we’ll have some sort of shindig/meal. Maybe cooked by yours truly. Maybe something catered.

-Our barn (a pole shed) offers a way to get away from the rain or sun. We’ll have some tables set up, as well as a charging station for phones and a few maps. I’ll brew a big ol’ pot of coffee each morning. 

-Zero cost, kinda.  We’ll have a coffee can or similar, and would ask that you consider tossing something in it if you’re able. We’ll use that money to rent the Porta-Potty, buy food, etc. If there’s anything left over, it’ll be contributed to the BMWST operating fund or a local charity (I’ll run this by Whip).

This part of the world stayed largely open during the pandemic. Restaurants, as of today, are generally operating at reduced capacity, but you should have no problem finding food, fuel and lodging. Understanding that viewpoints different, I’d ask that you respect others’ decisions as to their personal choices. I tend to think that things will be more normal by June, but we’ll still have ample hand washing facilities and sanitizer available. If at that time you want to wear a mask, have at it. If you don’t, have at it. It’s pretty much, by its very nature, going to be outside or in the well-ventilated barn (double overhead doors at either end).

It’s time to get back to life. Let’s do this!

On 1/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, Mike said:

-We’ll have space for around a dozen tent campers here if no one is a space hog. Facilities other than a Porta-potty, water, and a shower serviced by a very small heater are pretty minimal (Fair warning: we’re on a gravel road that can be somewhat busy in the summer; you’ll possibly get a bit dusty).

Currently planning to camp. A little road dust and using a porta-potty doesn't bother me but bur I'm wondering how close to the road the camping space will be.

22 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Currently planning to camp. A little road dust and using a porta-potty doesn't bother me but bur I'm wondering how close to the road the camping space will be.

I haven’t exactly mapped it out yet, but I’d say anywhere from about 50-100’ from the road. I’ve outlined the areas that I’m thinking will work best on the attached photo. FYI, the area east of the cabin won’t work...it’s on a slope and planted in prairie plants that are 3-5’ tall. Of course, if anyone wants to drag a cot into the barn they’re welcome to do so...understanding, of course, that the coffee making and other activities may start a bit early.  Many years ago I nearly met my demise when a storm blew down a tree near a tent I was in, so I’m going to suggest that people not camp under the trees. 😬

To give you an idea of scale, the unforested area you see in this Google photo is roughly three acres. 

FYI, there are some beautiful campsites at Wyalusing State Park, which a short and scenic ride from the cabin. 

B1C66460-89D4-4304-83CB-ED4D954A6B69.jpeg

The photo I’ve attached here gives you a bit of an idea of the immediate vicinity. We’re on a bluff that’s about 500’ above the Wisconsin River Valley (west), and near the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. The road getting up to our place can actually be a bit tricky, with some gravel-strewn switchbacks. 

You’ll see that the town of Prairie du Chien, which has quite a few hotels, motels, and restaurants is nearby, about five miles. Wyalusing State Park is roughly the same distance.

90C83810-88F1-4FD9-819B-D37C850A40B8.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

DyAnne and I are in.

Camping in a local hotel!

Excellent. There’s an old-school motel at the base of the bluff, Captain’s Cove, that’s well maintained and accessible. If you prefer to be in town, there are many options, ranging from, I’d guess, around $90 to $300/night. I haven’t checked on rates lately, so I’m not sure of how they’re pricing rooms post-pandemic. There are some very low rates shown on Priceline and similar websites, but you can’t always trust those numbers. 

Local hotels.

• Thanks 1

I thought about showing up, but my old Harley really doesn't take to those dirt roads you hoodlums hang out on. Besides, they get my shiny paint all dusty and dirty! 

And no, I'm not buying an adv bike any time soon...

Have fun, the riding and roads in that area are just fantastic (even if one were to stay with paved roads!).

2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

I thought about showing up, but my old Harley really doesn't take to those dirt roads you hoodlums hang out on. Besides, they get my shiny paint all dusty and dirty! 

And no, I'm not buying an adv bike any time soon...

Have fun, the riding and roads in that area are just fantastic (even if one were to stay with paved roads!).

Hey...Harleys are made for dirt roads. Really, 90% of the roads in the area are paved. We happened to end up on one where the last quarter mile or so is not. 🥲  You can park at the bottom of the hill and let one of the GS guys or gals give you a ride the rest of the way. 

image.jpeg.ba76edbc3a6451f9e6acae50c6e6688d.jpeg

Seriously, there’s probably only around 1,000 feet of road...just before you get to our run-down cabin...that’s unpaved. This will be HQ: image.jpeg.d9a34c950962602227dcfba4876af4f3.jpeg

It may not be much to look at, but it’s paid off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
John Ranalletta

Don’t believe a word of it. There’s valet parking and servants greet you at the door once past the guard house. 

• Like 1

Now that is my kind of road!

You guys are awful nice looking out for me like that.

No promises I'll make it, but I do have to consider it. I'm ok with loud Harleys in the back of the line...

On 1/30/2021 at 8:02 AM, Mike said:

We’re on a bluff that’s about 500’ above the Wisconsin River Valley (west), and near the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers. The road getting up to our place can actually be a bit tricky, with some gravel-strewn switchbacks. 

I have a GS but I'm 99.9% a pavement rider. Should I be concerned?

OK, I missed the later post that there's only about 1000 feet of unpaved road. I think that means the switchbacks are paved.

20 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

Don’t believe a word of it. There’s valet parking and servants greet you at the door once past the guard house. 

Meeting oncoming traffic on the narrow road along the side of the hill could get a bit exciting.

John Ranalletta
1 minute ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Meeting oncoming traffic on the narrow road along the side of the hill could get a bit exciting.

Yep.  Had a brain fart on the first right hander and almost stalled the bike.  Great road and one of many, many great roads in the area.

5 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I have a GS but I'm 99.9% a pavement rider. Should I be concerned?

OK, I missed the later post that there's only about 1000 feet of unpaved road. I think that means the switchbacks are paved.

It’s not terribly technical. Paved until the last little bit. A few of the BMWST gang have visited and no lives have been lost. If it freaks anyone out, you can also approach from the east, off of County Hwy P, but it’s a longer stretch on gravel. Bottom line is that I do it on my RT and it’s not a problem.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:51 PM, Dave_in_TX said:

I probably won't be attending. I'm currently in ICU with a fractured scapula and some fractured tired ribs. I don't think I'll be sufficiently recovered to make the trip from Texas. A deer ran into me this morning while I was out riding

Oh no, not again Dave!   Hope your healing process goes well!   jb  (better a late reply than no reply I guess)

44 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

Oh no, not again Dave!   Hope your healing process goes well!   jb  (better a late reply than no reply I guess)

John, I've been back riding for months now and am planning to make it to Driftin'. Did you possibly misread the date on the post you quoted?

55 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

John, I've been back riding for months now and am planning to make it to Driftin'. Did you possibly misread the date on the post you quoted?

Sure did miss the date...but I edited my reply to indicate I was late in replying.  :4617:  Anyway, I'm glad you're healed and going strong!

Joe Frickin' Friday
On 1/30/2021 at 8:04 PM, John Ranalletta said:

For anyone watching, note that the gravel starts at 2:35 and ends just 30 seconds later.  That's it - the rest of the approach from the north is paved.

I've been haunting the Driftless Area for almost twenty years now.  I've lost count of how many trips I've taken there - maybe ten five-day weekends? - and have mapped out a lot of good roads:

Driftless.thumb.jpg.6212c36cad702f3a83ba3bab56ce22f5.jpg

For the Driftin' event, I put together a whole menu of routes for day rides that start/end at Borah Borah and range from less than 200 miles to well over 300 miles:

Driftin.thumb.jpg.aa74a23fae27840ef062f686e61ea3c8.jpg

Based on my prior experience riding many of these roads (and careful scrutiny of new roads using Google's satellite views and street views), you should not expect to encounter much unpaved road on these rides.  I put these routes together last spring in anticipation of the event happening last June.  The event got cancelled, so I never shared the routes.  I will be giving them one final review before posting them some time later this spring.

For the 2015 UnRally in Warrens, I posted some general riding advice for the Driftless.  I will repeat it here.

In addition to the typical road hazards, Wisconsin has a couple you might be less familiar with. If you see this:

i-CscPc5S-M.jpg

It’s a horse-drawn buggy with Amish folk aboard. The horses are used to motorized vehicles – mostly. You should pass with caution, because they are nonetheless animals with minds of their own.

OTOH, if you see this:

i-Bcv66VZ-M.jpg

Give them a wave. The Amish tend to stick to themselves, but they’re plenty friendly and can generally be counted on to reciprocate. :wave:

The Driftless Zone has plenty of arable land and lots of agricultural activity. Mid-June should be well past the end of planting season, but there are still no guarantees you won’t encounter hideously large farm equipment on the road. Go easy on the blind corners and rises, lest you become one with John Deere:

i-MBDsF7T.jpg

Not all gas stations in rural Wisconsin have high-octane gasoline. I’ve marked (as waypoints) a few that I’ve encountered during my time there. If you have less than 100 miles left in your tank and you come across a station with high-octane gasoline, I recommend stopping to fill up.

If you’re just looking for a quick bathroom break, many state and county parks have public bathrooms available (generally without plumbing). Some city parks do too.  Not necessarily cleaner than gas station bathrooms, but sometimes a quiet, traffic-free stop in the countryside is nicer than one in the city, ya know?

• Like 3

I grew up in Amish country in western P.A.  As a side note , their horse driven buggy's can leave a pretty slippery mess in the middle of the road. Just sayin  LOL

• Haha 1
Joe Frickin' Friday
58 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

I grew up in Amish country in western P.A.  As a side note , their horse driven buggy's can leave a pretty slippery mess in the middle of the road. Just sayin  LOL

Add that to the dirt and other crud that falls off of ag equipment as it's trundling down the road.  Plenty of reasons to be attentive in the Driftless, but still a great place to ride.

• Like 2
Lone_RT_rider
On 2/1/2021 at 9:12 AM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Add that to the dirt and other crud that falls off of ag equipment as it's trundling down the road.  Plenty of reasons to be attentive in the Driftless, but still a great place to ride.

Just remember the old saying as you ride down those roads that look like they have a little mud on them. 

"There's no mud on the floor of the barn"

~ Horse people

• 3 weeks later...

Just re-read the entire thread. How little we knew only one year ago. >500,000 covid/covid-related deaths, vaccines produced in record time, "normal" life is now the new-normal.

I can not think of a better way to celebrate the riding life than this event. Now that I'm back on a Beemer, all the more reason to attend.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making some new ones.

• Like 2

Well, I’m happy to see that we’re already up to around a dozen confirmed attendees. This is all going to be pretty informal, but at some point we’re going to start planning for a meal, daily coffee, etc., so it would be good to know how many are likely to show up. 

If you would be so kind, please REGISTER HERE FOR DRIFTIN’. That way we won’t run out of coffee.

I am scheduled for my Covid shot in just over a week. Then the follow up in 3-4 weeks. So...I should be open to traveling. This is high on my list. Wife is retiring end of this month...Just need to check a few boxes.....

4 minutes ago, realshelby said:

I am scheduled for my Covid shot in just over a week. Then the follow up in 3-4 weeks. So...I should be open to traveling. This is high on my list. Wife is retiring end of this month...Just need to check a few boxes.....

It would be great if you can join us. I anticipate that it’ll be a a busy tourist season (lots of pent-up demand), so you may want to go ahead and check on accommodations, to get something locked in. You can always cancel later if you need to.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Who is planning on camping?

I'm not definitely in yet.  But hoping to, and would prefer to camp at nearby campground.

10 hours ago, Ken S said:

I'm not definitely in yet.  But hoping to, and would prefer to camp at nearby campground.

Ken, there are two options that are close and would work. This commercial campground is around 15 minutes away: Boulder Creek Campground.

If spots are still available (it fills months in advance), I’d suggest trying to get a camping area at Wyalusing State Park. You can make campground reservations here

1 minute ago, Dave_in_TX said:

If I camp. It will be at Mike's place.

We’ll have a golden retriever available if you need a tent mate. 

7FC57D75-AAD0-4DDC-8510-37A79DAB38BB.jpeg

• Like 2

Damn, this sounds great....and you sound like a great group of people.  Is this an annual thing?  I already am locked into a trip from SoCal to Montana, via Timbuktu, for June 19 - July 3 for this year.  However, I would love to get to that part of the country now that I am retired (well, as of June 7).

I hope everyone has a terrific, safe, and memorable time!

Rob

9 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

Damn, this sounds great....and you sound like a great group of people.  Is this an annual thing?  I already am locked into a trip from SoCal to Montana, via Timbuktu, for June 19 - July 3 for this year.  However, I would love to get to that part of the country now that I am retired (well, as of June 7).

I hope everyone has a terrific, safe, and memorable time!

Rob

Congrats on your impending retirement, Rob! This is the first time we’re doing it (after canceling it last June), but if the consensus is to continue it, we’ll do so. Happy riding!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Dave_in_TX

Who is planning to stay at Captains Cove motel down the hill?  I currently have a reservation but may also have my camping gear with me.