IGNORED

Can the RT with ESA be lowered?

fourteenfour

fourteenfour

If so how do you go about it ?  The low seat is torture so I am wanting to find out if lowering the suspension is an option

On 8/25/2019 at 7:07 AM, CommuterChris said:

If so how do you go about it ?  The low seat is torture so I am wanting to find out if lowering the suspension is an option

This reply is in two parts.

First, I was told that the suspension is low/normal/high instead of one helmet/helmet plus luggage/two helmets, and for this reason factory-low bikes aren't available, at least on the GS. So setting it on "low" would be how you do it. Lowering just the seat increases the knee bend which my knees don't like. I personally have a factory-low GSA (2016) rather than a stock one with a low seat, because using the stock seat on a lowered frame doesn't change the knee bend. I tried a shiftcam GSA with stock seat set to the low position, though, and it worked for me, so I don't think I'd need/want a lowered frame. I'd double check before I bought a new one, though!

Second, what do you mean "the low seat is torture"? Is it uncomfortable to sit on? If so, a custom seat might fix that. If something else is wrong, and the low suspension setting doesn't do the job, then yes - suspension adjustments might be in order.

Ignore the last.  It applies to the GSA.  On the new RT, setting the suspension only slightly increases sag (thus lowering) on the bike.  Ted Porter is your best option or set the seat in the low position and install a foot peg lowering kit.