IGNORED

70% used tires

RecentConvert

RecentConvert

Perhaps I am a poor planner for longer trips, but I find myself accumulating 70% used tires.   Not good enough to start a trip on, but still has plenty of life for local riding.  Most trips are with my wife on the back, so I am extra aware of tire condition.

I have a 60% used Angel GT A spec set that wasn't good enough for the trip to Newfoundland last month.  Now I have a 70% used Bridgestone T31 GT set than isn't good enough for the Torrey trip next month.  

I've looked at changing to new tires somewhere on the road but that cost gets outrageous quickly.

I hate discarding these used tires since they are still very usable and safely above the wear bars, but the costs of changing them out, even at my local guy, doesn't make financial sense.  Any advice?    I am thinking I just need to get over it and chuck them.

RecentConvert

I did answer my own question, but then found another solution.  Rocky Mountain ATV also has a dealership right on my route.  Mail order prices and $92 to mount and balance a set on my RT.  :clap:

The other alternative is to invest in the tools required to change them yourself, if you have room for them.  This typically involved a Harbor Freight or NoMar tire changer mounted (perhaps removably) to a piece of plywood.  It's not small, and you need to room to keep it when not in use, or a garage space big enough to permanently mount it to the floor.

I've never tried it but there a more than a few YouTube University videos that make the changing part look fairly easy. You'd still need a balance of some kind but those appear to be easily stowable. John Painter (TinderBox Arts on YT) recently posted one that was very good.

I feel you. I hate throwing away stuff that's usable (while still being safe).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pappy35 said:

I've never tried it but there a more than a few YouTube University videos that make the changing part look fairly easy.

With the right equipment and somebody to show you how the first time, it's usually not that hard.  I've done it, using other people's equipment.  I've also done it, out of necessity, with nothing but a HF bead breaker and industrial zip ties.  That was a pain in the ass, but it worked.  But no matter which way you do it, takes time.  How much of your time is it worth to use the last 20-30% of available tire wear?

2 minutes ago, Bill_Walker said:

How much of your time is it worth to use the last 20-30% of available tire wear?

A credit card is the most versatile tool made. 

• Like 2

Run them to the cords!!!!  I'm not going to pull tires, long trip or not, before their time, especially if they have 1k-2k worth of mileage on them.  Drop ship the new tires to your next location, then mount them in the parking lot.

image.thumb.png.94211c4bfa7424773befc822045f77b5.pngimage.png.09d36124b011a34244ad95e763949d45.png

Anyway, get a set of tire spoons, change them on the road if you feel you must, tires need to be warm otherwise it's quite difficult (I lay in the sun or put next to a heater in winter).  Warm tires make it easy, 15-30 minutes, both tires are changed.

image.png.b40d4992c716ff374fa5484b9d8f5134.png

My rear tire has never been balanced and my front does get a static balance but only takes one or two tabs of weight (.25-.50 oz).

• Like 1

I don't commute on the bike, or seem to ride all that much locally. So, I too have replaced perfectly good tires before long trips. Just didn't trust them to make the trip based on rate of wear I had observed.

The previous rear T-31 got its pressure reduced to 39 from the recommended 42 at about 4500 miles. This seemed to lower wear rate. New T-31 on rear for the Lake George Un....at 39 psi from day one. I keep a tread depth measurement of my tires. After returning from the UN, with around 4500 or so miles on the tire, it had between 3 and 4/32" tread depth. Measured above the TWI. Had to take a trip to WV, putting 2700 miles on it. Was fairly sure it would last and I didn't have time to put on a new tire anyway. So I have over 7000 miles on this tire....and it still has between 2 and 3/32" tread! I think I would take off on another 2-3000 mile trip. I have not gone further than 7000 miles on any rear tire on the RT's, even when commuting. I don't run them to the cords, most had tread above the TWI's. 

But now I am thinking I CAN make some of these trips that before I would have installed a new rear tire for.  I like these T-31's, and having run two sets I feel like I can trust the tread wear. It seems these tires wear slower as the tread depth diminishes. 

• Like 1

Yep ...I've faced the same issue but when I think about the REAL cost and the REAL risk the cost of changing a tire with 20% or 30% life left seems cheap.  So let's think about this .... for discussion purposes let's say a tire costs $200 so 20% of that is $40 or 30% is $60.   For $40-$60 I'd rather leave home on tires I know will make the trip versus getting a flat, having to deal with bald tires in rain, or having to settle for an inferior tire mounted at what might be an inferior shop.  

The only other option I would consider if I were taking a long trip would be where I cold arrange to have tires waiting at a reputable dealer and have them installed along the way. 

• Like 1

According to my trip route and general location I try to route by a BMW dealer and get new shoe(s). Inconvenient and sometimes not feasible but a dealer has never failed to accommodate me when on the road. 

You really don't need a lot of junk to change tires yourself.  Couple of spoons as mentioned above, that parnes balancing unit (optional).  I use a ratchet strap (mounted around the circumference of the tire) and a 12v pump to seat the beads.  The whole kit is actually small enough that you *could* pack it with you on trips, and it pays for itself quickly.  Watch a bunch of youtubes on it, give it a try.  You'll be glad you did.

I'd take a set off your hands if you were near me.  With the amount of riding I've done the last few years, those would last me two seasons. 

(I mount my own tires.)

13yr at a dealership in Calif. Centrally located between Yosemite and the Sequoias.

Not many Saturdays (usually) went by when we would arrive to have a "traveller" waiting for us with a bald rear tire and a buddy or three in tow in varying states of discontent because the bikes owner left town the day before, two or three days before with a questionable tire. 

Especially in Summer, when a tire gets to 50% the wear rate really speeds up plus there's extra luggage, extra speed normally, some testosterone pushing things along. 

We we would have regular service appointments but the SM always had a nook and cranny of time for a tire, sometimes two. 

The traveller sometimes would need rear pads of course or see a gadget up front he wanted installed which would cause the SM's lower sphincter to twitch as there are only so many free hours on a short Saturday. . 

As parts manager, I had the easy job feeding them free donuts and coffee and letting them buy the latest cool thing or maybe a new helmet and shipping the old one home. 

Dont be "that guy" 

And really, why let 1/2 worn tires stack up and get old. 

Say what you will about service managers, they really have a lot to deal with .

When I went to an independent shop that worked on bmw after the dealership I was PM and SM. 

I went through a portion of what the job entails. 

• Like 1

I put those 70% tires on craigslist...free to those who can use them.  It is almost always younger riders of sport bikes that come to get them.  They are grateful, and I've learned that the 70%ers can be 200% better than what they are currently running. 

A couple of guys were so excited when they saw what I was offering I had to know what they had on their bikes. So I asked them to send me a picture of their current tires...those pictures were of a tire with 2% at the most.

• Like 1
On 8/25/2019 at 4:37 AM, Living the Dream said:

Run them to the cords!!!!  I'm not going to pull tires, long trip or not, before their time, especially if they have 1k-2k worth of mileage on them.  Drop ship the new tires to your next location, then mount them in the parking lot.

image.thumb.png.94211c4bfa7424773befc822045f77b5.pngimage.png.09d36124b011a34244ad95e763949d45.png

Anyway, get a set of tire spoons, change them on the road if you feel you must, tires need to be warm otherwise it's quite difficult (I lay in the sun or put next to a heater in winter).  Warm tires make it easy, 15-30 minutes, both tires are changed.

image.png.b40d4992c716ff374fa5484b9d8f5134.png

My rear tire has never been balanced and my front does get a static balance but only takes one or two tabs of weight (.25-.50 oz).

You must have death wish to ride on tires that look like that. That’s nuts!

19 hours ago, gordiet said:

You must have death wish to ride on tires that look like that. That’s nuts!

Don't question your mortality, you won't get out alive anyway ;)

You should try them in the rain,....that's the challenge :18::4315:

On 8/29/2019 at 9:06 AM, eddd said:

I put those 70% tires on craigslist...free to those who can use them.  It is almost always younger riders of sport bikes that come to get them.  They are grateful, and I've learned that the 70%ers can be 200% better than what they are currently running. 

A couple of guys were so excited when they saw what I was offering I had to know what they had on their bikes. So I asked them to send me a picture of their current tires...those pictures were of a tire with 2% at the most.

THAT is a great idea!