IGNORED

Rough idle, poss electrical issues related?

motofiala

Friends...seems like I make an annual stop on this forum, but you all have never let me down, so here's this year's issue:

[2002 R1150R, 63,000mi]

Been noticing the bike seems to take longer to start and a longer time to settle into an idle, which seems to be at a lower RPM than it did when it was newer.  Battery was replaced in Sep 2016.  I have come out a couple times this summer after the bike sits for 3-5 days and it won't turnover, like the battery is low. Checked battery: 12v and no apparent drain per the multimeter.  When I am riding it the idle seems lower and more rough than before.

I am pretty diligent about maintenance but admit I have never done a valve adjustment...in the 2 or so times it was in the shop I *think* they were checked/adjusted. I have to admit I am intimidated by a valve adjustment....because frankly while I understand what they do, I don't know if I could tell the difference between in v out of adjustment.

Anyway, those are the symptoms.  Don't know if they are related. Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

Mark

Difficult starting is a classic problem due to reduced valve clearances. Get a set of feeler gauges, two for intake and two for exhaust. .015 and.030.  Is your 2002 a single spark with a central coil?  That would be one spark plug in each cylinder.

There are You Tube videos that show a valve adjustment. If you post your location, there might be someone near you to look over your shoulder while you learn to do it.

You really need to re-establish a base line.

Clean or renew spark plugs. Valve clearances. Check your air filter for cleanliness. Remove and clean the BBS's and their associated galleries. Do a throttle body synch and reset the idle.

Thank you. I will dive into the valves. Plugs [single spark] are new but the air filter can be changed.  Sorry...BBS?  I belong to a motorcycle co-op in Cleveland Ohio so I have plenty of friends to help once I get into it.  I will let you all know how it goes...thanks for the direction!

Mark

12 hours ago, motofiala said:

Friends...seems like I make an annual stop on this forum, but you all have never let me down, so here's this year's issue:

[2002 R1150R, 63,000mi]

Been noticing the bike seems to take longer to start and a longer time to settle into an idle, which seems to be at a lower RPM than it did when it was newer.  Battery was replaced in Sep 2016.  I have come out a couple times this summer after the bike sits for 3-5 days and it won't turnover, like the battery is low. Checked battery: 12v and no apparent drain per the multimeter.  When I am riding it the idle seems lower and more rough than before.

I am pretty diligent about maintenance but admit I have never done a valve adjustment...in the 2 or so times it was in the shop I *think* they were checked/adjusted. I have to admit I am intimidated by a valve adjustment....because frankly while I understand what they do, I don't know if I could tell the difference between in v out of adjustment.

Anyway, those are the symptoms.  Don't know if they are related. Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks!

Mark

Morning Mark

Before going into the maintenance thing you might do a good  battery charge, THEN remove #5 fuse for  about 5 minutes, then reinstall fuse 5 &  do new TPS relearn.

Those 1150 bikes can be a bit hesitant to fire right off if the TPS loses it registration to the Motronic.

When the battery goes low or dead on the 1150 bikes the Motronic can lose it's TPS learning.

To do a TPS re-learn--

(with choke OFF)

*Remove fuse #5 for about 5 minutes, then re-install the fuse.

Then

*Switch on the ignition.

Then

*Without starting the engine, fully open/close the throttle twice so that
the Fueling Computer can register the throttle-valve position.

Then

*Switch off the ignition.

That's it, that re-teaches the TPS where closed & open throttle is.

• 2 weeks later...

So here's an update:

I started by doing the TPS relearn which really helped a lot.  It started and idled properly.  Nonetheless I decided to do the valve adjustment. I ordered a set of feeler gauges to do the valve pairs at the same time, and since I didn't know the last time a valve adjustment was done, also got the plastic gaskets as well.

With the help of my manuals and youtube, I was able to adjust the left side without a problem.  However, the right side is a challenge. I could not get the feeler gauges in to check clearances, and not matter how far out I backed the adjustment screw, I could not get them in. I also seems like the rocker arms won't move the way they did on the left side. 

Is it possible to the right rocker arm is over-tightened, or is there something I am missing on the right that is different from the left?

As always, thanks in advance.

Mark

20 minutes ago, motofiala said:

So here's an update:

I started by doing the TPS relearn which really helped a lot.  It started and idled properly.  Nonetheless I decided to do the valve adjustment. I ordered a set of feeler gauges to do the valve pairs at the same time, and since I didn't know the last time a valve adjustment was done, also got the plastic gaskets as well.

With the help of my manuals and youtube, I was able to adjust the left side without a problem.  However, the right side is a challenge. I could not get the feeler gauges in to check clearances, and not matter how far out I backed the adjustment screw, I could not get them in. I also seems like the rocker arms won't move the way they did on the left side. 

Is it possible to the right rocker arm is over-tightened, or is there something I am missing on the right that is different from the left?

As always, thanks in advance.

Mark

Evening Mark

Did you rotate the crankshaft 1 complete turn after adjusting the L/H side?

With pistons at TDC (Top Dead Center) you adjust the loose side (other side will be tight like you are seeing).

Then rotate the crankshaft 1 complete turn until pistons again at TDC again, now the side that you just did will be tight & the remaining side will be loose (then you adjust those).

The side that you adjust MUST be at TDC compression.

about the rotate ---tdc---wow just think if you were to think that U got it wright and started the bike --but is good that some one here can help U ---enjoy your bike sir