IGNORED

R1100R windshield question

Don Melvin

I just sold my 04 R1150RT and I'm thinking seriously about buying a 1998 R1100R special addition.  I know I won't be able to duplicate the kind of wind protection I enjoyed on the RT but I'm hoping there is a windshield out there for the 1100R that will do a decent job without compromising the bikes looks too much.  Any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

It's expensive but back when the bike was new , several customers tried a couple different ones and ended up back at the factory screen. 

Seems avail if your bike meets the born on date. Probably in Germany so a couple three weeks. 

IMG_3640.PNG

For the R1100R you really need to measure so you get the right fit for you.  On some of the windscreen sites there are instructions for determining the right height if you are going to order a custom fit window that you don't have to do anything too.  

I have the OEM accessory sheild that Tri750 shows above. I get helmet buffering and have added a Laminar Lip. Compared to touring bikes it could be wider and taller for more protection.

Its all ok, but at that pricing level I would suggest looking elsewhere. I think I heard Chris Harris' piggy oinking at $700+. The mounting bracketry isn't a conventional handlebar mounting. That will be hard to find aftermarket.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, R1100Ron said:

I have an AeroFlow clear fairing for my 1999 R1100R SE that I don't use anymore if your're interested.

Do you have any pictures of the bike with the fairing on it? 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, Don Melvin said:

I just sold my 04 R1150RT and I'm thinking seriously about buying a 1998 R1100R special addition.  I know I won't be able to duplicate the kind of wind protection I enjoyed on the RT but I'm hoping there is a windshield out there for the 1100R that will do a decent job without compromising the bikes looks too much.  Any recommendations would be much appreciated. 

So I did end up getting the Bike and it came with a Cee Bailey windshield and the mounting brackets.  The windshield wasn't installed and most of the nuts, bolts, and grommets are missing.  I'm trying to figure out the mounting hardware and have made a couple unsuccessful attempts at tracking down a source for parts.  Any words of wisdom, pictures, old instructions on the Cee Bailey windscreen?  I had a Cee Bailey on my RT and loved it....it's a shame they decided to get out of the motorcycle market.  

Here you go Don.

If you're handy with metal and a welder you can do it. If you're like me you'll have $10k in hours into the finished product....so maybe $300 in parts isn't bad.

bmw sheild 3.jpg

bmw sheild 1.jpg

bmw sheild 2.jpg

• Like 1

I have had the same problem with my stock windshield as I was not the original owner and it is about 3" shorter than what would fit me.  I also installed a Laminar Lip it did improve it but still get a little buffeting.  Not much can be done with a windshield that is too short, except find another.  What I like about the RT's is the windshield is a moveable one and makes all the difference it the world.  I would be interested to here if anyone has modified their R model to an electric windshield.  

10 hours ago, dave_a said:

Here you go Don.

If you're handy with metal and a welder you can do it. If you're like me you'll have $10k in hours into the finished product....so maybe $300 in parts isn't bad.

bmw sheild 3.jpg

bmw sheild 1.jpg

bmw sheild 2.jpg

Dave, thank you very much for the pictures....I wasn't even close to locating those attachment points.  Could I prevail on you to take a couple front view pics of the top and bottom grommets that go through the windshield?  There are two grommets that look like these pressed into the holes at the bottom of my windshield.  I think all I need to complete the bottom connection are a couple of bolts and washers.   There are no grommets in the upper holes but there are two grommets attached to the upper metal bracket that look like these but with only one flange.....I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to fabricate additional pieces to get a solid connection at the top.  Thanks for your help.

Don

image.png.d4ca6f20be8ddb6f62a49358b401855e.png

Don, I am not near the bike.

I can tell you that the bracket is a round metal tube that is bent to form. The shield end has a threaded round insert that accepts a 6mm screw. There is a grommet sized washer tacked to the tube to accept the shield at the correct depth (1/4" or so). The handle bar end is the tube flattened. There may be flat stock inserted for reinforcement. Then drilled to accept the fasteners. I am assuming the inserts are brazed in place. But I never really looked that close to be honest. 

I have grommets (like you have pictured) fitted in the shield, with washers outside held in place by the 6mm screws. Upper brackets have 2 bends to meet the shield. Bottom brackets have 4 bends.

4 hours ago, dave_a said:

Don, I am not near the bike.

I can tell you that the bracket is a round metal tube that is bent to form. The shield end has a threaded round insert that accepts a 6mm screw. There is a grommet sized washer tacked to the tube to accept the shield at the correct depth (1/4" or so). The handle bar end is the tube flattened. There may be flat stock inserted for reinforcement. Then drilled to accept the fasteners. I am assuming the inserts are brazed in place. But I never really looked that close to be honest. 

I have grommets (like you have pictured) fitted in the shield, with washers outside held in place by the 6mm screws. Upper brackets have 2 bends to meet the shield. Bottom brackets have 4 bends.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the information.  The brackets that came with the windshield fit your description and looks like they are going to line up just fine when I connect them to the attachment points you showed me.  It's the upper grommet system that has me a bit puzzled but I've got a couple of ideas that should work.

Thanks again for the help.

Don

All grommets go in the shield first. There should be rubber overlapping on the front and back of the shield, this is where it seats on the bracket (and fender washer).

Then slide the grommet onto the bracket. You may need to bend the brackets a bit to get the grommet holes to line up (on brackets #2-4.). Once the shield is on all brackets secure with a fender washer and screw.

Hey,  just wanted to thank everyone for the help with this windshield project.  I finally got it installed ...turned out one of the local hardware stores carried a nearly perfect match for the grommets.  The windshield is a keeper.  Cee Bailey did a fine job designing the shield.  I get a good view well over the top of the screen and a nice clean air flow around my head...just the tiniest bit of buffeting develops around 70mph but seems to be in a pretty narrow speed range.

The shield does have a fair amount of very shallow scratches.  Cee Bailey use to sell a fantastic polish for removing small scratches but that was better than 12 years ago and they have evidently discontinued it.  Anyone have any recommendations for removing scratches?

Thanks again folks. 

5 hours ago, Don Melvin said:

Hey,  just wanted to thank everyone for the help with this windshield project.  I finally got it installed ...turned out one of the local hardware stores carried a nearly perfect match for the grommets.  The windshield is a keeper.  Cee Bailey did a fine job designing the shield.  I get a good view well over the top of the screen and a nice clean air flow around my head...just the tiniest bit of buffeting develops around 70mph but seems to be in a pretty narrow speed range.

The shield does have a fair amount of very shallow scratches.  Cee Bailey use to sell a fantastic polish for removing small scratches but that was better than 12 years ago and they have evidently discontinued it.  Anyone have any recommendations for removing scratches?

Thanks again folks. 

Morning Don

Before using any polishing compound do some research on (IF) your windshield is hard coated. Most are, if you polish on a coated windshield (especially hard or long enough to remove scratches)  you can start removing the coating in spots.

This pretty well ruins the windshield.