IGNORED

Running Rich

No_Twilight

No_Twilight

My 95 R1100RS seems to be running rich. I even got a little pop of a backfire letting off the gas today. It also warms up and starts idling about 3500 with the fast idle engaged in just a few seconds now. It used to take about a minute. I'm thinking this is because it's running real rich.

It needs a normal tuneup and I'll get that done next week. Perhaps that's all that's wrong. But I thought I'd ask you guys out there with more motronic knowledge that I have what inputs might make it run rich?

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry,

Now that both bikes are in the same place, sounds like your 1100 might have caught the same ailment from the 850! Did your 1100 get all of its vaccinations from the dealer? Maybe the 850 should be quarantined out in your shed!

Derek

Sounds like a vacuum leak and the need for TB sync along with idle air bleed adjustment......in other words, the whole induction systems needs attention.

I would start with a new air filter, remove and clean the TBs (carb spray works fine). After inspecting all the O-rings and replacing those that may be suspect, reassemble the TBs onto the air intake stubs with some grease to seal the O-rings properly.

Then a careful valve lash adjustment and finally, the TB sync should be carried out.

Now, all these comments assume you have not moved or changed the TPS sensor. If so, you need further advice.

Advise.

No_Twilight

Dennis,

It is indeed time for the normal maintenance which includes the TB adjustment and sync. However, I was thinking it wasn't likely a vacuum leak since that would not cause it to run richer, but leaner because the motronic "measures" mass flow by TPS (which hasn't been fiddled with). I recently replaced the intake manifolds because they were checkered and inspected all the o-rings and cleaned the TBs. That was probably 12k miles ago.

I'll do all the maintenance early next week. I think first I'll check the motronic for fault codes.

Cheers,

Jerry

No_Twilight
Jerry,

Now that both bikes are in the same place, sounds like your 1100 might have caught the same ailment from the 850! Did your 1100 get all of its vaccinations from the dealer? Maybe the 850 should be quarantined out in your shed!

Derek

The 1100 is indeed right beside the 850 but these symptoms started coming on earlier...of course the infection could have occurred in the parking lot at work. I try to park near BMWs because the Harley's sometimes spray oil on German bikes...

My bike isn't allowed to go to the dealer except to get parts and it has to stay outside...so it hasn't had it's shots. I might give it a shot of tequilla this weekend...I've heard that helps clean out the pipes!!!

But truthfully, we think we know why the 850 is running rich, the cat code plug is pulled. One think I'm planning to do is look under the seat and see if I have a cat code plug on the 1100. The PO was very performance minded...

-Jerry

Archived