IGNORED

Group riding aware cruise control

fourteenfour

I'm not sure this will sell unless it also has a special disconnect to allow throttle blipping to create exhaust noise while riding.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
Joe Frickin' Friday

I'm reminded of the 1982 Thunderbirds Indian Springs Diamond Crash:

The 1982 Diamond Crash was the worst operational accident to befall the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds Air Demonstration Team involving show aircraft.[1] Four Northrop T-38 Talon jets crashed during operational training on 18 January 1982, killing all four pilots.

...the crash was due to a jammed stabilizer on the lead jet. The other pilots, in accordance with their training, did not break formation.

Aerobatic demonstration teams, when flying in formation, operate by having one pilot lead the formation while the others position themselves relative to that aircraft, mostly ignoring other cues, up to and including terrain that may be approaching more rapidly than it should be. 

• Sad 1

I hope it helps.  Years ago when I took a safety course at motomark1.com, the instructor, Mark Brown, had us all ride together in formation to lunch.  It was one of the best experiences I have had. Before we started he laid down the ground rules.  Always ride staggered and in positions 1 and 3.  That is unless the leader points out a road hazard (with his foot which is followed down the line) and holds up a single finger.  This shows where the hazard is to the next guy who also points it out with his foot.  All riders see the single finger or at least the guy ahead and get into a single line so all miss the hazard.  When the leader holds up two fingers you get back into staggered formation.  He also had a command for changing leaders to the next in line but I forgot what that was. 

Mark retired from the state police where he taught driver safety for bikes and cars. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

I'm not sure this will sell unless it also has a special disconnect to allow throttle blipping to create exhaust noise while riding.

Haha = Maybe  it would be a big winner if the system recognized when the group passed under a bridge and linked all bikes to do a group blip!

The motor company could create a new profit stream with an upgrade program to the group ride system.   One that comes to mind would use GPS maps to do linked group blipping as they passed favorite HOG identified watering holes!

• Haha 1

I love the adaptive cruise control on my car. I also hate riding in groups, especially "in formation". I would hope they make "formation mode" selectable and not the only possible mode. Then I hope (1) BMW jumps on this ship, and (2) makes a retrofit kit for a 2016 GSA. Hahahaha!

Dennis Andress

My truck has adaptive cruise control. Best thing since pockets on shirts. It gets a little spastic when following a motorcycle in the rain though, and there have been reports of it freaking out and apply the brakes when passing a big semis.

1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

My truck has adaptive cruise control. Best thing since pockets on shirts. It gets a little spastic when following a motorcycle in the rain though, and there have been reports of it freaking out and apply the brakes when passing a big semis.

I drove a rental with it and couldn't stand it.  I'm used to setting the cruise and moving through traffic, and every time I'd get close enough to make a pass, the darned car would slow down on its own.  If the freeway was at all crowded, it was impossible to maintain any sort of speed or get anywhere.  If I ever own a car with it, I'll be finding a way to disable it.

Upon reflection, it occurred to me that most of these 'safety' features are really designed to keep people from killing themselves and others while they look at their phones, not really to help with driving. 

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
59 minutes ago, Antimatter said:

I drove a rental with it and couldn't stand it.  I'm used to setting the cruise and moving through traffic, and every time I'd get close enough to make a pass, the darned car would slow down on its own.  If the freeway was at all crowded, it was impossible to maintain any sort of speed or get anywhere.  If I ever own a car with it, I'll be finding a way to disable it.

Upon reflection, it occurred to me that most of these 'safety' features are really designed to keep people from killing themselves and others while they look at their phones, not really to help with driving. 

There is too much enforcement locally to be able to move through traffic, but turning on a turn signal will accelerate the vehicle to pass. And, yes, manufactures are adding features to help the morbidly irresponsible.

21 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

There is too much enforcement locally to be able to move through traffic, but turning on a turn signal will accelerate the vehicle to pass. And, yes, manufactures are adding features to help the morbidly irresponsible.

In my case, adaptive cruise control=salty language generator.

• Haha 2
On 8/29/2019 at 9:52 AM, Antimatter said:

In my case, adaptive cruise control=salty language generator.

I had that experience in a rental car with "Lane Assist" set to "Maximum Irritation Mode"  on curvy back roads in the Ozarks.  It seems it was designed with drunks and texters in mind.  Once i figured out how to turn it off i started having some fun.

For my car getting to trust adaptive cruise control was more difficult than trusting it to steer. however once I got past that initial issue I found that for highway driving I just let the car drive; granted I keep myself ready to take over at short notice. It did fine on a trip that involved driving through Cincinnati in rush hour. However on a motorcycle at most I would expect is forward emergency braking because I really am loathe to let the bike accelerate without my input.

On 8/31/2019 at 9:14 PM, Ponch said:

I used to do group rides with HD riders. Very frustrating. 

Closest I ever came to a group riding was to go out with two or three friends of similar riding ability and style.  It seems that the typical understanding of a group ride would have numerous riders and the ride would be to keep the lowest skill riders in the group.  Doesn't sound like I would enjoy that.

On 9/2/2019 at 9:08 AM, Paul De said:

Closest I ever came to a group riding was to go out with two or three friends of similar riding ability and style.  It seems that the typical understanding of a group ride would have numerous riders and the ride would be to keep the lowest skill riders in the group.  Doesn't sound like I would enjoy that.

This was with 20+ at times. Nuts. if the poorly jetted engines didn't asphyxiate me, the constant accordioning because they couldn't maintain their speed would do me it. The differences in gearing and powerband had me constantly trying to find the right gear too.