IGNORED

Took a chance on Walmart.

MBrockman5

I took a chance on a Walmart listing for an Akrapovic Slip-on muffler for $50. I was wishing it was a misprint price, or maybe they forgot to add a zero somewhere. Turns out... Hopes are easy to get up and just as easy to fall back down. 

It doesn't show Akra anywhere. I didn't come with a mid pipe, but I might throw it on my bike for fun just to hear what it sounds like before I return it on Monday. 

Screenshot_20190811-113747_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190817-153028_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20190817-153025_Photos.jpg

• Like 1

Tried it out this morning and it was definitely way smaller than the stock can. About 1/4 the size. It sounded awesome. It was louder, but not at all obnoxious, and surprisingly sounded very nice for a $50 muffler. 

On the downside, it didn't come with a mid pipe. Though it wouldn't be hard to get one from an car exhaust shop or find a "universal" one...

With it's small side, I could've left it attached without one and it wouldn't really look out of place, but the foot peg bracket prevented any sort of attachment point for the mount. So, I will be returning it as expected...

I will admit, I did start the bike up when I removed the stock can to hear what that sounded like. Underneath the loud drone, the engine does have the potential to produce a much better sounding exhaust tone. 

In the end, I will just continue to save my money and buy a Remus (hopefully soon). Better to do it the "right way"...NOT "right away".

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

There are quite a few listings on eBay of these alternative exhaust mufflers. 

Some mufflers also come with end cap insert that reduce the noise level. 

Even listings with connector pipes that allow universal fitment with different diameter mid-pipes and O2 sensor mounts. 

Spray some high-temp coating yourself on the mid-pipe and you can easily shed your bike 10 lb. from OEM exhaust system. 

I'd pay $50. for that pooch, looks like a good one : ) I bought a can for my 12GS years ago at a dealer closeout for I think $35, made an exhaust hanger from muffler strap. It was a little loud for my taste so I just slipped it on for the yearly pilgrimage to bike week so I could at least hear my own bike.  :grin:

• Haha 1

Bill, she was $1,200 new eleven years ago. Let's see, $2,600 for a (final drive) hernia operation and her annual PMs, yup, she's on par with BMW ownership! :grin:

• Like 1

Complete system with headers from the cylinders are not likely. 

But if you want to ditch 10-16 lb. from OEM system, rid of the cat; it's a pretty cheap alternative to spending few hundred on name-brand slip-ons or cat-eliminator pipe with O2 sensor mount. 

Damn, that's tempting, although I strongly suspect that it's a Chinese look-alike Akropovic. Walmart has a bunch of these for sale from $35-$49. If it fits, I could be tempted to buy one of these just to take an estimated 10 pounds off my F700GS. I am selling a Grom today that came with essentially an open megaphone, and that little 125cc engine makes way more noise than I can tolerate. But, for less than $50, I could be tempted, and if I don't like it, put it up for sale.

It looks like the "DB killer" is the stock configuration, and without it, the thing would be really loud.

Universal Exhaust Muffler Pipe with DB Killer Silencer slip on 38-51mm for Motorcycle ATV Bike High Temperature Exhaust Pipes Image 3 of 4

The exhaust pipe for my F700GS measures just under 54 mm, plus the connector pipe from the OEM muffler is about 6" long, with a bend, so this isn't going to work for me.  

On 9/17/2019 at 10:46 AM, cat0020 said:

There are quite a few listings on eBay of these alternative exhaust mufflers. 

Some mufflers also come with end cap insert that reduce the noise level. 

Even listings with connector pipes that allow universal fitment with different diameter mid-pipes and O2 sensor mounts. 

Spray some high-temp coating yourself on the mid-pipe and you can easily shed your bike 10 lb. from OEM exhaust system. 

I just looked, and found this one for $80. It looks to be considerably longer than the Walmart one, and comes with a mid-pipe. My biggest concern is the durability of Chinese carbon fiber, but what the hell, I have $67 sitting in a PayPal account, doing nothing, so I'm going to give it a try. (I bought the last one available at this price, which netted out to $93.21 with $5 discount and $12.99 shipping.) To be continued....

image.thumb.png.b904cf4128ba6904c137e753fcaec139.png

• Like 1

Supposed to arrive by DHL Tuesday. Although eBay listed one as available when I ordered, apparently they had sold the last one in U.S. inventory. The seller contacted me soon after I placed my order, and explained, asking if it was OK if they shipped by DHL. So far, I'm positively impressed by seller's support.

I won't know until it arrives next week if it's worth the money, and won't know for some time after that if the carbon fiber can holds up (or is noisier than I can tolerate). Rather than screw things up before FART, I'll probably wait until after before attempting installation.