IGNORED

Engine red lines at start up!

AZrider

Hi everyone. Just installed some auxiliary lighting on '05 RT. Put everything back together; lights look great! Trigger wire is connected to a fuze block. Upon start up; the engine races to red line. I turn off ignition to avoid possible engine damage. I reattempted 3 times with same result. I turn on ignition and let system run its checks. Nothing out of ordinary (whizzy servo noise) and no CABUS errors. I recall reading something about throttle position sensor??     thanks 

fuze.jpg

1 hour ago, AZrider said:

Hi everyone. Just installed some auxiliary lighting on '05 RT. Put everything back together; lights look great! Trigger wire is connected to a fuze block. Upon start up; the engine races to red line. I turn off ignition to avoid possible engine damage. I reattempted 3 times with same result. I turn on ignition and let system run its checks. Nothing out of ordinary (whizzy servo noise) and no CABUS errors. I recall reading something about throttle position sensor??     thanks 

Afternoon  AZrider

It sounds at first read you have a either a throttle cable pulled out & tight or the cruise control cable pulled partially apart & too tight.

Your problem sounds way more like the throttle plates are being held open than any TPS issues.

We need more info on EXACTLY what you had apart or worked with to give more specific info. 

Thanks you two for the quick reply.

I did have the gas tank off so I could rout the wiring harness for the new lights. Hopefully a snagged cable is all I have to deal with. Time to take everything apart again. 

3 minutes ago, AZrider said:

Thanks you two for the quick reply.

I did have the gas tank off so I could rout the wiring harness for the new lights. Hopefully a snagged cable is all I have to deal with. Time to take everything apart again. 

Evening  AZrider

You might not have to remove the fuel tank.

You can check the short lower cables with the tank in place (follow the cables to the L/H side splitter box then make sure that they are fully plugged into the splitter box. (In fact make sure that all the cables are fully inserted into the splitter box)

The cruise control cable comes out from under the fuel tank & runs to the R/H front cruise control servo (those have a habit of pulling apart at the cable adjuster (about mid cable).  I think that you can just get to that in front of the fuel tank (way down in there though).

OK.  I took off r. side plastic (looking from front).

1. Throttle cables appear all intact and connected. (Although I cannot see the middle portion of it).  I can feel play when I pull on it and from what I can glean; they appear to not be hung up anywhere. 

2. Throttle appears to rotate thru all range of motion with no hang ups (and returns to original position when released).

3. I turned cruise control to OFF position, but with same results.

4. Attached pic. where red arrows point: everything feels snug with no play where it connects. (I believe this to be the "splitter box"?).  Or is this the cruise control servo??

Thanks again

3.jpg

7 hours ago, AZrider said:

OK.  I took off r. side plastic (looking from front).

1. Throttle cables appear all intact and connected. (Although I cannot see the middle portion of it).  I can feel play when I pull on it and from what I can glean; they appear to not be hung up anywhere. 

2. Throttle appears to rotate thru all range of motion with no hang ups (and returns to original position when released).

3. I turned cruise control to OFF position, but with same results.

4. Attached pic. where red arrows point: everything feels snug with no play where it connects. (I believe this to be the "splitter box"?).  Or is this the cruise control servo??

Thanks again

Morning AZrider

OK that sort of clears the main cables but not the cruise control cable.

This is somewhat difficult  to verify but you need to verify that both side throttle body pulley arms are SOLIDLY contacting their stop screws. (you can carefully slide the cable covers up the cables at the throttle bodies)

If they ARE on the stop screws then look for an air leak at one of the throttle body front boots (between throttle body & the cylinder head)

If they are NOT on the stop screws then check the cruise control cable at the mid cable adjuster (adjuster might be pulled slightly apart)

DirtRider. You're the man. Cruise control cable was separated from the servo by about 1/2". I pushed the cable back in the servo and that was it. This time I waited to put all the Tupperware back on AFTER I was able to start the engine.  Normal idle now.   Time for a test run.  

Thanks for your assistance on this.       :18: 

Well. I spoke too soon. Took it for a test run and now have a rough idle (1200rpm +/_ 50).  I believe this to be my  normal rpm level (just appears to be missing a tad). Its not shaky like an HD, but not as smooth as before.

1. throttle cable adjustment?

2. stop screws DirtRider mentioned??    

Thanks Again

7 hours ago, AZrider said:

Well. I spoke too soon. Took it for a test run and now have a rough idle (1200rpm +/_ 50).  I believe this to be my  normal rpm level (just appears to be missing a tad). Its not shaky like an HD, but not as smooth as before.

1. throttle cable adjustment?

2. stop screws DirtRider mentioned??    

Thanks Again

Morning AZrider

Never try to adjust the stop screws as those are factory set & should never be moved.

As long as your throttle body arms are resting on the idle stop screws then there isn't a problem with the cable  adjustments (well nothing above in how it used to be before your rough idle anyhow).

You might try riding it for a while as it might need to re-learn the fuel adaptives.

If you had the battery disconnected did you do a new TPS re-learn at re-connection & first key-on? If not then start with a new TPS relearn.  

Once again DirtRider; your wisdom of the Boxer engine is above reproach!! I truly appreciate your quick/accurate feedback. I have followed many other threads in this forum and your maintenance insight and guidance for the common rider is invaluable. I do Lurk a lot in this forum and have followed your sage advise. I do appreciate the input of others on this site as well. That's what makes this a special forum to be in.  Thank you all.    :yes: