IGNORED

Michelin Road 5

Bumwah

Has anyone purchased and used a Michelin Road 5 tire yet?

I have found with each new tire, that I've had from Michelin, the engineering is a little more advanced and the tire is noticeably improved.

The previous incarnation, the 4 GT Road, out performed every tire I've used and was comfortable at high speed in the rain.

So... blindly I purchased the NEW Michelin and we'll see. Sounds like a commercial but, just tryin' to do my part to have more information

for the Oilhead family... 

Just ordered up new tires for my 97 R1100RT.  Due to wheel sizes I could only get a Road 5 for the front and had to settle for another Pilot Road 3 for the rear. When I purchased this bike a few years ago I replaced the  OEM metzlers with PR 3s.  Loved the PR 3s but after my trip to James Bay they were done ! [30k+  Km]. As a new member here I too will try to add to the collective wisdom.  

If someone knows of rear wheel swaps that would put a 17" on the rear of this oilhead I could go for a Road 5 !

NOW... In 2 weeks I have encountered, Fog, wet conditions on winding roads, dry coastal roads, twisties, and freeways...

This tire is as good and probably better than its previous incarnations. Ecstatic over the purchase and the results. What a lovely surprise...

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello bill97. I tried to purchase the Michelin 5's for my p03

RT but they only make the front tire in my size.  I have been a big fan of the PR series but because of some ordering foul ups was force to get the Metzler 01s in which I have been pleasantly surprised . Only had them in 1 rain ride and didnt really push too hard so cant really make an accurate comparison. You said you have the 5 front and a 3 rear ? Wouldn't the 4s have fit your rear ? Keep us posted on how you like them. 

I needed a tire recently and this sparked my usual OCD-fueled quest to find the best tire. The path is a familiar one: I want the best, but I also look at price. 

The dealer wanted to sell me Pilot 5's. $175 for just the front tire itself!!  He said that's all they sell (Michelins) and if I wanted a cheaper option, he'd sell me an old Pilot 2 he had in the back for $120. This triggered a 'hype' alert in my brain and sparked more research.  You see, I've already jumped ship from Michelins on my car a few years earlier and been very happy since (Michelins are too noisy and rough on my car, and expensive).  

Long story short, I found a tire that I believe compares with the Pilot, and is half the price : The Shinko 016 dual compound sport touring tire. I had ridden on Shinkos before on a cruiser and like the way they handled, but the 016 model is a step up from that tire. Based on reviews and my research, it's only fault seems to be it's name is Shinko and not Michelin. We'll see. I'll report back on tread life and traction.

9 hours ago, joeb said:

Hello bill97. I tried to purchase the Michelin 5's for my p03

RT but they only make the front tire in my size.  I have been a big fan of the PR series but because of some ordering foul ups was force to get the Metzler 01s in which I have been pleasantly surprised . Only had them in 1 rain ride and didnt really push too hard so cant really make an accurate comparison. You said you have the 5 front and a 3 rear ? Wouldn't the 4s have fit your rear ? Keep us posted on how you like them. 

Just finished a SS1000 of Lake Huron on my new tires and have no complaints !  Dealt with rain, ground up ashalt [grooved for resurfacing] and some steel bridge surface with good feel and confidence.  the PR 4 has a lower load rating than the PR3 and is not recommended for my use type.... 

On 8/17/2019 at 9:41 AM, Bill97 said:

Just ordered up new tires for my 97 R1100RT.  Due to wheel sizes I could only get a Road 5 for the front and had to settle for another Pilot Road 3 for the rear. When I purchased this bike a few years ago I replaced the  OEM metzlers with PR 3s.  Loved the PR 3s but after my trip to James Bay they were done ! [30k+  Km]. As a new member here I too will try to add to the collective wisdom.  

If someone knows of rear wheel swaps that would put a 17" on the rear of this oilhead I could go for a Road 5 !

Bill:

I used to have a 97 RT, I bought a 17” rear wheel for an early LT, with the lug bolts for the LT.   That made my tire choices a whole new world!    I’ll bet you can get a wheel from someone parting out an LT.   Check the BMWLT forum.