IGNORED

gas tank reserve

basilr

First off, could someone let me know the difference between "title" and "tag". It's been quite a while since I've been on here and this layout is new to me.

I am curious about my fuel reserve in my 05 RT. I just finished a 3300km trip and a few times, fueled up after my yellow warning light came on. Usually it showed me with about 75kms to empty. When I filled up, I always maxed out with the automatic pump shutoff at about 21 litres. I never tried to get more gas in. My dash displayed average consumption showed 4.6l/100kms.

If my math is correct, I should have been able to go 130kms to empty, which I would never do anyway. I'm just wondering if anyone else has wondered about this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi basilr,

I have a 2005 RT as well.  I can assure you that the RT has NO RESERVE whatsoever.  I ran out of fuel once and had to buy some lawnmower gas from a farmer in order to get to the nearest gas station ( my fuel strip was in the process of dying and was unreliable).  If you do run out of fuel you can lean the bike WAY OVER to the left side and this will empty a tiny amount of fuel from what is trapped on the right side of the plastic tank and it will run over the frame hump to the left side of the tank where the fuel pump pickup is located.  This manouever  allowed me to travel a few miles to the nearest farmer.

Neil W

05 RT here too. My experimenting with reserve taught me not to trust the gauge. Mine is still original strip, it works fine, but it's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Because of that I do what I did with all my other bikes, use the trip meter to estimate the next fuel stop. It seems that the average fuel consumption readout is based on fuel metered through the injectors, but it is calculated from the last reset, so it could be many tanks of petrol if you don't remember to reset it when you fill the tank.

What I found was that when the distance to empty was 0 (for a little while) and all the segments of the fuel gauge were gone, I managed to squeeze 23.4 litres in at the most. That leaves 3.6 litres left. I have yet to ride it with a jerry can, so did not want to run it dry to see what the full capacity of the tank really is.

I have done the fuel filler mod (holes drilled in the neck to be able to brim the tank), so my tank should hold a litre or two more than standard.

My ‘09 ran out of gas 100 yards from the exit I was going to take to fill up. My distance to empty showed 47 miles left. Never again.