IGNORED

Stolen stats

GelStra

Does anyone have any stats on how big a theft risk BMW's represent? I have the factory alarm but know from car experience that they don't stop the pros. Contemplating Lojack for bikes. I can get it at dealer price but still curious if I should bother.

Paul

I did a quick search and onlt found numbers relating to the UK.

My experience has been that most bikes are stolen for parts, which makes bikes that are popular on the track high theft risks. The fact that race bikes are not usually required to be titled makes this an easy area to get rid of stolen parts. The other big market is the HD crowd, where many bikes are a combination of parts to begin with.

Although this is a generalization, BMW owners are usually not the types to buy replacement parts out of the back of a van.

My advice, don't worry about it. I leave the GS any old place here in Daytona during bike week/Biketoberfest. It is universally ignored.

Or, as my HD riding brother said when he saw me locking the forks. "People don't steal BMW's"

pete

My experience has been that most bikes are stolen for parts, which makes bikes that are popular on the track high theft risks.

My advice, don't worry about it.

Or, as my HD riding brother said when he saw me locking the forks. "People don't steal BMW's"

My dealer (motorcycle dealer) said basically the same thing... Demand for stolen BMWs is very low, hence it is the "other" bikes that get stolen.

I might put my disk lock on every once in a while, but even that is not going to do much more than discourage 12-year olds...

Generally I don't worry about it (that's what insurance is for).

Eric

Vehicles are stolen for one of three reasons.

1. Joy riding.

2. To be stripped down and their parts sold on the black market

3. To order.

-------

1. BMW's don't have a high-performance reputation, at least not like CBR's, Ninjas and Gixxers do. So being stolen for a joy ride is highly unlikely.

2. There is very little black market demand for BMW parts.

3. Something stolen to order is likely going to a foreign country and its theft is probably requested through a professional, in which case if your bike is targeted there's not a whole lot you can do beyond welding it to a flagpole.

The biggest thing RT/LT owners face is vandalizm. All that pretty plastic. Getting keyed or having the bike tipped over to see the damage is about as bad as it gets. And even that's rare.

I don't worry about it. I insure it. I throw a lock on it when at a motel just to discourage the rare idiot who doesn't need a reason. I take my electronic accessories (most of which are in my tankbag) in with me at night. And I sleep well.

I am told that the new generation of BMW's with chipped keys are impossible to hot wire which makes joy riding even less likely. Although if they don't know that they might do serious damage to the wiring harness trying ot hot wire it.

Of course there is little that you can do, other than insurance, to stop the guys who drive around with a van that says "Motorcycle Service" on the side. A friend of mine had his stolen out of his driveway in just this way.

Vehicles are stolen for one of three reasons.

1. Joy riding.

Aluminum_Butt

Here are some statistics: Here and Here

From the CCCIS article:

"Also, BMW motorcycles accounted for less than one percent of theft; similarly, R.L. Polk’s data shows that BMW motorcycles account for less than two percent of registered bikes on the road. “The bikes that are most popular with consumers tend to be very popular with thieves,” Prigge added."

You folks are great! You just saved me money.......that's probably going to end with Fernando, anyways. Save it here, justify it there! crazy.gif

I'm sorry, but the idea of stealing a GS to joyride had me on the floor! grin.gif "Yeah, that's right. I'm bad!" wave.gif

Archived