Sign in to follow this  
Michaelr11

System Case Hooks Repair

Michaelr11

A deer ripped off my right system case Sunday (R1100RT) breaking off the two hooks at the top where the bag attaches to the bike and hangs from.  I thought I saw a repair of these hooks with photos (or video) recently.  Can anyone point to a successful repair of these hooks? 

BrokenBag.png

elkroeger

If it was mine, I'd say that the proper repair would be to throw it out and buy a used unit (ebay, beemer boneyard, etc.).

elkroeger

Actually, what you should do, instead of throwing it away, is to put the broken unit on ebay.  Somebody out there needs a latch part.

• Thanks 1

Skywagon

Michael...I don't remember the repair post...sorry...Just looking at it, I wonder if you could tap the broken part, and come from the top with a couple of screws filled with epoxy.  Hard to tell from the picture.  If the plastic is too messed up to drill, tap, screw, then perhaps you could fabricate a piece (the tab) from metal or wood and tap/resin in.

Michaelr11
5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Michael...I don't remember the repair post...sorry...Just looking at it, I wonder if you could tap the broken part, and come from the top with a couple of screws filled with epoxy.  Hard to tell from the picture.  If the plastic is too messed up to drill, tap, screw, then perhaps you could fabricate a piece (the tab) from metal or wood and tap/resin in.

Absent anyone's previous repair photos or video, I plan to cut and shape some kind of substitute hook and screw it into place along with epoxy. This part of the repair is on the back of my repair list.  First is to strip the bike down and investigate the no-start issue.  Please - no comments about that in this thread - if I can't find the issue I'll start a new thread for that. The other repair is replace the headlight assembly which was completely exploded by the impact.  Amazingly, the H4 bulb is still intact and lights up. I had an Aeroflow HLC plastic rock protector on top of the glass, The HLC was found on the grass scratched a little but intact. The glass front of the headlight just shattered into little bits.

RTinNC