IGNORED

System Case Hooks Repair

Michaelr11

A deer ripped off my right system case Sunday (R1100RT) breaking off the two hooks at the top where the bag attaches to the bike and hangs from.  I thought I saw a repair of these hooks with photos (or video) recently.  Can anyone point to a successful repair of these hooks? 

BrokenBag.png

If it was mine, I'd say that the proper repair would be to throw it out and buy a used unit (ebay, beemer boneyard, etc.).

Actually, what you should do, instead of throwing it away, is to put the broken unit on ebay.  Somebody out there needs a latch part.

• Thanks 1

Michael...I don't remember the repair post...sorry...Just looking at it, I wonder if you could tap the broken part, and come from the top with a couple of screws filled with epoxy.  Hard to tell from the picture.  If the plastic is too messed up to drill, tap, screw, then perhaps you could fabricate a piece (the tab) from metal or wood and tap/resin in.

5 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Michael...I don't remember the repair post...sorry...Just looking at it, I wonder if you could tap the broken part, and come from the top with a couple of screws filled with epoxy.  Hard to tell from the picture.  If the plastic is too messed up to drill, tap, screw, then perhaps you could fabricate a piece (the tab) from metal or wood and tap/resin in.

Absent anyone's previous repair photos or video, I plan to cut and shape some kind of substitute hook and screw it into place along with epoxy. This part of the repair is on the back of my repair list.  First is to strip the bike down and investigate the no-start issue.  Please - no comments about that in this thread - if I can't find the issue I'll start a new thread for that. The other repair is replace the headlight assembly which was completely exploded by the impact.  Amazingly, the H4 bulb is still intact and lights up. I had an Aeroflow HLC plastic rock protector on top of the glass, The HLC was found on the grass scratched a little but intact. The glass front of the headlight just shattered into little bits.

Michael,

I have a RH side case that came with a '99 RT several years back.  The hardware has all been removed but yours could be used.  The plastic case and lid look OK under the dust, I think.  If you are interested send me a PM and I'll dig it out of the basement and send some pics.

FWIW, I sold commercial epoxies for years but would not waste time trying to make something stick to the case material.  It will ALWAYS be a "patch" and NEVER have the same strength as the original.  You don't want to get where you're going and find the case missing.  Or just worrying about it all the time.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The bike is almost completely repaired now.  Waiting for a new mirror glass to arrive.  I repaired the front headlight cowling and painted the side panel, cowling and the right mirror.  After three deer collisions - on this bike - this bike is a driver, not a show bike.

I crafted new attachment hooks today. Standard 1.5 x 1.5 inch corner brackets which I added one additional bend to enter the railing.  It took a bunch of experimenting and a few tossed in the trash.  I used a dremel cutting tool to remove some of the plastic at the back of the bag so that the new bracket would fit "into" the bag and not be positioned above it. This was so that the position of the latching mechanism would remain close to where it originally was. The bag fits somewhat tightly and I cut away a slight bit of the railing material to get the latch to fit more smoothly,. There is one machine screw going from the back of the bracket through the bag with a washer and lock nut on the inside. After they were positioned, the brackets were loosened, and JB Weld Plastic Bonder epoxy was applied to the area between the back of the bag and the back of the bracket. Then the brackets were tightened. Test ride tomorrow, but this seems very secure. I don't carry much in the right bag and I'll keep a wire strap on the attachment points for a while just to provide a safety measure in case the brackets fail.

RT_Bag_Repair.JPG

• Like 1
10 hours ago, elkroeger said:

pair of bags over in the classifieds section:

Elkroeger,

I offered him a VGC inner case  half or the inner and outer halves - no hardware, but  I guess he'd rather just fix it himself.  Looks like a very innovative job he did.  I wonder if it will rust.  I hope not.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Way to work through the problem.  Looks like a good ingenious repair.  How is it working?  

I found this post while searching for a case, as I need a multi-purpose box - the latching mechanism.  

I came up empty on the search, fo I posted a WTB for the multi-purpose box.  Would you know of a case that is available?

11 hours ago, BigtowH8 said:

Way to work through the problem.  Looks like a good ingenious repair.  How is it working?  

I found this post while searching for a case, as I need a multi-purpose box - the latching mechanism.  

I came up empty on the search, fo I posted a WTB for the multi-purpose box.  Would you know of a case that is available?

Ha, a blast from the past.  Yes, that repair to my side bag is still working perfectly. It hasn’t required any additional attention. 

I got a notification from Beemer Boneyard a few days ago about an available side bag part. I didn’t need it, and might already be taken.