IGNORED

AMA Roadside Assist Surprise

Michaelr11

A couple of nasty surprises this morning. I hit a deer, and then couldn’t get a tow from my AMA roadside account.

I rode through the collision with some damages to the RT - more on this in a different post later. But the motor stopped running and wouldn’t restart. Otherwise the bike was rolling and I would have ridden home if it started.

But, when I called AMA for roadside assistance I was told that since the assistance was needed due to a collision with an animal, they couldn’t provide assistance. No tow, not even if I was willing to pay for it. A supervisor reluctantly gave me a number for a tow service to call myself, but it turned out that they didn’t have any flatbed vehicles. It took me three referrals to get an operation that did motorcycle flatbed service.

Does AAA or MOA towing service have a similar restriction regarding assistance due to animal encounters?

Ya got to lOvE insurance...  they always got your back when ya need them... 

I'm glad to read you're OK and you didn't suffer injuries from accident! :thumbsup:

I don't know the answer to your question.  I went to the AMA site and read their limitations.  It doesn't list per se exclusions but says it is for maintenance.  I'm not sure most folks wouldn't catch that.  I wouldn't have.  

Service Limitations

AMA Roadside Assistance is your safety net for mechanical breakdowns with your household’s motorcycles and other vehicles.

I couldn't find limitations on AAA website, but did find some info on MOA.  It's not crystal clear and general speaks of maintenance, but it also has some coverage info about collisions.  Take a read...I would call both to verify coverage.

https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/roadside

I have Allstate and fortunately haven't had to test it.  I think I'll ask the agent now in writing.

You should look at your insurance...it is likely you have towing for an accident with your insurance.

Glad you are ok...

glad you're ok.  I wonder if you could have omitted the accident, and just said the bike had mysteriously stopped running.

But at any rate, I think most of your roadside assistance programs (like AAA) are for mechanical issues, and you have to use your collision insurance for actual accident problems.  We have add-on towing on our car insurance (about $10/yr).  I don't think they will cover any towing without that add-on.  But I am pretty sure it's towing for any reason.  I guess I'll have to review my policy.

It really falls into two issues - paying for a tow, and getting a tow.  I have tow coverage on my insurance policy, the bill wasn't enormous and I might just not make a claim.  But, it really burned me up when AMA Roadside Assist wouldn't even arrange for dispatching a tow, when I offered to pay.  Left me stranded on the road to make calls for myself. Fortunately each of the people I called were willing to provide a number of a different tow service that they thought would have the right equipment. I now have the number of the operator that came in my phone.

AAA Regions vary.  Check with the local AAA office to verify what motorcycle coverage they offer and how it works.  Reimbursement or call for tow.

We have BMW, AAA and Allstate Motor Club tow plans.  Each one works differently.  We have used all three on the same incident to get the bike to a dealer and home.  AAA PlusRV coverage is typically required in order to get motorcycle coverage with AAA.

Both AAA and Allstate have no concern as to why you need a tow.  Only that you do need a tow. 

Allstate will tow you to the nearest authorized repair facility, regardless of distance.  Their system will find the nearest dealer, and that's where they will tow you.  However, should that dealer be closed, such as many shops on Sunday and Monday, they will tow you home at your request.

AAA PlusRV, if they handle motorcycles in your region on a call and tow basis, will tow you 100 miles anywhere you want.  They have limits on how many tows a year before you start paying a fee.  They also will not tow you from the same place they towed you to.  Like getting towed to a shop, then the shop can't repair it and you need it towed to a different shop.  There are creative methods to get around that, but it really helps in that situation to have a second tow service on hand.

Another restriction I am aware of with AAA.  If you are not on a paved road, they may refuse to send out a tow truck for covered service.  I say may, because I've had a case where the un-paved road was in the middle of a paved section of county road, so they considered the whole road to be that paved county road.  Another claim on a logging road, had I been 100 yards farther down the road when the deer jumped out in front of me, I'd have been walking or calling a friend to come get me.  I was still on pavement, so they sent the truck out.

On a bike claim with Allstate, I lost the front wheel bearings on Wolf Creek Pass in CO.  I managed to limp the bike down the pass to Pagosa Springs and get a hotel.  I searched that night online and in the local phone book for any dealer, no go.  I called Allstate in the morning and they took my info, clarified my situation and then told me there was a dealer 1.1 miles away from me and they could send a tow truck to get the bike there.   Well heck, I can ride it that far!  Turned out to be a mostly power sports dealer, but they did work on motorcycles.  They overnighted the parts and did a great job on the repair the next day.  Allstate reimbursed me for the hotel room and meals after I got home and sent them copies of the receipts.  (By co-incidence, I'm in Silverton, CO as I type this and headed thru Pagosa Springs tomorrow.  LOL )

I don't have AMA MoTow at this time, so no comment on that service.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Two years ago I needed a tow for a breakdown, or just quit running.

AMA told me they had a 35 mile limit.

I didn't have AAA for mc at that time but they referred me to their tow company in that area.

I got the tow, 100 miles, but it cost me $800.00.  100 miles was the closest dealer, in the next state (Nevada).  The one in California was 135 miles.

I turned it into my insurance company Geico and they ended up reimbursing me for it ($800) .  At first they gave me all kinds of excuses as to why they weren't going to pay it.  But when the check came it was ... $800.

dc