IGNORED

Engine not as smooth as it was

hefy_jefy

The bike is 2014 R1200RTW owned it from new, done all my own servicing and its now covered 72,000 miles.  Just got back from an 8,000 mile round trip to Alaska.
I am noticing that the engine "hunts" a bit these days, for example if you try and set the RPM to 2,000 the engine will hunt up and down, its impossible to set the throttle to get exactly 2,000 rpm.  Its not really noticeable on the road although if you set the cruise to say 30mph you get the same feeling.  I wondered about the crappy fuel in BC and Alaska, often only 97 was available so I have put some Chevron Techtron in the tank, but I am not hopeful this will make any difference.  Plugs have done 8,000 miles and the valve clearances were spot on just before the Alaska run.  Any thoughts on what to look at?  - I have a GS911. 

You can use the GS-911 to reset your fuel tables, and throttle butterfly's.  

It may be fuel related so you can look at your plugs one may be fouled or worn early. 

I LOVE Techron!

I use a very concentrated techron sold by Yamaha called Ring Free.  1/2 OZ treats 5 gallons.  I mix it in appropriate amounts with StarTron  in a Sta-Bil measuring bottle and use just about every fill up.  It is for carbon mostly so if you suspect water there may be a better product like HEET?

Like I say I would look at the plugs and then use the GS-911 and reset fuel tables and butterfly's and keep diluting the gas even if it was a gallon or two at a time.

10 hours ago, hefy_jefy said:

The bike is 2014 R1200RTW owned it from new, done all my own servicing and its now covered 72,000 miles.  Just got back from an 8,000 mile round trip to Alaska.
I am noticing that the engine "hunts" a bit these days, for example if you try and set the RPM to 2,000 the engine will hunt up and down, its impossible to set the throttle to get exactly 2,000 rpm.  Its not really noticeable on the road although if you set the cruise to say 30mph you get the same feeling.  I wondered about the crappy fuel in BC and Alaska, often only 97 was available so I have put some Chevron Techtron in the tank, but I am not hopeful this will make any difference.  Plugs have done 8,000 miles and the valve clearances were spot on just before the Alaska run.  Any thoughts on what to look at?  - I have a GS911. 

Morning hefy_jefy

As LAF mentioned spark plugs would be a good place to start (see if eroded or covered in buildup) this might indicate something. (or just replace them after inspection)

If you rode in dusty conditions then you might check/replace your air filter. After my last Alaska trip (lots or road repair & road dust) my air filter was just about completely plugged.

I am gonna go on a limb here cause I experienced something similar with my 2018 RT:

Once after filling up, my bike started running super smooth. Immediately I started analyzing for possible reasons.

I must tell ya I used to drive fuel tankers (those that bring gas to a gas station) and quite often, convenient store owners would order more regular gas than they needed and typically requested that the driver put the regular left over in the premium. Other times the gasoline was brown one day, pink the  other.

Therefore, I guessed that it could be a case that I finally got a good batch of 89 octane (the recommended for this bike). I keep filling at the same station the same octane and the bike kept running smooth until the third fill-up. Then I used a Lucas fuel injector cleaner and got the same smooth feeling on the engine.

Then, just for the experiment of it, I decided to use 92 premium octane and that also appeared to promote smooth engine running. 

you 'rough-weird' engine could possibly be caused by dirty-fuel. I would run an injector cleaner dose, which would be the cheapest thing to test.

BTW, When I bought a 2016 RT at BMW of Western OR (my bike before this 2018) the salesman gave me a BMW injector cleaner bottle and told me that BMW recommends you run a dose of this treatment every few tank-full of gas. For the record, I have never been able to get another Beemer shop person to confirm this, but the sales guy who told me this knows a lot about these bike. He ain't no rookie.

I use Lucas because the Beemer injector cleaner is ridiculously more expensive...

Unless you're in 1st gear, why would you want to set your RPM as low as 2000?  These engines like revs, and much under 4K is lugging it, IMHO.

• Like 3

Thanks all, I was going to look at the plugs, they have only done 8,000 miles but that cheap fuel might have caused some problems I guess.  I need to look at this "resetting of the fuel tables" never dug that deep into the GS911...

Hmm, so since there is no throttle body sync possible (this is a wethead) can anybody enlighten me regarding "resetting the fuel tables" ?? 

You need a GS-911 to reset the fuel tables and also it will reset the Throttle Position or butterfly position and calibrate them.

Used to be able to twist the grip a few times turn off the bike restart it and done.  Nope, wetheads now need a computer to do it.

I have a GS-911, so this should be possible.  However, despite my misgivings the Techron has improved things so this might be a "leaver"

Geoff

• Like 1