IGNORED

Securing outerwear when stopped

Milanator

Wondering what riders do with their jackets and pants when touring, and visiting somewhere where one will be away from the bike for several hours.

stuff them in the panniers?

drape them over the bike and trust in general good will toward men?

run a cable lock through them and leave them on the bike?

What works?

It depends.  If going to a restaurant, I take my helmet and gloves with me.  I usually lay the jacket on the seat with a small cable lock.  I put the boots in a side case. I just keep wearing the pants.

If I'm gone for a long time or multiple locations where I have to walk a lot, I put the cable through the helmet and jacket sleeve locked to the bike, put the pants in a case,, and boots in a case.  

Right now it is so hot in Texas I wear shorts and tee shirt under everything and carry sneakers.  As soon as I stop I strip all the gear off  and wear what is underneath.

I have left things sitting for hours unlocked and have never had anything stolen.  Probably not wise but sometimes I'm lazy.

Like Skywagon, I have a small retractable cable lock I use when I feel the need to secure my jacket.  I've got a helmet lock mounted on the license plate holder.  I wouldn't trust either of those things overnight, and maybe not even for several hours, depending on location, but they're enough to deter casual theivery.  But I've often gone into a restaurant or gas station with my jacket just tossed over the tank/tank bag, and my GPS and V1 still in their unsecured mounts, and have had no losses.  I do always lock my helmet or bring it with me, because in most places I go, if that gets stolen, I'm stuck (and I wouldn't WANT to ride without it even if it's legal).

I went to Home Depot and bought about 6 feet of small diameter steel cable.  I put a loop on each end and use it with a small padlock to lock my gear to the bike.

If panniers and topcase are empty, then helmet goes in one pannier, boots in the other and jacket and pants in the top case.

I often have to work away from my normal base and have nowhere safe to put things so try to ensure the boxes are or empty (or will be when I get there.)

Sometimes I use a helmet lock if I think the area's ok. https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/Oxford-Lid-Lock---Helmet-Lock/m-17734.aspx

Or an EZGO strap and take the helmet with me. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Helmet-Carrier-Must-Have-Hands-Free-x/dp/B073VN173Y

RecentConvert

We travel two up most of the time and almost never have room in the panniers or topcase for helmets, boots, jackets, pants.  We take our helmets into most restaurants but will sometimes leave them unattended on the bike.   Pants are worn unless it it blazing hot, then they like jackets are draped over the bike.  Shoes are a non issue.  One pair, on feet.

We have had things stolen (Portland OR and Asheville, NC).  The tank bag isn't lockable.  RAM mounts are popular.  Never a jacket, helmet or pants.  It is always a nervous leave to walk away and hope the stuff is there when we return.  We do have cable locks, but rarely use them.

And we avoid cities when possible.

If I'm going to be away from the bike for a while, I'll put the tank bag in the trunk and lock the jacket and helmet to the bike.  While visiting a restaurant, I take me jacket and helmet in.  Why leave them in the sun to bake when you can have them in air conditioned comfort?

I do what dba does (above).  When it's just my wife and I and we go into a restaurant we take our helmet and jackets with us.  There's usually plenty of room for them on the two extra chairs at a table or beside us in a booth.  As dba implies, it's nice to not have to put on a hot helmet and jacket when getting underway.  When we visited the Hearst Castle at San Simeon and were to be separated from the bike for a few hours I locked the helmets onto our Helmet Guardian and threaded a cable lock through the sleeves of our jackets while anchoring the cable to the sidecase guard.  As usual, it was all untouched when we got back to the bike.  I know bad stuff happens, but I think most travelers are honest and would have little to gain from stealing or vandalizing motorcycle gear.  The dishonest people who visit touristic areas to prey on cars and motorcycles are sometimes put off if you've parked strategically, like under a surveillance camera, by an occupied ticket booth or at a parking corner that has a lot of traffic coming by.  I'm with Recent Convert (above) about being nervous about leaving my bike or belongings unattended in a city. 

First, if possible I try to park somewhere in view of my table at a restaurant. But, it’s largely dictated by practicality. I have a couple small retractable cable locks that I loop through sleeves, helmet, etc., and hope that this will deter a casual or impulsive thief. 

Joe Frickin' Friday

For the past 20 years I've never really worried about theft.  I've grown more paranoid these last few years (not sure why).  

I just bought this for my helmet:

Model No. 99DSPT

The pic doesn't show it, but the nipple on the end of the cable is not much wider than the cable itself; this makes it really easy to slip it through the D-rings on my helmet's chin strap.  

The cable is 14 inches long.  On road trips, I've always got the back rest on the bike, so I tried securing this loop around the back rest's stem, which lets the helmet pretty much sit on the front seat.  If the back rest isn't there, then of course the rear rack has plenty of loops to attach to.

This is nice because dragging a helmet into a restaurant is kind of inconvenient.  Bringing a jacket in is not terribly inconvenient though, so I haven't bothered to come up with a way to secure my jacket to my bike.  

The small loop is hooked onto the hook that hides under the front edge of the pillion seat. Since taking this picture I decided to start using the right side of the bike, so as to keep the helmet away from the exhaust pipe.

IMG_20190325_164509584_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190325_165050825_HDR.jpg

6 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

For the past 20 years I've never really worried about theft.  I've grown more paranoid these last few years (not sure why).  

I just bought this for my helmet:

Model No. 99DSPT

The pic doesn't show it, but the nipple on the end of the cable is not much wider than the cable itself; this makes it really easy to slip it through the D-rings on my helmet's chin strap.  

The cable is 14 inches long.  On road trips, I've always got the back rest on the bike, so I tried securing this loop around the back rest's stem, which lets the helmet pretty much sit on the front seat.  If the back rest isn't there, then of course the rear rack has plenty of loops to attach to.

This is nice because dragging a helmet into a restaurant is kind of inconvenient.  Bringing a jacket in is not terribly inconvenient though, so I haven't bothered to come up with a way to secure my jacket to my bike.  

That looks a lot like a firearms locks that many police departments give out for free if you ask them.

I've got this cheesy little helmet lock from EBay.  I think it was under 10 bucks.  You can lock your helmet using the D ring or get a bit longer piece of cable for other things.

All of these things offer very little protection from someone that really wants your stuff.  It's like door locks on your house.  Mostly it keeps honest people honest.

IMG_4250.jpeg

1 hour ago, greiffster said:

All of these things offer very little protection from someone that really wants your stuff.  It's like door locks on your house.  Mostly it keeps honest people honest.

Yep. The basic rules when it comes to securing your stuff:

1. If you have something specific that someone else wants badly enough, they will take it no matter what you do.

2. All you need to do to thwart the casual thief, the one who isn't really targeting your particular stuff but just wants to nab some stuff, is to make your stuff harder and more risky to swipe than your neighbor's.

6 ft braided cable with high quality key lock. In my saddlebag it rolls up about the size of a 45rpm record, remember those?

Locks two helmets and jackets securely. At the hotel I use it to lock two bikes together.  Not failsafe but parking as close to the hotel entrance certainly allays some of my fears. 

Joe Frickin' Friday
12 hours ago, greiffster said:

Pretty much, yep.  Security starts with situational awareness: consider where you're parking the bike, what kind of area you're in, and so on.  Brightly lit area in public view, for an hour or so while you eat a meal?  Good odds.  Overnight in a dark corner of the Motel 6 parking lot?  Not such good odds.

Coiled cable with lock, thru sleeves.

We could lock both jackets easily/quickly.

Helmets depended. Have specific helmet locks that use the pannier handles.

Also carried small cable lock for them, but could literally lock both helmets, both jackets, and riding pants, if needed with the longer cable .

Small padlock thru zippers of tankbag discouraged opening that..

GPS rode in locking cradle.

Securing helmets prevents the accidental dislocation and bounce incidental contact might cause, IMO.