IGNORED

Garmin Map Update - MapInstall issue

Michaelr11

I am trying to update the lifetime maps in two Garmin GPS devices.  I have done this before and kept notes of my procedure, but I have run into a puzzle.

I used Garmin Express to download the new maps 2020.2 to the Device and Computer.  The device was a Nuvi 54LM from my car. The update was successful and the Nuvi has the new map. I ran BaseCamp on my PC and the I have two maps the old 2019 map and the new 2020.2 map.  Next, I tried to run MapInstall to load the map to my motorcycle GPS, a Zumo 550 with an SD Card.  When I run MapInstall to select map segments to load on the Garmin and the SD card, the drop down for the map ONLY SHOWS 2019.2.  The new map doesn't appear as an option.  What's wrong?

2 hours ago, Michaelr11 said:

I am trying to update the lifetime maps in two Garmin GPS devices.  I have done this before and kept notes of my procedure, but I have run into a puzzle.

I used Garmin Express to download the new maps 2020.2 to the Device and Computer.  The device was a Nuvi 54LM from my car. The update was successful and the Nuvi has the new map. I ran BaseCamp on my PC and the I have two maps the old 2019 map and the new 2020.2 map.  Next, I tried to run MapInstall to load the map to my motorcycle GPS, a Zumo 550 with an SD Card.  When I run MapInstall to select map segments to load on the Garmin and the SD card, the drop down for the map ONLY SHOWS 2019.2.  The new map doesn't appear as an option.  What's wrong?

Evening Michaelr11

Well!, you can keep playing with it but that is a problem at times. 

First, make darn sure that your 2020.2 map is in the C/program data/Garmin/Maps folder.

If you actually have the 2020.2 then you might get Mapinstall to load it. 

If you have MapSource installed then that actually works better to install new maps to older Garmin GPS units.

Your Zumo 550 won't hold the entire map on the Zumo main drive  so it will have to be split between the main drive & the SD card. If you let the Garmin Express do the  install it will probably try to only load part of the country or load only  Canada & surrounding.  

Also for the 2020.2 to work in the Z-550 it MUST be named  Gmappron on the main drive & as Gmapsupp on the SD card (if it is named something else then the Zumo 550 won't read it).

There is a problem with the newest BaseCamp upgrade (actually a down grade on functions)-- & a BIG problem with the newest Map install, so most of us power users have back graded to the older  BaseCamp 4.6.2 & the older MapInstall-4.0.4. (that works best)

Problem is, it is easy to remove the current BaseCamp then download & install Base Camp 4.6.2 but reverting to the older MapInstall is a real bugger as just downgrading Base Camp won't remove your current (wonky) MapInstall. You have to go in & manually find &  remove the current MapInstall files & folders THEN download & install the older  older MapInstall.

Too much for me to type here but there is a number of online write-ups for going back to the  older BaseCamp & to the older (properly working) Mapinstall.  

Once you back grade (if you choose to do so) then go into your firewall or virus protection & set BaseCamp to not be able to access the internet or it will keep trying to upgrade again.

Added: if you don't have MapSource installed you really should go online & find the MapSource  version 6.16.3 then install & use that, not only for loading maps to your old Zumo,  but also for transferring routes to the Zumo GPS (Garmin put out a bulletin to use MapSource to transfer routes to the Zumo 550 due to all the  routing corruption  & irregularities when using BaseCamp to transfer routes to the older Zumo era devices).

Added/Added: read this for more info---   https://openmtbmap.org/tutorials/basecamp-4-7-0/

Bill_Walker

Maybe use Garmin Express to update the maps on your Zumo?  The maps you downloaded are likely license-keyed to the unit you downloaded them for.

Map Install Issue RESOLVED.

Thank you both for the responses.  The problem, along the lines of Bill's comment, was that Map Express must be run once for each of the devices that you are updating.  Map Express loads some record or key on the computer that confirms for each device that you have a license to use the maps on that device.

So, I ran Map Express a 2nd time, but with the Zumo 550 attached to the computer this time.  I selected the option to load to the Computer Only.  Fortunately the software sees that the new maps are already there and skips the download and just activates the maps.  The computer only download only took a couple of minutes. Once completed, the Map Install program now gives me both map sets to choose from for installing to the Zumo.

Map Express is a bad tool to use if you can't fit the entire map set on the device.  When I experimented with it, it only gave me Canada and the upper tier states as an option.  Instead, using Map Install, I just loaded one single map segment to the Zumo and loaded the entire remaining 2020.2 map to the SD card.