IGNORED

Aux running lights question

MarinPhil

2000 R110RT.   I have 2 led running lights that id like to run with low beam headlight.  Don't do much night riding so not needed for hi beam, just more light for safety. Thinking to just tapping into the low beam power wire just behind where the connector goes to the bulb. haven’t yet looked to see which is the one. This way the leds will always be on with my low beam.   Anyone see a problem with this.  Inline fuse??  The aux lights are leds, so really very little watt draw.  Anyone?

34 minutes ago, MarinPhil said:

2000 R110RT.   I have 2 led running lights that id like to run with low beam headlight.  Don't do much night riding so not needed for hi beam, just more light for safety. Thinking to just tapping into the low beam power wire just behind where the connector goes to the bulb. haven’t yet looked to see which is the one. This way the leds will always be on with my low beam.   Anyone see a problem with this.  Inline fuse??  The aux lights are leds, so really very little watt draw.  Anyone?

Afternoon MarinPhil

As long as the LED aux lighting draw is very low you could probably do that, you don't want to add a lot to the headlight circuit as the wiring is already fairly light.

The low beam wire going to the headlight is 'yellow'.

I would highly recommend that you fuse that aux circuit to just a little more than the LED's draw.

Better option is to use a (fused) power relay then just use the headlight low beam circuit to trigger the relay.

• Like 1

Thanks. Pls explain how to wire a power relay in this instance. Relay, yellow wire from dipped beam for trigger, some type of on/ off switch and power from ?   If i dont want to go from the battery for power and negative where else do you think is closer to front of bike or easier?  

38 minutes ago, MarinPhil said:

Thanks. Pls explain how to wire a power relay in this instance. Relay, yellow wire from dipped beam for trigger, some type of on/ off switch and power from ?   If i dont want to go from the battery for power and negative where else do you think is closer to front of bike or easier?  

Evening MarinPhil

To do it correctly you really should go to the battery as the power source  (you can run the wires back to the battery by running the wires in a small diameter convoluted wire harness covering.  You can leave the plastic panels in place but push a stiff wire along the R/H side of the fuel tank then tape the wire harness to the stiff wire then pull it through.

Here is a basic wiring diagram on how to wire  in an Aux light power relay. You can get the little square  Bosch style relay & terminals from about any auto parts store

gXsMG24.jpg

• Like 1

Thats exactly what i was after. Cheers mate.  Now i just have to fab mounting brackets.  

Oops, one more question.  For a basic on off waterproof switch,  inline from 30 or 87 from the relay?

30 minutes ago, MarinPhil said:

Thats exactly what i was after. Cheers mate.  Now i just have to fab mounting brackets.  

Oops, one more question.  For a basic on off waterproof switch,  inline from 30 or 87 from the relay?

Evening MarinPhil

For a basic on off waterproof switch,  inline from 30 or 87 from the relay? -- Actually I would put it in the (86) wire.

I put LED headlight bulb in and then added the driving lights so draw saved was about the same as the additional draw from the new lights.  Problem solved!