IGNORED

Cannot see through sight glass anymore

Dann

I cannot see the oil level through my sight glass anymore.

Cleaning the outside doesn't solve the problem. There seem to be a deposit of some sort on the inside of the glass.

Is there anyway to clean it?

I use Motul 7100 10w60 synth oil and oil changes are always done following the maintenance schedule. (I just did it today)

The bike is an R1200Rt 2007 and has 178436 km

I'm not overly concerned, it's just annoying. I put 4L in when I change the oil and 500ml when the (!) sign come on. BTW Motul 10W60 oil is red1075578736_SightGlass.thumb.jpg.f3d173eb8894819f74ea3fef62c4bd2e.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dann said:

I cannot see the oil level through my sight glass anymore.

Cleaning the outside doesn't solve the problem. There seem to be a deposit of some sort on the inside of the glass.

Is there anyway to clean it?

I use Motul 7100 10w60 synth oil and oil changes are always done following the maintenance schedule. (I just did it today)

The bike is an R1200Rt 2007 and has 178436 km

I'm not overly concerned, it's just annoying. I put 4L in when I change the oil and 500ml when the (!) sign come on. BTW Motul 10W60 oil is red

Evening Dann

That looks to be a varnish buildup (at least it looks like that)-- You might be able to add something to the crankcase to clean that a little bit but that would also break similar varnish loose from other areas. You really don't want all that junk floating around inside your engine.

Difficult call but personally I would just let it alone, or if really bothers you then replace the sight glass.

11 hours ago, Dann said:

Hi DR

Any idea what can cause this?

Morning Dann

I do have some ideas but that is just the usual causes of oil varnish. Exactly what caused "your" problem will be difficult to define  without oil samples and/or  inspection of the engine interior.

The 2 major causes of oil varnishing are:

Oil thermal degradation-- this  can occur on most motor oils at oil temperatures above 300°C. I seriously doubt that your oil ever got anywhere near 300°c in the sump.

Or oil oxidation--  this is usually caused by breakdown/decomposition of the oil during long term usage.

Morning DR

10W60 should be able to stand higher heat that the recommended 15W50 and full synth ester oil should have no issue with degradation after 6000mi (oil change interval)...

I even need to add 500ml of fresh oil at around 5000mi

Changing the sight glass seems to be a job that requires a lot of specialized BMW tools according to the RSD DVD

Just now, Dann said:

Morning DR

10W60 should be able to stand higher heat that the recommended 15W50 and full synth ester oil should have no issue with degradation after 6000mi (oil change interval)...

I even need to add 500ml of fresh oil at around 5000mi

Changing the sight glass seems to be a job that requires a lot of specialized BMW tools according to the RSD DVD

Morning Dann

You would have to look at the oil specs to tell if the oil can stand higher heat but standing higher heat doesn't necessarily mean that it can't form varnish.   

Something caused that sight glass to discolor & it looks like varnish (this is only based on an internet picture though so who knows).

You can change the sight glass with home-type  common tools BUT that is risky as without the BMW proper tools it is very easy to break the sight glass either removing or installing it  (not only is breaking the new sight glass expensive but you could end up with broken glass inside the crankcase).

5 minutes ago, Dann said:

Morning DR

AFAIK the original sight glass on my 07 is plastic. The new ones are glass.

Morning Dann

I think the original is glass but I'm not 100% on that. I have an old service bulletin that (I think) explains when the changeover took place) I will see if I can find it.

Added: I just went back & looked at your above picture & it does look like the plastic lens version. 

29 minutes ago, GordonB said:

Maybe there's just too much oil in there?

+1.  Mine kind of looks that color when its over the top of the glass. (4L would put mine over the top).

1 hour ago, greiffster said:

+1.  Mine kind of looks that color when its over the top of the glass. (4L would put mine over the top).

That's not the issue

If it was full of oil it should look red and not yellow since the Motul oil is red

I kept an eye on it when I was filling it and I never saw the oil level rise in the sight glass

The last time I got the oil level warning I could not see the level either

When you start the engine, the oil level should go down a bit and you should see the oil moving a little.

Nothing changes in the sight glass when I start the engine

• Confused 1
On 8/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Dann said:

That's not the issue

If it was full of oil it should look red and not yellow since the Motul oil is red

I kept an eye on it when I was filling it and I never saw the oil level rise in the sight glass

The last time I got the oil level warning I could not see the level either

When you start the engine, the oil level should go down a bit and you should see the oil moving a little.

Nothing changes in the sight glass when I start the engine

If this was my bike, I would spend the money to have the sight glass replaced.