IGNORED

Electric motor won’t turn off 98RT

MyR1100RT

When I got home today, bike runs, sounds, starts as usual, but when I shut the bike down there is an electric motor (I believe right in front of the battery (where my finger is)

i have pulled all all the fuses with no change. 

to me it it doesn’t sound like what the normal sound the fuel pump makes before start up, but that is the only electrical motor I can think of in that area. 

ABS?

I have some video video with the sound it’s making if anyone wants to hear it. 

Any feedback would be 

75DDD926-9A96-43EC-B534-862045EB90ED.jpeg

3 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

When I got home today, bike runs, sounds, starts as usual, but when I shut the bike down there is an electric motor (I believe right in front of the battery (where my finger is)

i have pulled all all the fuses with no change. 

to me it it doesn’t sound like what the normal sound the fuel pump makes before start up, but that is the only electrical motor I can think of in that area. 

ABS?

I have some video video with the sound it’s making if anyone wants to hear it. 

Any feedback would be 

Afternoon MyR1100RT   

It sounds like your ABS motor is not shutting down.

There is an ABS power relay under a sliding cover on the side of the ABS module,  the usual problem is stuck contacts in that high amp relay.

No fuse to pull so you will probably have to disconnect a battery cable until you straighten it out.  

That makes sense now. I did notice when I started home that my ABS lights were flickering back and forth, knew I’d have reset them when I got home. 

Ill see see if I can locate the sensor you mentioned. 

Much appreciated!

5 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

That makes sense now. I did notice when I started home that my ABS lights were flickering back and forth, knew I’d have reset them when I got home. 

Ill see see if I can locate the sensor you mentioned. 

Much appreciated!

Afternoon MyR1100RT 

It's a relay under a sliding cover not a sensor.

5 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon MyR1100RT 

It's a relay under a sliding cover not a sensor.

Got it. Was rushing to respond during a work break. 

4 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

Got it. Was rushing to respond during a work break. 

Afternoon MyR1100RT 

Here is picture of ABS module relay cover. The ABS power relay is under the cover.

LYurZu0.jpg

Ok. Now I’m home. Thanks for the pix. Is it on the right or left side of the bike?  What do I do to this relay?  Is there a way to “reset” it?  Do I have to remove anything else to get to the cover (besides the Tupperware)?

39 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

Ok. Now I’m home. Thanks for the pix. Is it on the right or left side of the bike?  What do I do to this relay?  Is there a way to “reset” it?  Do I have to remove anything else to get to the cover (besides the Tupperware)?

Evening MyR1100RT 

Cover is on the R/H side, cover slides up, then pull the relay socket out, then remove the relay from the socket.

(IF) removing the relay solves your continuous run issue then you should replace the relay with a new one.

It might be possible to get the cover off of the relay then carefully file the contact points but that usually doesn't last long as the filed points usually re-fuse-together  after some uses.  

1 minute ago, Michaelr11 said:

Yes, to work in there the tank should come off.  Be prepared, that ABS Motor Relay, $179.18.

Does the tank have to come off??

thanks riders. Appreciate all the info. 

24 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

Does the tank have to come off??

Evening MyR1100RT 

Sort of has to come off, you can probably remove the tank fasteners then lift it up & back then possibly prop it there. You just need to get it high enough to get the ABS relay cover off.

Only advantage to not totally removing the tank is if your 1100 is still stock with no fuel line quick disconnects. You don't have to risk ruining the hoses as you pry/pull/twist  to get the hoses apart.

Usually decent deals on ABS relays on E-Bay. Just make darn sure that you are getting the 61362306526  ABS MOTOR RELAY  & not the in-fuse-box  ABS warning relay (BIG difference).

You are correct, the tank has never been off the bike, while I would like to think that I might be able to do this job w/out taking it off, with my luck will be required. )did I mention that I JUST FILLED UP today?!? ☹️

I know that I had a Clymer manual at one point, but can’t find it. 

Im looking at their website now, and it does say that chapter 14 contains info on the ABS Sensor and ABS ABS Relay (ABS II). 

Would this he the correct information that I need?  

Or or would you recommend another source?

thanks again. 

8 hours ago, MyR1100RT said:

You are correct, the tank has never been off the bike, while I would like to think that I might be able to do this job w/out taking it off, with my luck will be required. )did I mention that I JUST FILLED UP today?!? ☹️

I know that I had a Clymer manual at one point, but can’t find it. 

Im looking at their website now, and it does say that chapter 14 contains info on the ABS Sensor and ABS ABS Relay (ABS II). 

Would this he the correct information that I need?  

Or or would you recommend another source?

thanks again. 

Morning MyR1100RT

The Clymer manual is probably about as good as any, the BMW service manual doesn't even cover much on the ABS (motor) relay.

That tank will be very heavy so you might want to siphon as much fuel out into a can, or your car, as possible to make it lighter (especially if you are going to  try to just lift it up &  prop it up).

Ideally it would be nice to just disconnect the B+ power going to the ABS relay then ride the bike without ABS until the tank is empty but the ABS motor relay is powered directly from the rear of the alternator & that is very difficult to accesses.

You might want to use a long screwdriver or a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the ABS module to make darn sure it IS the ABS motor that you hear running (probably is but you might want to verify before tearing the bier apart)

going to the ABS relay then ride the bike without ABS until the tank is empty but the ABS motor relay is powered directly from the rear of the alternator & that is very difficult to accesses. “

since I don’t have my clymers, is the ABS relay the big plug going into the ABS unit?

My understanding (and am probably wrong) but isn’t the ABS system “plugged” into the master brake cylinder?  Won’t this affect the braking system?

id much Rather ride it around till the tank is empty (my gas cans are full at the moment with lawnmower, snowblower and backup generator fuel). 

28 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

going to the ABS relay then ride the bike without ABS until the tank is empty but the ABS motor relay is powered directly from the rear of the alternator & that is very difficult to accesses. “

since I don’t have my clymers, is the ABS relay the big plug going into the ABS unit?

My understanding (and am probably wrong) but isn’t the ABS system “plugged” into the master brake cylinder?  Won’t this affect the braking system?

id much Rather ride it around till the tank is empty (my gas cans are full at the moment with lawnmower, snowblower and backup generator fuel). 

Morning  MyR1100RT

No, the ABS relay is under that cover that I pictured above. You must access the ABS module, then remove that cover, then slide the relay socket out, THEN unplug & remove the relay.

Yes, both your brake master cylinders go through the ABS module but the ABS module doesn't interfere with normal braking.

19 minutes ago, MyR1100RT said:

Is there a petcock valve or anything else to drain the fuel tank with?

Evening MyR1100RT

No, you can drain down some through the fuel return line but sticking a hose into the bottom of the fuel tank then siphoning most out is the best way. You will probably have to do both sides of tank center as the R/H tank wing holds a lot of fuel.

I’m hoping this is my last major question be for starting this process. Are there any unique tools that I will need?

im thinking that since I’ll probably have the tank off I’ll replace my fuel filter. 

I"m not an active participant in this thread because I don't have enough knowledge to contribute but I'm learning boatloads about the R1100RT. Thanks!! Miguel 

10 hours ago, MyR1100RT said:

I’m hoping this is my last major question be for starting this process. Are there any unique tools that I will need?

im thinking that since I’ll probably have the tank off I’ll replace my fuel filter. 

Morning MyR1100RT

You sort of need to define the term   "unique tools"? -- You will need more than a hammer & pair of pliers but nothing too exotic.

Your biggest issue will probably be in dealing with the specialized Oetiker hose clamps as using factory type clamps will require a special Oetiker clamp crimping pliers.  (caution: you can not use plain worm-screw type clamps as they can damage the hoses & come loose later)

You can buy  special (fuel injection type) reusable clamps from Beemer Boneyard (I'm not sure about the smaller tank vent or fill area drain hose clamps though -- you will have to ask) 

On your 1100 bike you probably also want to  install quick disconnects on the external fuel lines as that will make future fuel tank removal MUCH easier. (Beemer Boneyard offers that kit)  

When going into the fuel tank  be sure to mark the hoses for position (both external & internal) & it helps to tie strings on the  internal hoses & internal wires so you don't have to go fishing for them at re-assembly.

Some also mark the clocking of the fuel pump pass through to tank before disassembly   but it has a flat to line up if you know how to read that (marking the clocking is probably best for first time removal)

Wanted to pass along some information I received from my mechanic. Because my mechanic has never heard the ABS motor run like mine is, he suggested that I contact the company he sends all his ABS related work to. modulemaster.com (located in beautiful Moscow Idaho)

I briefly looked over their website and their prices seem very reasonable (they come with a 5yr warranty for the ABSII system, not that I’m going to rebuild it) fingers crossed. 

Derek