IGNORED

Motronic Probing

R6T5

When testing pins in the Motronic connector, how do you decipher the numbering system used by BMW? After unplugging the harness from the unit, I'm simply staring at a top & bottom row of female receptacles that mate to the Motronic's "pins" but have no clue which number I'm testing. 

Out of desperation, I disassembled the plug and tested wire colors according to a schematic I have, but isn't there  a less invasive way? Online searched turned up nothing. 

41 minutes ago, R6T5 said:

When testing pins in the Motronic connector, how do you decipher the numbering system used by BMW? After unplugging the harness from the unit, I'm simply staring at a top & bottom row of female receptacles that mate to the Motronic's "pins" but have no clue which number I'm testing. 

Out of desperation, I disassembled the plug and tested wire colors according to a schematic I have, but isn't there  a less invasive way? Online searched turned up nothing. 

Afternoon R6T5

Some  Motronic connectors have very/very small numbers & some don't.

In any case there are 32 Motronic pins on the Motronic Ma 2.2 if I remember correctly, (I'm not near my shop to look at the moment)  so that is 2 rows of 16 pins/ The pins are numbered in sequence so you know where pin 15 (red wire) is & you know where pin 33 (green/black wire) is so just count forward or  backwards from those.  

At one time (back when I did a lot of 1100 work) I had a cheat sheet on my shop wall showing connector with pin numbers & wire colors. It fell off the wall & I'm not sure if I still have it or not. If I find it I will PM you a copy.

Thanks for your response. I assumed there must be some numeric sequence for counting pins. As it turns out, the Motronic was bad on my bike. I had power going in, but no voltage output to the HES or fuel pump connector. 

After probing the parts bike, I found that it worked fine. I swapped that unit into the bike I was troubleshooting and suddenly had voltage going out to all the connectors it needs to run. I need to put fresh fuel in before I fire it up, but thanks to you fellows on the forum, I'm confident I've got it sorted out!