IGNORED

Opinions wanted: wiring driving lights

Cap

I have a 2017 R1200RT on which I am planning to mount some forward-facing lights to the engine crash bar.  No big deal, but I have been tossing around the approach I will use to route the wires.  I thought some of you here might offer your thoughts.

I already have a Hex EZCan Gen 2.  It is mounted, and working to control my Skene brake lights.  I am going to use the EZCan DRL circuit to power the new lights.  I could run separate wires back from each light to the controller, and then tie them together at the controller.  Or I could build a short sub-harness to run between the lights, and then run one longer harness back to the controller.  Silly thing to obsess about, but until the new lights arrive, I have too much time to think about it. :cool:

Meanwhile I have decided to use weather-proof connectors at each light, so that I can swap out the lights in the future without needing to fuss with the harness.  I found that I can buy a set of stubbed male and female connectors on Amazon: connectors.  I also found a cheap pre-built wiring harness for an off-road light bar that I can chop into pieces and repurpose.  Both products are well made.  The harness wires are protected by a tough plastic outer sheath perfect for routing on a moto.

In the process of researching my conspicuity options, I ended up learning about CREE LED's and their various generations and permutations.  I was intrigued by a newer variant called XHP70 which has 4 LEDs in a single die.  I couldn't find any of the better-established brands that use it yet, but I did find this oddball light on eBay  I bought one for a lark, and it showed up a few weeks later.  I certainly seems like a quality piece of gear: solid, well machined, stainless hardware, robust brackets.  That's one reason why I will wire my lights so I can swap them easily -- I can compare this eBay light against some established brands, and see how it performs.

TIA, Cap

Hi Cap - if you want the flasher feature and the blinker feature where the active blinker side turns off the front auxiliary light on the same side,  then you'll need to wire the lights separately and not tie them together.   The flasher feature alternates the blinkers with the auxiliary lights.  That feature may work tied together, but I am not sure and am out the door or I'd check for you.

And, why are you using the EZCan to run your Skene brake lights? I thought they could be fully powered by the rear brake/tail light vs. using up one of the EZCan circuits.

My EZCan came with weather proof connectors but I have a Gen 1.

Sounds like a fun project.

On 8/3/2019 at 5:58 AM, Limecreek said:

Hi Cap - if you want the flasher feature and the blinker feature where the active blinker side turns off the front auxiliary light on the same side,  then you'll need to wire the lights separately and not tie them together.  

That is exactly the reason I posted the question -- something I had not thought about.  Thanks. UPDATE: to get the directional flasher function, each light must be wired to a separate circuit in the EZCan.  So, that will take 2 circuits.  Use the software to tell EZCan which circuit is right, and which is left.

And, why are you using the EZCan to run your Skene brake lights? I thought they could be fully powered by the rear brake/tail light vs. using up one of the EZCan circuits.

I didn't want to tap into the bike's wiring harness.  So, I used 2 of the 4 EZCan circuits on the Skene: the accessory circuit to power it, and the brake circuit to trigger it.  Sure, wasteful, but also non-invasive. UPDATE: so, using two circuits for directional flashing leaves me with no more circuits available.  Fine for now,  If I decide I need more accessories later, I can reverse the Skene installation and gain expansion room.

Edited by Cap
I read the freakin' manual