IGNORED

WTB: Right hand triangle side cover RT 1100

Woodchips

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The buttons are broken.  Currently they are sitting in a drawer.  I do have instructions how to make a repair if you are interested.  It's a winter project that I have to get around to doing.  Fortunately both my side covers are in mint condition; hence no need for me to rush to refurbish the two broken ones. 

Hi RK Ryder

Mine was in mint condition until it came off and a fellow rider stopped and tried to pick it up but watched hopelessly as a car driver hit it on purpose.

The instructions would be appreciated. 

The fellow rider is the one you sent it to in Tuson, he just texted me to say the package was delivered today and he has forwarded it to me. We’ll see how Canada Customs treats the package. 

Thanks again for a smooth transaction. 

Ron in Calgary 

10 hours ago, Woodchips said:

Hi RK Ryder

Mine was in mint condition until it came off and a fellow rider stopped and tried to pick it up but watched hopelessly as a car driver hit it on purpose.

The instructions would be appreciated. 

The fellow rider is the one you sent it to in Tuson, he just texted me to say the package was delivered today and he has forwarded it to me. We’ll see how Canada Customs treats the package. 

Thanks again for a smooth transaction. 

Ron in Calgary 

eddd has given an excellent set of instructions for repairing the right side triangular side panel. The instructions that I received a few years back are similar. Note, I have yet to attempt a repair on the side panel (broken by an independent shop) or the one that I acquired when buying an allotment of R1100RT stuff. I do have a fully intact right triangular piece which accounts for my storing but not repairing the broken two on hand. Unfortunately, I am unable to load the images that came with the instructions.

Cheers!

Paul

Supplies/tools needed:
1/4 x 20 stainless steel button-head bolt 1" long
1.25" length of plastic tubing from top of a swamp cooler
JB Weld(THE miricle liquid)

hand-held drill or drill press
dremel type tool
band saw, hack saw or coping saw
small file
emory cloth

1. drill out hole in pin base to 3/8" (be careful not to let drill bit slam into out side and make hole or indent :it may be necessary to clean up roughness and start a pilot hole with dremel tool first)
2. test fit plastic tubing in hole; ream hole as needed with dremel tool for exact fit
3. cut one end of tubing at slight angle so it will come out of base perpendicular
4. cut tubing to 1.25" on longest side
5. insert bolt into drill (drill press) use file to get head down to approximate size of rubber grommet
6. test fit bolt into grommet and continue with file until desired snugness of fit is attained
7. taper bolt head so it goes in and comes out with amount of pressure to suit you
8. use emory cloth to put smoother finish on bolt head
9. cut a few rough spots on outside plastic tube below the level of the base and a couple inside the tube to help glue hold
....and put slight taper on flat end of tube to provide variation in diameter for rubber grommet to grip
10. prop side piece up a few degrees and fill cavity under base about 3/4 full with JB Weld
11. insert plastic tube into base making sure angled end aligns with angle of outer side
12. put a small amount of JB Weld into plastic tube & insert bolt turning as you go to get JB Weld evenly distributed into threads
....and inner rough spots previously cut with dremel tool
13. prop entire part up so JB Weld does not run out
14. wait for the JB Weld to cure (usually 8 to 12 hours is sufficient--24 hours is better).

On 8/28/2019 at 10:47 PM, Woodchips said:

GS Addict

That link looks interesting, but won’t open 🥴

woodchips

I just tested it, works for me.