IGNORED

Tire Shopping

aggieengineer

aggieengineer

The Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs on the bike are about halfway through their useful life, and I'm shopping for a replacement set while Dunlop has the $40 rebate. I've been happy with these tires, but was thinking about giving the Q3+ a try. I've heard the Q3 complimented on many occasions. I'm willing to give up mileage for better grip and handling. Despite conventional wisdom, it's not always hot here in Texas, and I ride year-round. I do have some concern that the Q3+ might require warming to a level that just won't occur in winter, before it performs any better than the Roadsmart. Wet performance is not that much of a concern for me. Comments on experience with the Q3 or Q3+ will be appreciated. 

RandyShields

Even though the Sportmax Q3 and Q3+ are typically considered sportbike tires, I had the opportunity to mount one on the back of my K1600 during my Westward Ho ride.  Take a look at day 9 and 10 from the ride report.  I ran it for over 2000 miles until replacing it in Idaho with a Road Pilot 4. 

During that time, I had heat, rain, snow and slippery roads.  I was very impressed with the grip of the Dunlops; they held the road firmly at all times, despite the relatively lack of tread cuts in the tires.  I can't speak to their longevity but, think that, as a softer compound, you would not get the mileage out of them as a traditional sport touring or touring bike tire.

Randy

My bike came with the Michelin Road 5's and they have been great so far. But I'll be following this post for future references.