IGNORED

Tire pressure monitoring system

kruuuzn

Can somebody recommend a good quality TPMS? I'd really like a system with internal sensors and a readout I can mount on my dash.

10 minutes ago, kruuuzn said:

Can somebody recommend a good quality TPMS? I'd really like a system with internal sensors and a readout I can mount on my dash.

Afternoon  kruuuzn   

I can't recommend a TPMS system but can point out a possible issue.

Be very careful (do a lot of research) on internal  sensors. Your stock BMW wheels were not machined for internal TPMS sensors so there is no recess for them to sit in.

All works as expected UNTIL you have a low or flat tire then the internal sensor can contact the pavement as it sits proud of the rim depression. I'm not sure all will do this, just something to keep in mind.

Hello kruuuzn.  This isn’t exactly what you requested, but I have been very happy with the TireGard TPMS. It uses valve cap sensors that communicate with the display. I have it on my R1100RT with the standard short rubber valve stems. Never had any problems with the sensors damaging the valve stem. I change valve stems every other new tire - about once or twice a year. The model I have uses a fob that I attach to my jacket zipper, but I believe that they have a model with a handle bar mounted display.

Thanks guys.

And good point DR.

After looking around I find that most of the systems sold use the external sensors. I guess that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I also find many systems that all look the same for about the same low price. It's probably Chinese products marketed with different names. I was really looking for something of a little more quality.

I can't comment (yet) on the long-term reliability, but I did buy one of those ~ $50 TPMS with the external sensors from Amazon and have been using it for about a month. The TPMS shows pressure to the nearest one psi (no decimal point). The TPMS readings match my digital tire gauge. The dash display unit has endured a couple of rain storms with no ill effect.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, RogerC60 said:

I can't comment (yet) on the long-term reliability, but I did buy one of those ~ $50 TPMS with the external sensors from Amazon and have been using it for about a month. The TPMS shows pressure to the nearest one psi (no decimal point). The TPMS readings match my digital tire gauge. The dash display unit has endured a couple of rain storms with no ill effect.

Hope this helps.

Which one did you get?

That one doesn't look too bad but I had envisioned mounting this on the dash of my RT using double sided tape.

It doesn't look like that would work because of the protruding tapped hole.

How did you mount yours?

FYI

After a lot of searching around I ordered the Cyclops TPMS this morning.

I couldn’t figure out why it looked so much like the amazon units at more than twice the price. That is, until I came across a thread on Adventure Riders. The thread was started by the guy that sells these from Washington state. They starting selling them in 2017. He explained how they sourced these to China but were built to their specifications. That explained why the unit looked so much like the other ones. I’m sure they’re all built in the same place.

Some of the improvements he claimed:

12V power. This was big for me. I hate keeping things charged up. The only batteries are in the stems.

Waterproof.

Upgraded signal.

Mounting bracket for flat surface. Another big one. I want to mount it on my dash. 

Customer service. From reading through the 16 page thread it became obvious they care about customer service. And everyone just raved about the product.

Sixteen pages of happy people kinda wins you over. LOL

On 8/2/2019 at 12:49 PM, kruuuzn said:

That one doesn't look too bad but I had envisioned mounting this on the dash of my RT using double sided tape.

How did you mount yours?

I see you already bought a different one, but since you asked...

The display unit has a 1/4-20 threaded insert. I drilled a hole in the upper dashboard cowl and used a short screw and a lock washer.

Thanks Roger.

That's not a bad idea.

I used to avoid drilling holes in my dash but not so much anymore. I'm gonna keep that idea in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Kruuuzn,

I have a FOBO system (external) on my R1100S and a bunch of the cheapo external $50 Chinese units on 4 bikes and three cars for more than two years.  ALL of them work very well and have for the whole time I've had them.

I MUCH prefer the separate, dedicated display rather than the FOBO app on my phone.  It's always there on my bike, easy to see and read.

The internal type sensors are totally different from the external sensors with a slower cycle time,  much less accurate pressure sensor, 433mHz (requires more power), NON-replaceable batteries, and MUCH more expensive.

The external sensors use a GE made sensor that is more accurate (+- 0.4psi, and temp accuracy is +- 1 degC), faster cycle time, easily replaceable (and cheap) batteries, and uses Bluetooth (2.45GHz).  The batteries seem to last about 15 months, when the first one shows low I replace them all.

I did mount a FOBO unit INSIDE the rear tire on my K bike with the FOBO "T-valve".  It worked very well but did not provide the benefit I expected.  Plus, per Dirt Rider it would have been demolished if the tire went flat.  FOBO said it wouldn't work (signal wouldn't penetrate the tire) but it did and very well, too.

The "T-valve" works VERY well with all the external type sensors and with the BMW wheels and brake discs.  Adding air is so much easier and faster with the side discharge and the sensor on the straight thru tube.  I highly recommend them.  Couldn't find them anywhere but FOBO at the time.

There are only two benefits I can see for an internal sensor; anti-theft (or loss) and accurate tire temperature readings.  I've never yet had a problem with theft or loss of a sensor.  The tire temperature is a curiosity and directly related to the pressure anyway.  The MAIN THING is the pressure, or lack of.

fVwyHFDt1ci4gC2sOY8EFnOpS7zVbjXb5mDKv3cmtBZ5MaZlkbYCdktEl-bcGwpby8lzmRRtobqtczev

Thanks Lowndes.

I've got the Cyclops unit installed and love it.

Roger got me thinking about drilling a hole in the dash.

And I agree, I'd much rather have a display over using an app on my phone.

IMG_7033.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, kruuuzn said:

How did you mount yours?

I just got an Autmor tpms. Mounted it on the short round section of the handlebars of my R1200RT.

IMG_20190830_123759743.jpg

RecentConvert