IGNORED

Whip and the Harley Brothers do Sturgis!

Whip

Went twice years ago since my then boss paid for everything.  After the second time I convinced him it wasn't worth the time.  A lot of noise and riders putting along at 5-20mph.

Watch out for the Beaver Bar...

Take a hopped up belt sander and enter/race it. Like 220 V

Enjoy!! if you can cope!!  

Please POST Photos!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RandyShields said:

You will fit in better now that you have a Road King, but you will need to ditch the 'Stich!

Randy

Road King, now I really want pictures! :thumbsup: And the Stich, it should stay. It amuses & confuses them all at the same time. :grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

Have you ever checked out the flattrack/TT races?

Nope...and missed them again.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Kirkus said:

Went to Sturgis a week AFTER the rally in 2015. 

Saw a lot of Harley's on trailers heading east.

It was great .... no crowds and or waiting at gas pumps, restaurants, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMz1GbsMg8

Thanks for the ride along... brought back some memories from last year. 

Particularly liked this spot in on your video!  :thumbsup:

20190807_182611.jpg

• Like 1
RandyShields

Tewks' quote:  Road King, now I really want pictures! :thumbsup:

From Whip's It is Time post above, you see only one Road King in the shot -- there you go!

• Like 1

Like I said early in this thread I have been here many times but never for the event. My first impression are it is VERY organized and feels very safe. If you look carefully you can see a large LEO presence but if you aren’t looking you won’t notice.

We have all seen the pictures of the bikes lined up in four rows down Main Street and  they were there. But seeing it in person will stay with me for a long time. The massive amount of metal and money is overwhelming and almost like a monument to motorcyclist everywhere. 

We walked around Sturgis for a couple hours and easily found a place to eat. No lines anywhere. Friendly people serving us but the food was kinda shaky. 

Most of the participants are over 40 and look like (or act like) they have been here before. 

We rode our bikes 15 minutes back to our VROB around 11pm and sat outside on the porch till almost 1am.

My view this morning 

Today we see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer.

CAD176F5-0040-4113-910F-004407FC74E5.jpeg

• Like 5

We got on the road before 9 and took I90 to Rapid city and over the Rushmore. They had motorcycle only parking in their garage. 

2D20B382-525B-41A1-89AA-E68F2B38ADE8.jpeg

Rushmore was not any busier than the last couple times I visited. More bikes sure but not more people. Traffic in the area was a bit heavier and like the night before in Sturgis no problem getting food or gas. 

Everyone was nice and service was good.

We were too cheap to pay the money so we stopped on the side of the road to snap a pic. Promply got chased off by the Park Rangers. "No Pics For You" :cuz: Serious business!

I think this is the third time my friend Diamond (100 % Native America) has been to Crazy Horse and each time something gets to him. This time it was a narration and traditional dance.

D8E7C5A0-BDA9-469E-B793-F8FA03E50313.jpeg

CH...Doesn't appear to be much progress made since 2004. Oh, public fees and donations. :classic_blush: No no, we paid for that one! :grin:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

CH...Doesn't appear to be much progress made since 2004. Oh, public fees and donations. :classic_blush: No no, we paid for that one! :grin:

Far as I know (and they claim) no public money or tax dollars have been requested nor accepted and there has been a lot of progress in rock removal. 

I can see progress made vs when we were there in 2016....

That was my first visit, so I’ve no idea what it looked like in 2004. 

All on entrance fees and souvenirs, then? I do kind of remember the no tax dollar thing now. I'm looking for my pics, (album) it's  been a while and things get moved, and I forget. :dopeslap: :grin:

Pic of a pic...:dontknow:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edit....Whip's pic, for easy comparison. ;)

D8E7C5A0-BDA9-469E-B793-F8FA03E50313.jpe

I guess they have made some progress.

5 hours ago, Whip said:

315741A3-09C8-43BA-A471-1C3EDE6CFD7A.jpeg

2F3B8BD3-1B39-429C-A85D-BE255161CACC.jpeg

You're going to have to let your beard grow for a while if you're going to keep hanging with these guys. :)

John Ranalletta
6 hours ago, Whip said:

Far as I know (and they claim) no public money or tax dollars have been requested nor accepted and there has been a lot of progress in rock removal. 

When there we heard they rejected $ from Uncle (if it was ever offered) because they wanted to finish the monument, claiming Rushmore, a government project, is not yet finished.  Go figure.

https://mashable.com/2016/10/15/carving-mount-rushmore/

In March 1941, Borglum died of complications following surgery, and his son Lincoln took over the project. Though the original vision for the sculpture was never fully implemented, in October 1941 it was declared complete and funding was cut off.

While hanging out at our digs a rooster came by and a bet materialized.

“I will give Diamond $50 if he can catch that rooster and bring it to me.” ...said George “The Breeze”.

Ken “Chicken Catcher” said “I will catch it for $50.”

The next 20 minutes made for good reality TV. The chicken ran figure 8s around the bushes and trees while “Chicken Chaser” was doing his imitation of the Wylie Coyote with his hands out trying to keep  his first feet under him. 

In the end man proved himself the top of the food chain again ....

3BC39F2A-3D27-4754-8499-70C078576B79.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Chip

Before we arrived I was checking websites and forums about what to expect. I expected to go through a metal detector and drug sniffing dogs. When we got there there was nothing but a teenage ticket taker. 

You can see a few vehicles there and some horses in the audience.

At the Chip you can’t bring your car on the grounds but you can bring your horse or bike right up to the stage for the duration. 

I did not see a women with her clothes off.

I did not see any overt drug use.

I did not see anyone who had obviously drank too much.

I saw no one get sick.

No one confronted me or bothered me in anyway.

1CDFE64F-5105-494F-B04A-31CE3086DA9B.jpeg

A16B7A74-7E1B-448A-8048-DC447E52E23C.jpeg

• Like 2