IGNORED

Info requested for ride on Pacific Coast

My son and I would like to ride somewhere along the scenic Pacific Coast. I'd like suggestion on where to ride, please. We need to rent motorcycles, so an area not to far from a major airport, or an easy drive from Las Vegas would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20160924_135647524.jpg

LA to PAC grove

Fly to lax

lyft to eagle rider 

405 n >10 w>pch>23 n>126>150>33n>58w>101n>41w>1n> old creek road>Santa Rosa creek rd>1n>68w>Forest ave>Ocean view blvd>Lovers point inn. When you wake up the next morn stroll out to lovers pt and bring your cam. 

you could save time by 405>5>Frazier park>Hudson ranch rd>33n...

spirited riding encouraged. 

Eagle Rider has rental offices in the L.A. and San Francisco areas, so renting a motorcycle along your route is pretty easy.  

I live near Sacramento and ride the coast a few times a year.  The northern part of the Pacific Coast (north of San Francisco) is different from the southern section.  The southern section is pretty and twisty, but it's not a technical ride for the most part and is my choice when I want a more leisurely ride.  I never ride south of Ventura, but betweeen San Francisco and there, there are some pretty cool things.  Newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst's residence called San Simeon is a great visit, seal viewing at the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery is interesting, Big Sur is legendary for hiking, the famous Bixby bridge is worth a photo stop, Carmel and Monterey are always stops for me.  Monterey has a wonderful bayside aquarium.  And then there's beautiful San Francisco. 

The north coast has a different personality.  Once you cross the Golden Gate Bridge and get onto the coast highway, the road is full of tight twists.  North of Jenner the turns are pretty much continuous and many are what I'd deem technical.  (Canyon Chasers rates rides and they agree...you can read about their take here: https://www.canyonchasers.net/maps/63/ )   This part of the coast is often thought of as the prettiest part.  And, I would agree.  But, on a motorcycle while riding one tight turn after another with most of them having steep elevation changes I often find that I'm not enjoying the scenery as much as I would like to.  But, if twisties are your thing...well...read the Canyon Chasers page.  North of San Francisco the coastal part of the highway lasts about 160 miles.  After Rockport Hwy 1 turns toward Leggett leaves the coast behind and heads for the magnificent redwood forests of our state as it becomes Hwy 101.  There's a lot to see on this end of the coast too.  As you come over the GG bridge, you'll find quaint Sausalito.  Bodega Bay and Bodega is where Hitchcock filmed "The Birds".  Fort Ross is a former Russian outpost.  The small town of Mendocino is gorgeous and is home to an art community.  Just north of Mendocino is Fort Bragg with it's glass beach.  It has to be seen to be believed.  Once past Garberville you'll be into the big trees and following Hwy 101 takes you from one grove to another. 

You don't say how much time you have, or if you want to stay on the coast for your entire trip.  If you have time, there are world wonders nearby.  Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are not far.  The majesty of Mount Shasta can be thoroughly enjoyed by staying in the small town of Mt. Shasta.  Do you like mountain passes?  Tioga Pass (Yosemite N.P.) is breathtaking when ridden from the east.  Ebbetts and Sonora are challenging for any motorcyclist.  

Here's a tip if you can do this trip on "the fly".  Coastal fog can make a motorcycle trip on Hwy. 1 both dangerous and uncomfortable.  It also masks the beauty that you want to see.  I think I dislike fog more than I do rain.  Sometimes it can be so thick that one can barely see the road.  It is so prominent on our coast that one city, Pacifica, has a yearly "Fog Fest".   If you can do this on the fly, check the weather for a high pressure system that has parked or will park itself over California and the coast.  (happens often enough)  Look for any mention of the "marine layer" (fog) being pushed away from the coast.  Summer is the worst time for fog, but fall, winter and spring are usually better and if you have warm clothes, the coast can be ridden all year long if you catch it on a sunny day(s).  

I hope some of this is helpful...

• Like 1
Bill_Walker
41 minutes ago, RPondaRoad said:

The small town of Mendocino is gorgeous and is home to an art community. 

And its lone gas station has the most expensive gas anywhere on the coast!

If you want to rent in San Francisco, I've heard good things about Dubbelju, and Moto Quest also rents from there.  And there's an Eagle Rider location that specializes in BMWs  (I was looking to rent there in May and did my research).

8 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

And its lone gas station has the most expensive gas anywhere on the coast!

I

Bill, I stopped at the gas station once. Couldn't believe the price.

• 11 months later...

I also appreciate the input, didn't know about the Mendocino gas station.  Leaving my digs in Western Washington Friday morning for a complete PC ride to Ventura before turning inland.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:45 AM, Marty Hill said:

Bill, I stopped at the gas station once. Couldn't believe the price.

Last July, somewhere along the PCH, Dave and I (mostly I) needed gas, so stopped in the first place we saw.  I heard loudly over the i'come "HOLY S*@$T, do you see the price?!"   At $5.50/gal I only bought 2 gallons, enough to get to a more-reasonable place where it was only $4.00/gal.  :3:

Speaking of high gas prices on the PCH . . .

On 2/4/2019 at 11:59 AM, Indy Dave said:

Word to the frugal - be ready to open your wallet if you want to fuel up at the Whale Watcher . . .20180706_125252.thumb.jpg.b08d863ce4a47e0d18eb9152a52ebeca.jpg

• Like 4

Apologies for the photo bomb on the last post - I thought I had edited out the extra photos and narrative...mI must not have saved the changes.

Fixed now.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, RPondaRoad said:

Eagle Rider has rental offices in the L.A. and San Francisco areas, so renting a motorcycle along your route is pretty easy.  

I live near Sacramento and ride the coast a few times a year.  The northern part of the Pacific Coast (north of San Francisco) is different from the southern section.  The southern section is pretty and twisty, but it's not a technical ride for the most part and is my choice when I want a more leisurely ride.  I never ride south of Ventura, but betweeen San Francisco and there, there are some pretty cool things.  Newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst's residence called San Simeon is a great visit, seal viewing at the Piedras Blancas elephant seal rookery is interesting, Big Sur is legendary for hiking, the famous Bixby bridge is worth a photo stop, Carmel and Monterey are always stops for me.  Monterey has a wonderful bayside aquarium.  And then there's beautiful San Francisco. 

The north coast has a different personality.  Once you cross the Golden Gate Bridge and get onto the coast highway, the road is full of tight twists.  North of Jenner the turns are pretty much continuous and many are what I'd deem technical.  (Canyon Chasers rates rides and they agree...you can read about their take here: https://www.canyonchasers.net/maps/63/ )   This part of the coast is often thought of as the prettiest part.  And, I would agree.  But, on a motorcycle while riding one tight turn after another with most of them having steep elevation changes I often find that I'm not enjoying the scenery as much as I would like to.  But, if twisties are your thing...well...read the Canyon Chasers page.  North of San Francisco the coastal part of the highway lasts about 160 miles.  After Rockport Hwy 1 turns toward Leggett leaves the coast behind and heads for the magnificent redwood forests of our state as it becomes Hwy 101.  There's a lot to see on this end of the coast too.  As you come over the GG bridge, you'll find quaint Sausalito.  Bodega Bay and Bodega is where Hitchcock filmed "The Birds".  Fort Ross is a former Russian outpost.  The small town of Mendocino is gorgeous and is home to an art community.  Just north of Mendocino is Fort Bragg with it's glass beach.  It has to be seen to be believed.  Once past Garberville you'll be into the big trees and following Hwy 101 takes you from one grove to another. 

You don't say how much time you have, or if you want to stay on the coast for your entire trip.  If you have time, there are world wonders nearby.  Yosemite, Lassen, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are not far.  The majesty of Mount Shasta can be thoroughly enjoyed by staying in the small town of Mt. Shasta.  Do you like mountain passes?  Tioga Pass (Yosemite N.P.) is breathtaking when ridden from the east.  Ebbetts and Sonora are challenging for any motorcyclist.  

Here's a tip if you can do this trip on "the fly".  Coastal fog can make a motorcycle trip on Hwy. 1 both dangerous and uncomfortable.  It also masks the beauty that you want to see.  I think I dislike fog more than I do rain.  Sometimes it can be so thick that one can barely see the road.  It is so prominent on our coast that one city, Pacifica, has a yearly "Fog Fest".   If you can do this on the fly, check the weather for a high pressure system that has parked or will park itself over California and the coast.  (happens often enough)  Look for any mention of the "marine layer" (fog) being pushed away from the coast.  Summer is the worst time for fog, but fall, winter and spring are usually better and if you have warm clothes, the coast can be ridden all year long if you catch it on a sunny day(s).  

I hope some of this is helpful...

Ponda, I really want to thank you for this post. I'm planning a ride out from AZ sometime later in September after I take delivery of the new '16 RT I just bought. I'm looking for a ride that has scenery and low traffic, decent roads and a chance to ride for a while - this post is really helpful and awesome. :18:

• Thanks 1

This was a fun little road winding down, down, down to Hwy 1. Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, Big Sur, CA.

821311450_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.0733394f7dd40def98a570ec9d996c1d.png

• Like 4
On 8/1/2019 at 4:48 AM, Rick in NV said:

My son and I would like to ride somewhere along the scenic Pacific Coast. I'd like suggestion on where to ride, please. We need to rent motorcycles, so an area not to far from a major airport, or an easy drive from Las Vegas would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20160924_135647524.jpg

So excited!