IGNORED

Neutral switch??

bcoles

Lately my 07 RT will not start if I have it in gear with the clutch engaged. I tried the forum search will no luck. The bike starts fine if I put it in neutral. Any help on which part I need to replace would be greatly appreciated. Bryan.

8 minutes ago, bcoles said:

Lately my 07 RT will not start if I have it in gear with the clutch engaged. I tried the forum search will no luck. The bike starts fine if I put it in neutral. Any help on which part I need to replace would be greatly appreciated. Bryan.

Afternoon bcoles

I shouldn't start when IN GEAR & the clutch engaged.

Do you mean-- I won't start when IN GEAR & the clutch DIS-ENGAGED (ie clutch lever pulled in?) 

If you meant to say -- I won't start when IN GEAR & the clutch DIS-ENGAGED (ie clutch lever pulled in?)  then that usually points to a failed clutch  lever assembly micro switch.

Thanks dirtrider, I indeed meant clutch dis-engaged. Any idea where I might buy a clutch lever assembly micro switch? Do you happen to know the part number of the micro switch? Thanks, Bryan.

2 minutes ago, bcoles said:

Thanks dirtrider, I indeed meant clutch dis-engaged. Any idea where I might buy a clutch lever assembly micro switch? Do you happen to know the part number of the micro switch? Thanks, Bryan.

Afternoon bcoles

Does your bike have cruise control? That makes a difference.

You might be able to  bend the switch activating lever just enough to make it work again. (you will have to look in there to see if you can do that without taking things apart farther.

While your problem points to a failed clutch lever switch there is also the possibility of a broken wire going to the switch (so this should be checked out before spending big money on the switch. 

Yes, I have CC. Dirtrider, I'm not sure where the switch is located on my bike. Do you know where I might look for an online view of the switch.  I'm off to golf presently so will return in 5 hours. Thanks, Bryan.

55 minutes ago, bcoles said:

Yes, I have CC. Dirtrider, I'm not sure where the switch is located on my bike. Do you know where I might look for an online view of the switch.  I'm off to golf presently so will return in 5 hours. Thanks, Bryan.

Afternoon bcoles

The switch is under a cover on the clutch lever housing (see picture below)

The switch is fairly easy to access but the switch pig tail plug is a bugger to get to.

With cruise control--  New switch part number is 61317690700  "dual micro switch" Price=   $91.64

7FjeFL6.jpg

• Like 1

Dirtrider, thank you so much for the picture, part number and the explanation. Greatly appreciated! Will have a look tomorrow. Bryan.