IGNORED

Which Stop n Go tire plugger to buy?

Rottweiler

If you've read my "What I learned about flat tires" post, you know I'm in the market for a quality tire plugger. The Stop n Go system has been highly recomended in the past but which one should I buy? I don't need an inflator, just the plugger. There is the pocket tire plugger for about $32 and the standard plugger for about $38. I'm sure the standard works better but is it worth the additional size, the money difference is neglegable. Any other recomendations are appreciated. Lets hear from people who have acually used these products in the field. Thanks!

Some folks have had luck with the DynaPlug unit. Others use the traditional sticky "bugger" type plug.

Whatever you use, be careful not to cut any of the steel belt on the tire when you clean out the puncture, you don't need further damage.

Ride Safe thumbsup.gif

Doesn't seem to me it will make a difference which one you buy. As long as you ALWAYS pack it and a small compressor on your bike, you will never need it!

Of course the first time you leave it at home you're gonna get a flat! grin.gif

This has always been true for me anyway.

Bought the Pocket as it fit under the saddle and the incredibly small compressor as it fit in my gap bag under the tail. Oh, and

As long as you ALWAYS pack it and a small compressor on your bike, you will never need it!

Of course the first time you leave it at home you're gonna get a flat!

I have not had a flat since buying it. crazy.gif

I'd pass on the stop n go. I plugged a nail hole and it still seeped air. I was able to push the plug out very easily with the end of a ball point pen. I then used the sticky string with glue. It did not leak and to test its hold I pulled on the end with pliers. It would not budge. without that big stop n go gun my repair kit is more of a manageable size.

Jerry Johnston

I bought the Larger size S-N-G and had excellent results with it in the middle of Montana. I had two holes caused by the nail going in and working it's way back out - about an inch apart. I have since purchased the Dyna-kit also for small holes since I had to ream out the hole to use the S-N-Go plug. I also carry a small Wallmart type compressor. I took the cae off of it and added a cable to plug into the accessory outlet.

Save your money and get a rope type plug kit. Camel makes a good kit with "T" handle reamer, "T" handle plugger, cement and ropes for about $10. Very high quality, USA made and will work much better and keep the hole plugged. And keeping air in the tire is what it is all about. thumbsup.gif The difference in price will pay for a small air compressor too. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I have had the best luck with the string type repair kits. You can find them at your local auto parts store or Walmart.

I've had good luck with the string type kits as well. I'm only going to patch one until the soonest opportunity to replace it. I'm sure many run them for the remaining life of the tire, but I'm not going to trust a plug for any length of time other than to get me where I can replace the tire.

FYI, in Maine and some other states now, rope plugs are not satisfactory to pass inspection (if the mechanic is sharp enough to catch it). They require a mushroom type plug to be "legal".

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have already ordered more Dynaplugs and I'm thinking of getting the pocket plugger AND a rope type plugger too. One can never be too prepared.

Now where did I put that belt, I've got nothing to hook these suspenders to. grin.gif

Can anyone provide a link to a site showing this Save your money and get a rope type plug kit. Camel makes a good kit with "T" handle reamer, "T" handle plugger, cement and ropes for about $10 so I can see what it looks like?

TIA,

I have the small kit and had to use it last week. Worked great !! No leak at all for the 18 hours it took me to get the tire properly repaired.

Make sure you throw a pair of pliers onboard, the Stop and Go repair require them and there are none in the BMW toolkit.

Hi Rotti, my 2 cents worth: buy two or three, what ever you're comfortable with and then practice on an old tire! I used to do this with my "team" and it really made a big difference. At your local shop, ask the boss/tech for a few old tires and have them drill a hole or two in it. Then, practice using the different products. It takes some time, and people look at you funny, but when the time comes to use them on a flat (it's dark, raining, cold, etc.) you'll be much better prepared for the task knowing you can do it right.

Dan smile.gif

Rottweiler, I have the larger S-N-G and have used it successfully many times, both for bikes and cars. If you want to see it first-hand, PM me. I'm in Metuchen.

John Bentall

I bought the Stop 'n Go pocket plugger and for me it was absolutely useless. I thought the gun-type would be better, then i read this thread (oops!) , then the gun arrived - and it works perfectly as I expected, so my confidence is back.

I bought the Stop 'n Go pocket plugger and for me it was absolutely useless. I thought the gun-type would be better, then i read this thread (oops!) , then the gun arrived - and it works perfectly as I expected, so my confidence is back.

Now I just used the pocket plugger last week and it worked perfectly. What seemed to be the problem??

Archived