IGNORED

Adding lights, where to connect power with key

greenrider

Hi

I would like to add lights and such to my 2011 r1200rt. How do I connect so that they will power of when key is turned off. Was planning on connecting to battery with a relay to ignition but where or how can it be done?

Thanks in advance

Most people connect the trigger for the relay to the headlight or running light (small light in corner of headlight).

Then use battery for the power to the lights.

I added a relay and a fuse block and powered it from the accessory socket power. the power automatically turns off 30 seconds after the key turns off so you do not need to worry about leaving any lights or accessories on to drain the battery. I powered the accessory socket from the fuse block.

Thanks

Roger l

• 1 month later...

So I tried connecting the wire for the relay into the rear tail light. But I only get 3 volts. Not enough to activate the relay. 

Is the trail light actually only 3 volts?

The tail light uses a single filament bulb.  When the brake is applied, it receives the full nominal 12V.  As a tail light, the voltage is pulsed on and off  by the ZFE  (central computer) rapidly enough to appear continuously lit, but the average voltage is probably only 3 or 4 volts.  The constant on/off makes this a poor source for a relay trigger.

Thanks

I was hoping to tap in where the lights turn off as soon as the key is turned off.

But resorted to tying in to the accessory plug. 

At the six-conductor plug on the back of the headlight housing, there is a gray-blue wire for the small parking lights that is on/off with the ignition. It can be a little harder to tap without removing body panels, but there is no shutdown delay.  There may be other options, (diagnostic connection or alarm ?), but I know this one works.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, greenrider said:

So I tried connecting the wire for the relay into the rear tail light. But I only get 3 volts. Not enough to activate the relay. 

Is the trail light actually only 3 volts?

Morning  greenrider

No, the tail  light is closer to a pulsed 8 volts, with brake light being continuous 12v+ engine off & 13v+ with engine running.

As Larry says the tail light is pulse width modulated (pulsed power) 12v/0v/12v/0v/12v/0v etc. with the pulsed on-time being long enough to equal 8 volts nominal across the bulb.

More than likely you only  measured 3 volts as your meter wasn't quick enough responding to average out the pulses & give a credible (true) average, (3 volts would barely make the rear bulb glow).