IGNORED

05 RT Replace Final Drive?

Sonor

DTrider said, " Difficult to tell what your next repair will be but a drive shaft failure is probably not out of the question plus your early (2005) RT does have the early version  smaller pinon bearing in the final drive."

What does it take to replace this?  Do you keep the smaller pinon bearing or upgrade to something newer? 

32 minutes ago, Sonor said:

DTrider said, " Difficult to tell what your next repair will be but a drive shaft failure is probably not out of the question plus your early (2005) RT does have the early version  smaller pinon bearing in the final drive."

What does it take to replace this?  Do you keep the smaller pinon bearing or upgrade to something newer? 

Morning  Sonor

I'm not sure what  your options are as  the early (pre 8/06) small pinion bearing final drive was used on the pre (8/06) I-ABS (wizzy) brake 1200 bikes. 

You would need to go to a  post 8/06  final drive to get the larger rear pinion bearing but those drives were for the later I-ABS gen2 (non wizzy) brake bikes.

It might or might not work due to possible rear wheel speed senor conflicts. I haven't ever tried it or done it so I really can't give you a positive yes or no.  

My BMW parts book still shows a different Gen1 & Gen2 final drive so if we go only by the book then they are not swappable (you would think that if one final drive would work for both pre 8/06 & post 8/06 then BMW would only list the later drive for all models)

• 3 months later...

The previous owner of my 2005 had a rear gear problem at 28,532 miles. The main rear gear housing (pinion and ring gear)  had to be replaced, the bearing diameter was apparently machined oversize from the factory. Cost of housing was $2084 US in 2015. Bike has 34K miles now and rear end still feels tight, problem solved I hope.

24 minutes ago, Cappra said:

The previous owner of my 2005 had a rear gear problem at 28,532 miles. The main rear gear housing (pinion and ring gear)  had to be replaced, the bearing diameter was apparently machined oversize from the factory. Cost of housing was $2084 US in 2015. Bike has 34K miles now and rear end still feels tight, problem solved I hope.

Afternoon  Cappra

It probably wasn't a machining problem, the 2005 BMW 1200RT came with a final drive that had a smaller rear pinion bearing (30mm), due to a number of rear bearing failures, in late 2006 BMW increased the final drive rear pinion bearing to (32mm). (this pretty well eliminated the rear pinion bearing failures) 

On most 2005/early 2006 final drives that failed BMW just installed the entire  later (larger rear pinion bearing) final drive as a replacement. (this pretty well eliminated the pinion bearing failures)