IGNORED

2013 RT Speedometer needle

RTJohn

While trying to remove my GPS with the cradle attached, I inadvertently bumped the speedometer needle. I didn't notice until I reinstalled it. I took off on a checkout run and noticed the needle was starting at subzero. At 75mph on my GPS, the speedometer said 60mph. I went through the exercise of removing it all, taking the clear weather cover off, pushing the needle to zero, and reassembling it all. I took off on another checkout run and the same thing happened. WTF?

Any ideas other than taking it to Burbank BMW?

What you don't mention is how the needle was exposed in the first place. I have a '13 and the GPS is mounted to a crossbar above the instruments between the windshield and the fairing. Can you post a picture of your installation? Without it there's not much anyone can do to help.

Long story, the cradle won't release the GPS, a Nav V. I had to take the GPS with the stuck cradle off. I couldn't get the cords out without removing the instrument cover and the clear weather cover. Thats when the needle got bumped.

1 hour ago, RTJohn said:

Long story, the cradle won't release the GPS, a Nav V. I had to take the GPS with the stuck cradle off. I couldn't get the cords out without removing the instrument cover and the clear weather cover. Thats when the needle got bumped.

Evening John

No way to know what got  knocked out of adjustment or alignment but that needle sort of floats with the armature spindle so possibly you bent the needle.

In any case that speedometer cluster costs over $1200.00 new  plus programming so you probably don't want to mess with it unless you know exactly what do & what it needs. 

Even the BMW dealer wouldn't be my first choice as they usually just replace things like that.

If you have a GOOD speedometer repair shop in your area that would probably be my first choice as they deal with similar things weekly.   The usually repair not replace.