Sign in to follow this  
johnlt

Hardcopy maps a thing of the past?

johnlt

I found out today the Tucson Map and Flag store has gone out of business.  The owner for the last 50 years said the demand for hardcopy maps has gone down significantly and the local community can't support a store anymore.  Maybe I'm  "old and old fashioned" but I like a hardcopy map that gives you detail and context.  Most digital softcopy maps give you either but not both in one display.  I guess its just a sign of the times.

johnlt

Bill_Walker

You can get maps from Amazon.  And the Butler motorcycle maps are great!

• Like 3

roadscholar

Not only do paper maps give context and a lot more detail from what I've seen (the small and big picture) but if you study them at all it's easier to know then recall where you are/were in the grand scheme of things. In my dualsport crowd the GPS has become a crutch and without it the user usually doesn't have a clue where they are/were and is unable to discuss it (referring to tiny roads and trails). 

Barnes and Noble has a map section and carry the state atlas' for our area (DeLorme). When I'm out west I use Benchmark state atlas' they're actually a little better.

LBump

I like a compass... 

Though a good map of a given area is a great tool.

A GPS is a great toll  tool too, but you'll need consent connection, connectivity, satellite etc. More so with a  phone device.

Grease pencil road numbers on a tank bag for a route are a great way to travel with succinct directions and no fiddling with technology. 

You need to trust your planning.

IMO :jaw:

BendBill

Another vote for Butler maps.  Too often, I'm  out of cell range in the back of beyond and cannot get  my bearings via cell phone.

dba

Some of the modern GPS units can tell you how to get there, but not necessarily where you are.  Before every road trip, I go through my paper map collection and check to see if I have ones for where I'm going and hit up AAA if I need new ones.  

longjohn
2 hours ago, dba said:

Some of the modern GPS units can tell you how to get there, but not necessarily where you are.  Before every road trip, I go through my paper map collection and check to see if I have ones for where I'm going and hit up AAA if I need new ones.  

AAA has dropped the ball in recent years, at least with respect to their CA maps.  Their central section map which covers roughly Yosemite to the coast  is no longer printed.

Skywagon

I still keep paper maps on the bike.....a US Atlas and a map of Texas and Louisiana where I ride the most.  I rarely use them but they are there when I want to see the big picture versus scrolling through a small screen that seldom does what I want it to do.  Viva la papel…  I know people like the butler maps, but I'm not a fan of them.  

Bill_Walker
6 hours ago, dba said:

Some of the modern GPS units can tell you how to get there, but not necessarily where you are.

All the Garmins of my acquaintence will tell you where you are if you touch the vehicle icon on the map.  And of course, they show your location on the map.  Just zoom out for context.

dba
On 7/29/2019 at 8:44 PM, Bill_Walker said:

All the Garmins of my acquaintence will tell you where you are if you touch the vehicle icon on the map.  And of course, they show your location on the map.  Just zoom out for context.

Of course they will if you work it; but navigating a 5 inch screen pales to spreading out a large map across the seat or trunk.  Especially if you can find a shady spot out of the sun.

• Like 2

Bill_Walker
On 8/3/2019 at 10:04 PM, dba said:

Of course they will if you work it; but navigating a 5 inch screen pales to spreading out a large map across the seat or trunk.  Especially if you can find a shady spot out of the sun.

Yes, but you can first find your location on the GPS so you can then find your location on the paper map for planning.  I fully agree that there's not enough context on the tiny screen, especially since details go away as you zoom out (a problem that Google Maps and BaseCamp also have).

Selden

Before I rode to Alaska, a friend offered to loan me his GPS. I looked at a map and said "Why, there aren't many navigational choices." Ten days into the ride, I found that my short term memory seemed to have improved considerably with the relative absence of screen time in front of a computer, and the need to remember where I was headed after a stop for a map check.

Unlike slide rule vs electronic calculator, a map and a GPS are different, but complementary tools. I use my GPS mainly as a trip computer, rarely for routing, but it is great for "Hey, I wonder where this road leads?" explorations, because I know the GPS can always guide me back to my starting point.

My old Garmin Nuvi died last spring, and I replaced it with a newer model with the same size screen so that I could use the old GPS mount. Garmin has improved the UI considerably, adding a lot more detail, which is good up to a point, but more info means more information density, so it really needs a 6" screen or even larger.

• Like 1

Dennis Andress

Someday I'll have a Global Positioning Sphere...

image.png.6da98df522e6c9b8ed49be4c7bc26f9a.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1