IGNORED

Cruise control not resuming or slowing bike down when switch is pulled back.

KDeline

Title says it all. 2009 R1200RT with 38,000 miles. I can start the cruise by pushing the paddle forward and accelerate from a set speed but cannot slow or resume when the paddle is pulled back. Before I start pulling things apart, is there something I can squirt into the switch assembly to see if I can clean the contacts or displace possible water contamination? WD40? What can I look for?

7 hours ago, KDeline said:

Title says it all. 2009 R1200RT with 38,000 miles. I can start the cruise by pushing the paddle forward and accelerate from a set speed but cannot slow or resume when the paddle is pulled back. Before I start pulling things apart, is there something I can squirt into the switch assembly to see if I can clean the contacts or displace possible water contamination? WD40? What can I look for?

Morning  KDeline   

That does sound like a bad switch (or open wire between resume switch & the cruise control module). I'm not sure about cleaning as I can't remember if that 2009 cruise switch contains contact switches or foil type switches. I had one apart years ago but can't remember what type internal switches.  (you really don't want to spray anything into foil type switches).  You can spray contact cleaner into contact type switches.

You can run a (home type) cruise control test but that won't show you anything that you don't already know.